Hepatitis C Community
Post Liver Transplant and Abdominal Pain.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I am having stomach pain and irritation which I believe is caused by the immune suppressants, it almost feels like sore stomach muscles from doing situps on the outside muscles. But I dont exersize, also the inside feels like a stomach ache or gas. Ive been to the hospital but they are not sure. Could it be Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma? I was checked for ulsers when the irritation first started about 1 year ago the test was negative, as well as other test lower GI, echo scan etc. It has become more irritating now though. Have any post liver transplant patients experience this? What could be the problem?
My stomach muscles were horribly weak for three or four years after transplant in 2001.  My case might be different, as I had two ostomy surgeries and a laparotomy in addition to the transplant, but it was four or five years before I could get out of bed without really straining my abdominal muscles.

I think gas is very common post-transplant, perhaps due to the common practice of removing the gall bladder during the transplant.  You might try smaller meals, as lack of a gall bladder can make digesting large meals a real problem.  Everytime I get an ultrasound for liver biopsy or some other reason, there are notations about not being able to see certain organs, etc. because of excess gas distorting some organs from viewing others.

You are still fairly recently out of surgery; your abdominal muscles are bound to get stronger whether you work them or not.  I'm guessing it will take at least a few years to get them working decently.

Good luck to you!
I am 4 1/2 years out of surgey this pain has slowly been increasing it use to come and go but now it is coming and staying around, and  to say the least very uncomfortable. Possible Gas Im just not sure. How are you doing, are the medications causing any problems for you. Thanx for your response.
I know it has been over three years since you posted you original message about abdominal pain post transplant but I wanted to know if there has been any resolution to your pain problem? I am only one year post transplant and I also have heavy abdominal pain. I have continued to follow up at my doctors appointments and keep trying to see if there is anything that might help. I believe that the problem is due to adhesions, scar tissue and muscle weakness and that the only answer is to continue forcing myself to "push the envelope" by exercise and stretching. I do take pain medication in order to be able to do this but will drop the medication when I am able. This may be something you could ask you doctors about. I have made much progress by doing this and feel deeply that the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Aloha.
P.S. You also asked about the possibility that the anti-rejection medications might be causing some of this. I had a problem with Myfortic (Cellcept) before a reduction in dose.
I suffer almost daily from severe gut pain since my transplant 3 1/2 years ago.  I go to a pain clinic by am not able to get sufficient pain relief.  Is there any help out there.  Meds perscribed or natural?  I need my life back, free from constant pair.