Hepatitis C Community
Pegasus and Ribovarin Therapy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pegasus and Ribovarin Therapy

I am just about to start my therapy, been to the classes, and thought I was prepared for what was to come, until the pharmacist called yesterday and told me the prescription would be $700.00 a month for the next year.  I made sure we were talking about the same medicine, and he said he had double checked what Blue Cross & Blue Shield (Group 105) was paying.  My doctor nor any of the nurses, or instructors had indicated this treatment would be costing anywhere near that, after insurance.  Does this sound like a mistake.

Steven sends...
The retail one month cost for pegasus is about $1300 for 4 shots and about $1100 for the copegus pills per month.

Insurance copayments can range from about $20 per month and up. I started out paying about $40 per month until the last 6 months when it went up tp about $400 per month when my company change insurance carriers. I know others have even payed more> You need to talk with your insurance company.

You also need to consider the cost of other drugs you may need as you get into tx (treatment) such as anti deppresants, sleeping aids, and other very expensive drugs to keep up your white and red blood counts such as Procrit and Neupogin (spelling?)

Also each pharmacy can charge different prices. I know some charge about $1800 for pegasus so shop around.
like you my copay was outrageous at first-but then i met my yearly out of pocket limit and now ins pays 100% you might want to check & see if there's an out of pocket limit on your policy-also something interesting i noticed-once i met my out of pocket limit and the pharmacy knew my ins was paying 100% they have double the cost of my meds-seems like price gouging to me
It's sad to say, but if you didn't have Rx insurance, you could get it from the drug company free of charge. That's how I got my tx. I am on Medicare and it doesn't pay for Rx's. Check with your insurance and see if they will cut you a better deal than that.
Good luck. I was on Pegasys and Copegus for 48 weeks and I had to have Neupogen once. But the anti-depressants and vitamins were a strain on my pocketbook. Being on Soc. Sec., it got real dicey there at times. Now that I am off tx, I feel a lot better, tho I still have a horrendous rash. It will pass with time.
I hope you can find the help you need. Even tho you have ins. I would still contact Roche and see if they will help at all.
Good luck and SVR for everyone!
I am on Peg-intron and Ribaviran (generic; Rebetol was the brand name).  Ins pays about $1300/mo for the Peg and $700/mo for the Riba (was $1250 on brand name).  Check your max out of pocket cost.  My ins covers 100% after my deductible of $600.
Another thought might be to wait til January and get all the meds in the same year to avoid further deductibles.

Good luck to you.
Man, sorry to hear about the high price of tx..That sucks!! It is so ridiculous, the way things work out.. Here, you have insurance, work, pay taxes etc, and have to pay so much.. Now if you didn't work, didn't have insurance, you would get a free ride.. My mom is on SSI, and gets free health insurance.. Everything is covered, no copays or anything..She is about to start tx too, and has no copay..
The system sucks..

Hey, just wanted to add something that my Dr mentioned yesterday.. Once on tx, to throw away hairbrushes, toothbrushes, and razors, every month.. That you could reinfect yourself, via one of these..Makes alot of sense.. If you reach undetectable, then reinfect yourself with a razor or toothbrush, that would suck!!!
Just a little tip, don't know if anyone else was told this by their Dr, but thought it was worthy to pass along..
Great heads up.  Thanks.
Do contact both Roche and Scherring.. they both have programs where they will help cut cost for you/ they'll send you the forms for you and your doc to fill out.. maybe they'll accept just what ins will pay.. It is worth a try.  Good Luck!
I don't see the need to throw out a hairbrush. who brushes so hard that they draw blood into the brush? Please!!
the other items have benn discussed and some think you might reinfect yourself and ohters don't, though as Scott said if you are negative no infection should occur.  I did nothing differenet, I figure the meds would kill  anything that got back in. And now that I am negative...what is the need? except the reccomended toothbrush change. by the dentist.
When I stop tx, I will replace the toothbrush no matter how old it is, just for paranoia's sake.
Go to janis7hepc.com. That sight has the phone numbers for the assistance programs for both Scherring and Rothe. And they have other info for helping w/ co-pays. I used to complain about how expensive our insurance was and how higgh the co-pays were, until I only had to pay 40.00 for peg and 40.00 for riba every month. I hope you find the help you need.  Joni
Haha  Well,,,don't have to worry about hairbrush because it just isn't in use lately,  Its called getting up and patting your strands in place LOL   Yeah,,,I agree that while we are on meds,,,that would kill anything and actually first 3 months,,,I was kinda paranoid and changed out alot like my razor weekly,,toothbrush every few weeks but now much more relaxed...
Sorry just have to say something about that last post to me. What did you think that i meant? I was being plain straight honest and yet you seemed to think i was having a dig. There was not the slightest bit of meaness in there and now i'm really puzzeled.
SH
my beautiful mind interpreted it to mean that you could care less what I have to say one way or another...my apologies for  that part of my brain that misinterprets short statements, if it misunderstood. The limitations of the written word. I should have my kid proof read for me? She sure can write! If I interpreted correctly, my respect to your honesty, even though some days it is hard to accept honesty.
I meant what I said about your humor...have gotten many a chuckle on dark days...and pray that you have many funny witty days to share with us.
Thanks for replying, i was realy cut up this morning ,i meant what i said your interlect and humour are a real bright spot for me. Bit pathetic i know but i feel all lifted now. Hope you're ok
SH
glad the misunderstanding is Ok now both you folks make many of my days enjoyable
Cutie yes feel free to use any and all of my words of wisdom the royalty payments can be negotiated by my lawyers Cheatem and Howe
They work at the illustrious law firm of Seemore and Dolittle!!

Sammy Did ya stop talking to me or have I become untouchable? you old fart.Oh BTW hows your liver walks going?
Contact Managed RX. They will accept the 80% as full payment. They were a life saver for me. The number is 1-800-799-8765.

Honey,
  Went to the dr. today. They are already doing a RNA quantitative test on me at 4 weeks! They say they routinely do them that early for geno 2s. Anyway, so far sides are'nt too bad, getting tired a little easier and out of breath a lot. But, really, can't complain too much. How are you doing? I know you haven't been feeling great lately.
I have bc/bs 105 and did the mail pharmacy got 90 day supply (12
shots for 35 dollars they also paid shiping.the same with copegas
420 for $35 bucks.my plan is the federal employee plan.(retired)If you have your card look on back to see if you have mail service,i hope you do...your doctor can call in for 90 day supply
with 3 renewals.i already got a renewal...GOD Bless you and best
of luck during your treatment.PS i am about to get shot 15 on monday...and been clear for 4 weeks....
New to group but need the support.  Started my tx 4 weeks ago.  Am feeling better than I was told i would (so far!) but very tired & a little achey (achy).  My white count went up on Thursday & had to start antibiotics for possible sinus infection.  Thanks for having me here & I hope to hear from you.
Are you for real? Or do you just get off spreading fear and drama? Throw out hairbrushes, razors, toothbrushes...re-infect while on treatment? I SERIOUSLY doubt your intentions and integrity, and don't try to avoid responsibility by crying, "I',m just passin along' what my doctor told me!'  Stupid (truly) is as stupid does. Interesting that you have no profile info, too.
Hope this question doesn't sound stupid, but how could a person "re-infect" themselves while on treatment?  Wouldn't this be like catching it twice? Don't you have antibodies that would protect against a new introduction of the virus?
Which leads me to a legitimate question (I'm not trying to yank anyone's chain), but I have wondered and have not seen this addressed any where:  If you have hep c, can you "catch" hep c again from another person who has a different genotype, either by blood to blood contact or through sex?  or can it be passed back and forth with the same genotype? or are you immune from any other hep c virus coming into your body?
Really want to know.  Thanks.
"SnookMan" is for real but since his post is five years old, I'll speak on his behalf as he doesn't come around here much.

Snookman treated with Dr. S. of Miami, arguably one of the best liver specialists in the country. I also threw out such personal items after I became UND at week 6 and periodically during treatment as well as after tx until SVR. Razors and toothbrushes would come to the top of the list. Threw razors out after each useand changed toothbrushes weekly. The virus can live on surfaces for days so why take the chance of reinfection, however small it may be.
I never threw out any razors or toothbrushes or hairbrushes.  I'm still UND at 44 wks probably cleared around wk 15.  
Did not re-infect myself and cut myself with my razor several times.  PCR shows steady log drop, no extreme increase or decrease in virus over 14 wk period.  I've never seen any published literature advising us to throw away our personal items each week because of re-infection to ourselves so I think that concept is rather far fetched.  I'm not saying it's totally impossible but if it were in jeopardy all HCV treatment advisories would include those instructions.  No sharing of personal items for sure.
Trinity

It's a bit interesting how information flows in cycles in this forum.  For example, it was common for many people to preface with statements like 'there are no doctors on this forum but...'  There was also a time when 'change razors and toothbrushes' was a common recommendation.  Snook man and Snookmeister is indeed a real person (anothe South Florida guy at that).  He just stopped by a short time back.  And yes, I have seen the 'razor and toothbush' thing in reputable web locations.
Thanks for pointing out the date thing/out-dated posts.  Someone else just pointed this out to me.  I thought I was reading from a list of new posts, but see I have to check the dates on each posting.  
But I still don't understand how you can reinfect yourself, or if that's even possible.
But I see there's a ton of informtion that people are getting and sharing and that's great.  I don't know where you are getting it.  The CDC still says the same thing it said several years ago, and when I went to a "specialist" after being newly diagnosed the first thing out of his mouth was "Don't talk, I'll do all the talking.  If you have any questions after you read this brochure, you can call the nurse."  I swear.  And after I let my primary physician talk me into seing another "specialist" several years later, I was seen by a nurse who was literally yawning in my face in boredom, would not answer any questions, walked out of the room repeatedly and left me hanging and basically only wanted me to join a study, but not until I had a biopsy.  And then I read the inserts on the drugs.  So if I seem a little turned off by standard medical care and seem so uninformed, perhaps this will shed some light.
Don't talk, I'll do all the talking...  If you have any questions after you read this brochure, you can call the nurse."  ... I was seen by a nurse who was literally yawning in my face in boredom, would not answer any questions...
----------------
Sorry about that but probably all too common and one of the reasons for this place. The reinfection answer has simply been passed along anecdotally from what several liver specialists have told their patients. The were presented as anecdotal but sometimes that's all we have. Always best to check and double-check everything here because while no one will yawn in your face there is a lot of misinformation in all these forums but unfortunately a lot of misinformation in the doctors offices as well. If you put the time in hopefully you will be able to separate things.
It absolutely cures Hep C
i start treatment today,so scared.
Hi Nancy,

You’ll be fine; most of us have gone through at least one course of treatment, and have come out the other side OK. What can you tell us about yourself?

Bill
If you start a new thread, Nancy, you will hear from more people.

When my husband started treatment a few months ago, I, too, was very scared.  But it turned out a lot less bad than I had feared.  He's doing okay.  Some people don't have terrible side effects, and maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.  Either way you're doing something about your Hep C and that's a good thing!

Best of luck to you!
Hi Nancy my name is Kat and I start Treatment next week, and I am so horrified by reading all of the side affects of Pegasus!! What was your first shot experience like?

Kat
Hi Kat; this is an old thread. You should probably start a new one by scrolling to the top of the page, and clicking on the green “post a question” button. Your thoughts will probably get lost here. Welcome to the discussion group,

Bill
Hi, my name is CW, I am in week 28, I have type 1, I cleared in 12 weeks, I'm craztier than a depressed mentanOl case, I feel fine physically, Medical marijauna is all I take beside treatment pills, they can have all those bug pills, I'm here to tell you you don't need any of that s**t.  Of cource everybody is different, just saying,
Im new here but ive been on treatment since the start of th year and was told about a month ago that my levels were undetectable which is great. I havent had that many side effects. I find the the first injection out of every pack gives me fever and then im fine for the rest of the month. I have just noticed though that my hair is starting to fall out big time :( Has anyone else had this problem?
-Ace
Well its over and im cured:)still have cyrosis though.Thank you all for your kindness.
I finished it and am better it was the most horrible thing i have ever done.Thank you for your support.
Terrible i wont lie,but it was a bit better a few weeks later when i got some what used to it.my thoughts and prayers are with you.
I wanted to tell others as i went thru the program 8 years or more ago ang was on it for 8 months, i was blessed to be off it in that length of time. my doctor arranged for the drug company to pay the entire bill. i didnt pay a cent,so if you know anyone please tell them to get theor docs to ask and the money will be taken care of...it saved my life.my wife was not so lucky as i buried her the same year whilr going through the already misery i was dealing with.. God save me!
ALSO i forgot to add, i didnt do any pills,i did injections...self administered
I while in treatment since i didnt want any food... i spent alot of time at gnc buying power shakes that i still love but cant afford, with doctoring them up with fruit,they also kept me from dehydration and starvatiobn and alot of vitamins!
Seeing it"s been 7 years ..lets hope Steve is just about finished up  :)
hi there all, i am just about to start treatment with geno 3 hepC. i am a nurse but have not had to deal with this b4. would someone pls say something poitive++ as i am pretty nervous right now. i know the negs-- but surely there r some pos's++ thanks
hi, glad you are here!

You found a really old thread, you should really read some of the newer posts, there is tons of positive things going on!
try this one,  not necessarily a new thread, but lots of positives!

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/How-Many-Posters-are-SVR-or-UND/show/98759

We have all been right where you are now, and we all understand your fear. you will get tons of support here, and answers to any questions you have. It has been great for me...