Hepatitis C Community
Porphyria Cutanea Tarda
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Porphyria Cutanea Tarda

Has anyone been diagnosed with Porphyria Cutanea Tarda?  I developed this disease several months ago which led up to my being tested for Hep C and was found to have the antibodies.  Haven't gotten the results back on geno or viral load yet and had liver biopsy done yesterday.  Doc says because I have the Porphyria more than likely have active hep.  Porphyria causes fragile skin especially on the backs of hands and blisters with exposure to the sun.  Liver damage usually occurs so a little anxious about biopsy results.  Treatment for porphyria is phlebotomy sessions or low doses of chloroquine.  If i need to treat for hep wondering if I should treat for porphyria first?  Confusing right now and wondering if anyone has experienced the same problems.
Thanks,
Trinity
Related Discussions
-4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My sister has the same thing, she was diagnosed 10 years ago, she has blisters on her hands which she refers to as "break outs".  she seems to get them when she injures her hand or is out in the sun.  She is in a study now that is really working wonders for her. When she first got this they pulled her blood I think once a week to get her iron down. She also was getting treated for Hep C with peg/riv but she had to stop because her white blood count got too low, they decided to treat the porphyyria first then the hep c.  Hope that helps you.  
Blank
I know someone who has this and there is an over the counter lotion you can apply which really helps, i will send you a message with the name of it as soon as i here back from him. Poryphuria is generally brought on from hep c if you have a genetic predisposition for the disease. (german descent). I know he has occassional phlebotomy and has his iron levels checked frequently. Good Luck
Blank
Sorry ment to address post to you.....Leah
Blank
Thanks for the info.  We are of german descent.  They told  her it was heratitary and that people with hep c get it.  I would love to know the name of the lotion so I can tell her.  She has a lot of scars from so many break outs.  She also refuses to quti drinking a bottle of wine everyday,  I don't think that is helping anything.
Blank
Alchol brings on the blisters, my friend had to quite drinking and the skin problems improved greatly. I will send you a message too.   Leah
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank