Hepatitis C Community
Pink Palms

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pink Palms

I just went to my first visit with my specialist.  They took my blood and told me in about 10 days they would contact me.  Only one thing that concerned him was my pink palms.  Does anyone know anything about what this means?   I was startled and should have asked. Just caught me off guard
Thanks everyone.  I have never been mucha drinker (could not stand the spinning rooms).  It is probably my metabolism as Kalio states.  Being 55 mine is as slow as a turtle.
Hi, my palms are red and spotty. I have been ask if my palms were burned. When I heard it was a sign of cirrhosis it made sense. Cause I do have cirrhosis. But last summer I noticed my Aunt had it too, and I have always had it as far back as I can remember. So I think it is in the genes also. So it doesn't mean cirrhosis for sure.I wouldn't worry about it! Take CARE
i wonder what your stage and grade of liver damage that you have, sense the red palms (palmar erythema) can relate to cirhosis/liver damage?
Another question.  Can you beat HepC if you have Cirosis of the liver?
I have no idea yet as I just found out about a month ago and went to my specialist the first time today.  Maybe that is why he made a comment when I said I do pottery at times he said that is probably why they are red.  Not sure though.  Has me worried but I guess the blood tests will tell.
My hands started showing the blotchyness on my palms after starting the tx, could this be a sign of anemia?
Thanks for posting that info on palmar.  I had just come along that info last week.  Kinda looking for proof that the sky was going to fall on my head - pity party stuff.  I can eliminate any alcohol induced reason - never been much of a drinker.  But now that you mention it and I've given it some thought 'red palms' seem to me to be related to those attractive spider nevi on my chest and back.  With this stuff and all the subtle and not-so-subtle junk associated with HCV - who knows?
I cant stop looking at my palms now.
You know I have the red/purple pin blotches, if Im cold they get real bright. People have noticed them, I have been asked if I was bit by a tic, and then there are those that ask if I have lupus.They dont hurt, just dont real real nice.
lilmoma
Are you in treatment and how are you doing?
Quit looking at your palms and I
Just wanted to say, gotta friend (I know, me and my friends) who has those palms, off and on...and that spider nev whatever...and he biopsied out as a 1 with good labs, just seems that this disease is all over the place, mixed with other stuff, you name it...
ahh, the old palmar eythmea, had it for years, not just on tx.  i have noticed ppl in the street with it too, teenagers and everyone (quick, look around) and so have not diagnosed everyone with liver damage!  Maybe it is an estrogen thing as well, I am gonna go check now to see whether it gets worse at a certain time. LOL
Thanks tulsa fer the explanation there , LOL , I think we're all sittin round now starin at our paws .
How about the hair on my palms . Got any idea where that could have come from? And , my vision is blurry?(tounge in cheek)LOL

thats a deal bill.  It's not my breastbone it's 3 inches south of there and it.. ah.. never mind...  i should just wait to see doc...

52tele, omg.  I totally forgot about that!  Now I have two things to constantly check my palms for!  Grandma warned me about the later!

I was hoping that someone could pick up on the reference.
I knew if someone didn't understand I would just look like an idiot. I'm sure people are scratching their heads.
I never had pink palms before but for the past couple of years they have been quite pink.  I have never been a big drinker so I don't think it is the liver.

I have tried to research this before.  Would be nice to find out

Ifnick
I forgot to say that I have mentioned it to a doctor and she did not know??????  I knew a lady some years ago who had very pink palms and I thought it was odd........Now I have them.  Really frustrated and keen to know!!!!!!!
Hi, I don't think you will get a reply, this thread is from 2006.

Marcia
It got me lookin at my palms tho!  :-)

Hope you have a good day!!

Izzy
I too have pink palms.  I asked several doctors what was going on and nobody knew except my liver doctor.  She said it is a common indication of liver disease.  I am at stage 2.
k
On my first dr. appt. one of the first things he did was look at my hands.  He called it liver palms.  I do have cirrhosis.  Not sure how much damage you have before it shows up.  
Red palms are known as palmar erythma (red palms) and is caused by retaining fluids that make your skin stretch ....... sometimes tiny capillaries burst and someimes the skin is stretched so that it becomes thinner and more visual.
I have deep red palms with blotchy pin-like looking skin, no rash, no pain or hotness, just turns real red sometimes, off and on; people have commented and thinking that I have been burned badly on my palms.. not sure what it is. .. would like to know. I was exposed to Hep C years back but when I went to the Doctor they tested me and it came back negative... they said I didnt have Hep C. but I am hearing this redness of the palms is often related to liver disease of some sort. i am not a drinker so cant relate it to that either. if anyne has anymore info. would like to hear it.
now i have red palms - thanks a lot.
This thread is an oldy but a goody.   My hands started getting very pink a couple of years ago;  they worsened hugely during tx, and have calmed down somewhat since tx (and sometimes almost look 'normal').    

My nurse said it was common with liver disease (and then showed me hers which were red also.... she did a little cough/giggle and changed the subject).
My palms are pink as well. After I read that this could be from liver disease, I convinced myself I had cirrhosis, Which I don't.

Anyway I spent a couple of weeks obsessing about to the point where I was looking at peoples palms in the grocery store.

Low and behold I discovered about 1/4 of the population has pink palms. :)

When I went to my hepotologist as asked him about it. I point blank asked him is I had palmer erythema. He looked at my palms and laughed and said "no".

Moral of the story is alot of things can cause pink/reb palms. Including just being born that way.
My Mom never drank a drop in her life. She didnt have liver disease or any problem with anything like that but she did have red palms and the doctors told her it was galt (spelling??). I think that is somehow attached to your thyroid which can be affected by tx.

But I also found this just now...

http://www.diagnose-me.com/questionnaire/Q2757.html

Red palms can occur in any chronic liver disease and are not specifically caused by the hepatitis virus. The cause for the redness is unknown, but it is speculated that it may involve upset hormone metabolism or microcirculatory changes.

Red palms (palmar erythema - liver palms) are often found in patients with alcohol-induced cirrhosis and can be seen in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis.

Also on this site...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/235466

Red palms are indeed a sign of liver cirrhosis, amongst many other symptoms like fluid in the belly, prominent veins, yellowing of the eyes, easy bruising etc.  

Hope this helps!
"Moral of the story is alot of things can cause pink/reb palms."

True enough, but I blame mine on the cirrhosis. It keeps me from having to go into the "messy" details.