Positive HBsAb &HBcAb, Negative Anti-C (more tests)
I went for routine blood work and my results came back as HBsAb positive and HBcAb positive. I know these are the core and surface antigen antibodies. The other tests:

HBsAg was Neg.
anti-HAV was Neg.
anti-HCV was Neg.

I have read up for days now about the two positive tests, but my big question is why are they saying I could have Hep C and now I am going in for about 9 more tests and I am getting really scared and my stomach is in knots and I have cried a lot.

Over a yr and half ago I was seeing a man who has had chronic HCV and was quite ill all the time and back when he got it, interferon didn't work for him. I am so afraid now that I may have it with one of the bad Genotypes that he had.

I am HIV negative and have been tested about 3 times for safety and routine. They are testing for the RNA, the Genotype, Free T4, ultrasound of liver, a Hepatitis function panel, TSH, T3, Prothrombin Time and another HIV test (probably because I didn't bring them my results, just the results for the "Chronic Hepatitis Screen".

So why are they testing me for a Genotype if the RNA hasn't been tested and why are they saying HEP C if I was the HEP B antobodies that showed up? Maybe because chronic Hep B is now considered HEP C?

The only explanation I can come up with is that those Antibodies positive tests I mentioned above can't tell if one still may have the virus.  But why did she tell me HEP C? I have asked everyone and they tell me that is not their department and they don't know. Even the doctor didn't give me a clear answer but sure ordered enough tests?

Can someone please help me I have been on this computer so long and I have to know now before I go crazy.

Thanks,
Candy

It seems to me you have hep b, NOT hep C.  Your surface abd core antigen,

markers for hep b, are pos.  Your hep c antibody is neg.  Hep B and Hep C are two

entirely different viruses.  One cannot 'turn into' the other.  There are several

good therapies for hep b.  Please see a hepatologist.  That is VERY important for you

right now.

hep B is a classic STD and Hep C is only rarely transmitted through sex.

i wonder if your friend had Hep B instead of hep C?  Or maybe both?
no - her antibodies are positive - positive antibody tests do not mean active hep B infection - positive antigen tests do - theres no such critter as core and surface antigen antibodies - theres core and surface antibodies and theres core and surface antigens - so you dont have active hep b infection --- you may or may not have hep c - here again the antibody test is not used to confirm active infection - get a hep c viral load test ( pcr )