Hepatitis C Community
Posative NAT HCV; Negative Anti-HCV

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Posative NAT HCV; Negative Anti-HCV

I dontated blood a few years back and all was good. I recently donated again in June 2012 and all was still good. I then again donated in November. I recieved a letter saying I was Reactive for HCV on the NAT test but negative on the anti-HCV. Does anyone know if the NAT can be wrong. I haven't done anything that would expose me to Hepatitas C.  I already went to doctor for retest, but I am freaking out waiting on results. Thanks for any help.
I know your question is related to accuracy of one result compared to another  and whether you are reactive or not and I will let someone else address that. This guy explains the circumstances one would be able to re-test after being reactive on one test but not on others and whether you would ever be able to donate blood again.

The link he provides in the article (FDA Guidance for Industry & NAT for HIV & HCV) is very cumbersome. It is this:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/Blood/UCM210270.pdf

He summarizes it and provides various testing result possibilities and their consequences:

4. Anti-HCV EIA nonreactive, HCV NAT reactive = These donors are "indefinitely deferred", but are eligible for re-entry consideration after SIX MONTHS from the donation date.

In other words I follow you want to have another test for HCV antibody to ease your mind so you know for certain. The article outlines "re-entry testing," or the testing and results a donor would need to ever be considered to be eligible to donate blood again.

http://bbguy.blogspot.com/2011/01/hepatitis-c-testing.html