Hepatitis C Community
Positive HBsAb &HBcAb, Negative Anti-C (more tests)

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I went for routine blood work and my results came back as HBsAb positive and HBcAb positive. I know these are the core and surface antigen antibodies. The other tests:

HBsAg was Neg.
anti-HAV was Neg.
anti-HCV was Neg.

I have read up for days now about the two positive tests, but my big question is why are they saying I could have Hep C and now I am going in for about 9 more tests and I am getting really scared and my stomach is in knots and I have cried a lot.

Over a yr and half ago I was seeing a man who has had chronic HCV and was quite ill all the time and back when he got it, interferon didn't work for him. I am so afraid now that I may have it with one of the bad Genotypes that he had.

I am HIV negative and have been tested about 3 times for safety and routine. They are testing for the RNA, the Genotype, Free T4, ultrasound of liver, a Hepatitis function panel, TSH, T3, Prothrombin Time and another HIV test (probably because I didn't bring them my results, just the results for the "Chronic Hepatitis Screen".

So why are they testing me for a Genotype if the RNA hasn't been tested and why are they saying HEP C if I was the HEP B antobodies that showed up? Maybe because chronic Hep B is now considered HEP C?

The only explanation I can come up with is that those Antibodies positive tests I mentioned above can't tell if one still may have the virus.  But why did she tell me HEP C? I have asked everyone and they tell me that is not their department and they don't know. Even the doctor didn't give me a clear answer but sure ordered enough tests?

Can someone please help me I have been on this computer so long and I have to know now before I go crazy.

Thanks,
Candy

It seems to me you have hep b, NOT hep C.  Your surface abd core antigen,

markers for hep b, are pos.  Your hep c antibody is neg.  Hep B and Hep C are two

entirely different viruses.  One cannot 'turn into' the other.  There are several

good therapies for hep b.  Please see a hepatologist.  That is VERY important for you

right now.

hep B is a classic STD and Hep C is only rarely transmitted through sex.

i wonder if your friend had Hep B instead of hep C?  Or maybe both?
no - her antibodies are positive - positive antibody tests do not mean active hep B infection - positive antigen tests do - theres no such critter as core and surface antigen antibodies - theres core and surface antibodies and theres core and surface antigens - so you dont have active hep b infection --- you may or may not have hep c - here again the antibody test is not used to confirm active infection - get a hep c viral load test ( pcr )