Hepatitis C Community
Platelets level off during triple therapy?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I am currently in 6th week of treatment (Incivek) and wondered if at some point the platelet levels and hgb start to stabilize? My platelets are currently at 33,000, hgb 10.8. If they get too low what did your doc do to let you continue treatment?

Some background info - 32 yrs. old, contracted HCV through blood transfusion as infant in 1979, diagnosed in 1998, treated 1999 - NR, treated again 2007 - NR, Genotype 1a, biopsy confirmed compensated cirrhosis 2007, platelets were at 64,000 when I began treatment. My 4 week viral load was negative. I just want to be able to stay on therapy for full 48 weeks since this time it appears to be working. Thanks!
My platlets got as low as 29,000, i was lucky that they bounce back up on their own and i ended tx around 50,000. In my case if they had got much lower doctor was going to reduce the interferon shots............ Best to you.
Your blood level responses are typical for cirrhosis patients undergoing treatment.

When the doctor will either lower interferon or stop treatment is different for each doctor. It is their determination at to what is safe. I went down to about 20,000 but didn't respond so I stopped anyway. Each person is different as to when the platelet count will stop dropping. You can be given platelets (a platelet transfusion) but that is only done if it is thought that the platelets won't drop any lower or you have active bleeding. Plus this would only be done by a hepatologist at a transplant center.
Since you have a good chance of SVR if you can continue treatment I hope you are being treated by a hepatologist at a transplant center, They have the most tools to get you through treatment. Clearing HCV would be huge as far as your future health would be concerned. It could either slow or stop you from decompensating and then needing a transplant.

Good luck to you!
Hector
My platelets were at 25 week 4 of treatment. Doctor doesn't seem to be concerned but now hector has me thinking why didn't I know to use a doctor at a transplant center. I had a second opinion from a doctor at a transplant center before starting treatment and that was one of the questions I asked. It there was anything that can be done to bring platelets up and he said no. He is considered to be one of the best.

My hepatologist who is not a transplant specialist gave me a different answer, he said there were things that could be done. I started at 60 but wasn't thinking they would drop so low on treatment, I was more concerned about not being able to treat if I waited to long and my platelets dropped further. My doctor did say he could always remove the spleen. I hope he was joking, he's not touching my spleen....LOL

He does think I'll stabilize and that is what I'm hoping for.

Good luck to you this seems to be a common problem when we have cirrhosis
Thank you for your responses. It is good to know that others have been in similar situations and were still able to finish. Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best.

HectorSF I am being treated by a hepatologist at a transplant center, and I totally agree with you that they are the most equipped and knowlegeable to get you through treatment.