Hepatitis C Community
Post Hep C, Hashimoto's Thryoidism, Thrush

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Curious, If any of you have experienced this- I'm post Hep C treatment approx 3 mo but during the course of my treatment...I developed "Hashimoto's thyroidism" and a persistent case of "Thrush".  I'm working my way back to a stabilized TSH in the thyroid and thrush is getting under control...I finally feel like I might be "turning things around".  One of the biggest symptoms of the above is "extreme hair loss".  I always feel "shallow" in mentioning this...considering things could be so much worse...but I'm befuddled...is the hair loss (as it continues at a slower pace but persists), a cause of Hep C txt...lingering...or because of the thyroid malfunction?  I guess I'll never know until the thyroid is completely stabilzed and the hair loss completely stops. It is important to note that although my hair continues to fall out...it still is still growing at the same time.  Kind of like the ("tortoise and the hare")  Seriously...have lost nearly 95% of my hair and am almost down to the scalp.  Has anyone experienced this?  Thanks for any feedback.  Monica  
P9o
I'm post tx of just over a month. My thrush is gone, hypothyroid, and getting more bld wk Dec. 22. My hairloss is somewhere between 30-40%. It slowed down my last month of tx, but did not completely stop falling out. At the same time, I have been experiencing new growth. Like you, I don't know if it's residual effects of tx or the hypothyroidism. If it's the tx it should eventually stop. If it's the hypothyroid, it will stop too, as soon as either my thyroid corrects itself or I get on medication. I know it's much more worrisome for you as you've lost a lot of hair. I hope it comes back soon.
Sunshine585- Thanks for your response...thrush is now stable...finally..and hypothyroid seems to be backing off.  I too, have lots of new growth on the scalp...seen by parting the hair that's left from my scalp :).  I'm encouraged by a lots of supplementals provided over the counter at pharmacies. What has worked best...thus far..is a combo of biotine, evening primrose oil, silenium, zinc, and lots of B-12.