Platelet count decrease
I'm on week 25 from 48 1b and got to know my last blood test results - platelet count is decreased comparing with previous tests 119x10 3. Normal level is higher 150. Is it something wrong in treatment process or it is not so important thing ? Thanks for advice.
Hi- Other people on this forum know a lot more than me, but I can tell you a bit about this. I've seen that many people have platelet count drop during treatment- it is pretty normal. If your platelets are still up at 103, that's good. If they get really low, I believe there may be a medication they can give you- I'm noty sure. But just make sure you keep an eye on the platelets although your doc probably will also- it's good to know what your own bloodwork means. Another thing I've heard a lot about is RBC (red blood cells) dropping on tx (treatment). That is another thing to watch for. But like I said, your platelet count looks good to me right now. I'm sure you'll get more knowledgable responses but I just wanted to tell you what I could. Hang in there! -Dee
you have to watch out for abnormally low levels of

Hemoglobin
platelets
WBCs
Neutrophils.

most people get a drop in only one or two of these.

take care, and best of luck! :)
My platelets dropped to 34 and my doc wanted to take me off tx. I switched docs, started taking vitamin K, and after a few weeks, the platelets came up to 60. You are far from in a problematic situation. Good luck.
Vitamin K is no possibility to increase the platelets. It improves coagulation in several situations, but this is something completely different. Fortunately the bonemarrow supression by IFN often happens during the first weeks of therapy and stabilises after some time. I have been down to 20.000 in week 4.
The only options today to increase the platelets are elthrombopag (not available outside of studies so far) or decreasing IFN doses. The third alternative is to go on with tx nevertheless, and to trust in god.

I hope thats true, hubbys are 34,000 as of his 4 week test. Just had 6 week test and waiting for results.
when i was on tx and platelets dropped to 26000 i couldnt even make it across the room ,i think when you get down to low 20's you are in critical condition
I do not understand why you couldn't make it through the room. You do not notice the low platelets. It can be lifethreatening because it can cause sever bleeding,   but it does ot cause weekness or short breath or something similar. Perhaps you had low erys in addition?
yes had low platelets and low red and white cells
There is a drug, Neumega, that helps with platelets.  But, it is not as effective as they would like and it has a side effect of a drastic drop in hgb.  I took it twice and do regret it.  There is a threshold where a lot of GI's are not comfortable allowing you to go below but a hematologist is more likely to allow you to drop more without intervention.

Neumega would be an absolutely last resort.  In my case, the GI would have pulled me from tx.

miss