Hepatitis C Community
Possibility for Hep C?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Possibility for Hep C?

Hi All,

Quick question. My girlfriend and I had had unprotected sex one time while she was on her period. When I pulled out there was obviously some blood in my ejaculation. Just wondering exactly what are my chances for contracting hep c such as what are the statistics I may have contracted the disease from this one encounter. I'm a 24 year old male, great health as is my gf. Just wondering if it'd be worth a check-up or what have you. Thanks.

-BigBoi223
By the way I should mention we've both been given blood tests for HIV which have come back negative and do not have STDs. We have been in a monogomous relationship for the last 9 months. I did have a slight abbrasion on the base of my shaft from rough intercourse with her the previous day (looked more like chaffing) but it had appeared to have started closing up. Just curious. Thanks all.

-BigBoi223
yes, you have it !
the chance of getting hcv from sex is very small,if there is no blood present.

but you said you had unprotected sex while your gf had her period.

so i would make a test for sure.
LOL I've been wanting to do that for years
I'll risk a MH spanking just to say....LOL!!!!!!

But to be serious, since HCV is not HIV, nor is it considered an STD....I'd suggest a full round of testing.  
Is your Gf pos for Hcv?
Or..quit having sex:)
If you can’t quit having sex altogether practice Extreme Safe Sex. This is when you use a sterile glove to prevent passing anything on to yourself.
Jakied,

Thanks for asking a serious question regarding my post. As far as I know, my girlfriend has not tested positive for hepatitis. However, I do not believe she's ever had a blood test for this particular disease.

Bottom line, she's not a drug user (nor am I), has not had any blood transfusions or anything like that. I was just posting this question to secure some information about having a disease like hep c passed on to me per this one experience and also what I should be on the lookout for (e.g., what are the symptoms, when's the earliest I can get tested, will I most likely get symptoms if I have this disease, how prevalent is this disease, are you likely to have it from a one time instant like I did, etc.)

Also, to jusjames, Isobella and R Glass. I'm pretty sure people post questions on this forum to secure information from a particular community of people who have questions related to medical topics. My suggestion would be if you have nothing of value to add, are prone to making sarcastic comments and find enjoyment in other people's struggles, get off the forum and don't bother putting in your two sense. Not funny to joke around about things that bother other people.

Thanks in advance Jakied. Appreciate your insights.

-BigBoi223
Let me get this straight. You are 24 years old. This means you have been taught to practice safe sex your entire life. You choose not to follow what you have been taught and want to rebuke us for not having pity on you. To bad.
The people of this forum have a lot more to worry about than just "things"  and the humor is so very necessary to relieve the stress and anxiety that lives in this forum.  

My recommendation to you is to take a good dose of humor, daily.

Sometimes we are just kidding, the people you made mention of
are long standing people here who have supported and have helped many
and have been down this HCV road of h*ll .

To put your mind at ease, since you're only 24, just go get tested
for STD's as well as an HCV panel.
If you knew how many times this question was asked as a joke (making fun of people with hep) you would realize that number one people never really know if it's serious or not (and mostly it's not) and number two the chances of 'catching' HCV this way are so minute that people are wondering why you'd even wonder if you got it.

I had sex many times before I was diagnosed with this disease (which unfortunately I did catch from drug use) and it never EVER occured to me that I could get it that way really...it's just not a common worry for folks to have.

Nobody is being mean spirited they just like to joke around when it's a question that has been asked 1,000x in the past month already.  Don't take it personally.

If neither of you have hep then how could either of you catch it from one another?
i think you have your answer now ! i hope this helps you .