Hepatitis C Community
Petechiae..do you have any info on these pinsize red dots?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have these pinsize red dots on my stomach and a few on my chest. They look like someone took a blood colored thin sharpie and dotted me. I have had them for a year or so. Do they eventually disappear? Anybody else have them or info on them?

I was recently diagnosed and besides seeing my family doc and only having liver function and HVC test, I have had no other tests for this disease. I go to Cleveland Clinic August 2. So any help with these or other symptoms would be great.
Petechiae come from the little blood vessels leaking a bit of blood. They last a few weeks, turn kind of brownish and fade away. In some cases it is from a problem with clotting factors in late stage disease. Usually it has a more benign cause. If you look carefully on a hot day after you've been outside in the heat, you will see them on your feet.
Maybe this is not what they are. These have been here for a year now. Same ones, same place. They are one of the last symptoms to surface. if they aren't petechia, what else could they be?
I am amazed at what I learn on this site. I HAVE RED DOTS and never ask my MD but I have 4 on my right arm and on my feet a few, I cant beleive somebody has red dots like me. I am having a hard time with my 4th shot tommorrow so any knowledge I get I appreciate! I learn so much from this site and I need help I am so tired, and this tx goes right to my bad ankle and leg, and I would rather have a baby than to go through this tx, I get discouraged ,but still think positive, this is so hard and tomorrow is shot day that I am dreading. To hear the confidence of all helps me. But My red dots dont hurt there just there like me, GOD BLESS Aubbie
Here is what I found:

Petechiae result from tiny areas of superficial bleeding into the skin. They appear as round, pinpoint-sized dots that are not raised. The color varies from red to blue or purple as they age and gradually disappear. Petechiae commonly appear on the lower legs, but may be distributed all over the body.

There are many possible causes of petechiae. Common causes include:
injury or trauma
allergic reactions to medications
autoimmune disorders, which are conditions in which the person's body creates antibodies to its own tissues for unknown reasons
liver disorders, such as cirrhosis
infections, such as mononucleosis and endocarditis
bone marrow disorders, such as leukemia
thrombocytopenia, a deficiency of platelets
nutritional deficiencies, such as a deficiency in vitamins C, K, or B12, or folic acid
medications, such as blood thinners
recent blood transfusions
medical treatment, such as radiation therapy and chemotherapy for cancer
birth, due to the pressure changes caused by vaginal delivery
aging skin
sepsis, or blood infection
violent vomiting or coughing
I had the same thing and freaked out so I went to a dermatologist and he did a biopsy. It was nothing but a reaction to the Ribavirin.  It looked like a rash of red tiny dots that almost looked like a speck of blood under the skin.  Those were mostly on my legs.  It went well with the sploches that appeared all over my chest, stomach and back.  Rashes are extremely common so that might be all it is.

-cbee
I also have these red dots some raised not a rash I have had them for a year or more but I am getting more I have them about a half inch apart from each other all over my chest and their filling up the empty spaces in addition I have a liver disease. Headaches, and my eyes swell up, my hart does a skipping thing and I am real sort of breath is this auto immune or a bad liver. My doc wont take a another liver biopsy my last was in 2002 she said im to young to have a hart problem im 38 my doc did a lung function test and it was half of what a healthy persons is I get dizzy and feel faint a lot I am not taking any medication for my liver I have a appointment next week and I want her to run tests for a autoimmune disorder does anyone out there know what side of the fence am I on ,should I be worried
I too have litle red dots on my stomach, breasts arms. They are very small, and quite far aapart ( I have perhaps three on my entire stomach) look almost like I caught myself in a zipper. They don't hurt, but am not on any medication that might cause, do not drink, so not liver problem, could be age (63. Need a few answers.
I noticed little "strawberry marks" on my midriff 6-7 years ago and asked my husband "Have I always had these?"  Last fall I was diagnosed with first HCV and then cirrhosis.  I added some more really tiny ones during TX.  I wish I had known that they occurred with liver damage.  I might have checked it all out sooner and not gotten all the way to cirrhosis.   Nah, guess I probably wouldn't have checked it out anyway.

Don't hurt, just there, don't go away as far as I've read up.  Anybody know if it's possible for a dermatologist to take them off?
The red dots are likely Cherry Angiomas. I believe they are NOT harmful. I have them, especially after interferon treatment, as well.
If it's any help, I too have them and did ask my Hepatologist. He say's they are an indication of cirrhosis. I and stage 3-4 (cirrhosis).
I'm only on my 6th week of treatment but have been told I'm a rapid responder. So take heart! Little red spots aren't so bad considering all the other things that could have gone wrong.
6 mos. Post TX, I do believe that the tiniest ones that I took on during TX (had very low platelets then) have gone.  Can hardly find any.  Now that's hope.
I have the red dot issues also. I have been using anti-fungal cream to treat mine. They where very itchy at first once they formed on both wrists and some fingers. They are also on both tops of my feet.

It's been one week, they are going away, but very slowly. No more itching, but the anti-fungal cream works and is very cheap to buy at any drug store or department store with a pharmacy.
I've never heard the term petechiae, but small red dots and definitely raised red ones sound like vasculitis, which is what I have.  I also have Hep C.  The vasculitis comes from Cryoglobulenemia which you can get from having a chronic illness such as Hep C.  Apparently many Hep C patients have cryoglobulins in their blood, but rarely it can turn into a real problem.  Dots and raised rashes are most common on the legs, but they can be on the trunk, arms, anywhere.  They are a result of blood leaking out of the capillaries. When they're bad you get raised, very itchy rashes, generally have some swelling in your legs (I've had it so bad that I can't even see my ankles), joint pain, etc.  Vasculitis can be diagnosed by having a biopsy of one of the small bumps, and Cryoglobulenemia can be diagnosed through blood tests.   The rash fades, sometimes leaving brown spots, and then new ones erupt.  They can be a few dots or they can be major rashes.  When it's mild, there's nothing much to do about it, other than try the Hep C interferon/ribavirin treatments.  The cure is to get rid of the Hep C, but of course  many of this aren't lucky enough to accomplish this.    
i have the same thing on my feet. i've had it for 3 years now and it looks like a bunch of pin dots on my ankles and feet. it's spread upwards onto my thighs and is also starting to get on my arms. i have no idea what it is whatsoever.
although this is an old thread, the problem isn't. i too have these pesky little dots on my lower legs. i was recently diagnosed with Cryoglobulenemia. my platelets are at 87k, and i am at stage3 probably stage 4; although i can't get a straight answer from my less than stellar medical team.  ( i had a bx, catscan, a bizillion blood tests, ultrasound and more).....sometimes i get larger red blotchy patches that itch like crazy. i use benadryl lotion and it helps. my Hepa said treat the HCV and the cryo will improve.

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura is also a possibility...check the spelling on that one.

it's all related to low platelets and of course our old friend HCV. i hope this helps someone. it definitely is a red warning flag...sorry for the pun.
I think people here are talking about different conditions.  I've had small pen-sized bright red dots on my chest, stomach, and arms.  Some have been there for years (5 to 10+).  As I get older, I seem to be getting more.  These are very tiny, bright red, not raised.  I think they may be Petechiae that I've ready about, except I haven't had any trama, I don't take any medicine, and I don't know of any medical conditions that I would have.  I've never really asked a doctor about these, but I may mention it at my next physical.
I have the same thing, went to a dermatologist and they tried lasering them, had 10 done felt like someone was using a cigarette on my skin so would not advise and they came right back. I have them on my the top  of my arms none if you flip them over , the top of my chest. The heat brings them out (shower, sun). The derma said they were  Petechiae and they have never seen a case this bad. Guesss I am just getting more with age. I do not think there is anything to get rid of them.
This morning, for the first time, I noticed pinpoint red dots on my chest.  They are several inches apart.  I read in a medical forum that one cause (and there are many possible causes) could be from crying.  Well, unfortunately, I did have a heavy bout (can one say that?) with crying last night.  It was pretty intense, so I am thinking that this may be the cause.  Keeping my fingers crossed that they will go away soon.
these pinsize red dots on my daughters  leg few on my hand  They look like someone took a blood colored thin sharpie and dotted me. not  eatchy .  and  she  has  a  pain  on  her  leg  . can  you please advice  us  what  to  do  she  is  12 years  old  very worred .please  help   thanks sanjay
WOULDN'T IT BE NICE IF A DOCTOR WOULD REPLY TO ALL YOUR POSTS, SO THAT YOU COULD GET SOME ANSWERS?
SEEMS TO ME THE MEDICAL PROFESSION IS CONTENT TO LET US ALL ARGUE ABOUT HOW TO CURE OURSELVES, AND NOT COME UP WITH ANYTHING REALLY PROMISING.
I HAVE PETECHIAE ON MY CHEST (ONLY A FEW), NOTICED THEM A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO, 65, DONT DRINK, SMOKE A PACK A DAY, GET EXERCISE WALKING, WORK FULL TIME, DONT TAKE ANY DRUGS OR MEDICATION, GENERALLY HEALTHY.
SO WHAT CAUSES THESE CAPILLARY WALLS TO RUPTURE? AN ALLERGY TO A FOOD SUBSTANCE THAT THE IMMUNE SYSTEM CONSIDERS TOXIC?

ALLERGEN / ANTIGEN PLUS IMMUNE RESPONSE RESULTS IN BUILD UP OF MOLECULES IN A COMPLEX CONTAINING ANTIBODIES, AND ATTRACTS B AND T CELLS INTO THE AREA, RESULTING IN A CASCADE-TYPE IMMUNE RESPONSE THAT CAN DAMAGE THE BLOOD VESSEL / CAPILLARY WALL AND CAUSE IT TO LEAK RED BLOOD CELLS INTO THE SKIN (PETECHIAE).
THE ONLY WAY I CAN SEE TO GET RID OF THE PESKY DOTS IS TO IDENTIFY THE SPECIFIC ALLERGEN THAT IS CAUSING THEM, THEN EITHER STOP EATING THAT FOOD, OR HAVE THE ANTIGEN DESENSITISED BY A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL.
PETECHIAE COULD BE CAUSED BY ANY NUMBER OF ANTIGENS PASSING THROUGH THE BLOODSTREAM AND FORMING COMPLEXES AT CERTAIN POINTS IN THE CAPILLARY WALLS (NOT UNLIKE THE VERY FAMILIAR ATHEROSCLEROTIC PLAQUES WE ARE ALWAYS HEARING ABOUT THESE DAYS). BUT IN THIS CASE IT SHOULD BE MUCH EASIER TO GET RID OF THE PROBLEM. JUST FIND THE ALLERGEN AND REMOVE IT FROM YOUR SYSTEM, SO THE BODY CAN REPAIR ITSELF, CLEAR OUT THE MESS, REMOVE THE RED DOTS.