Hepatitis C Community
Post Treatment Weight Gain

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Post Treatment Weight Gain

If anyone told me during treatment that I'd have a problem losing weight a year later, I'd think they were crazy.

During treatment I lost over 30 lbs, a lot of it lean muscle mass, and most of it within the first three months of treating. Within three months of ending treatment, all the weight came back but not surprisngly a greater proportion came back as fat as opposed to muscle.

The remedy -- weight work to build muscle mass, diet sensibly with enough protein and calories to retain muscle mass and aerobic exercise to lose the fat. In the past, this has always worked and quite easily. But for some reason the body doesn't want to cooperate the same way after treatment. No doubt my metabolism has changed and not for the better.

CONT...
And it's not just vanity, more midriff fat means greater chance of heart attack and stroke, especially in my family. That, combined a worsening metabolic syndrome from treatment is not great news.

Wondering if anyone else not only noticed post treatment weigh gain, but more difficulty losing the weight than before they treated. And if so, what worked for them if anything.

My new plan is more of the above, but instead of 30-60minutes a day of interval aerobic work, I plan to do 60-120 minutes a day of aerobics with the majority of it in the lower heart rate fat burning zone. That and continue on with the weights and diet, but not cut calories so much as to start losing muscle mass. I figure something's got to give but so far it's giving real slow.

Then, of course, there's Sly Stallone's solution. LOL. Ever wonder how a guy in his 50's and 60's looks so cut up :) Ask the custom folks in Australia :)

-- Jim
i have the beginnings of  the metabolic syndrom (syndrome) (boderline high BP, glucose around 102-108,cholesterol all out of whack, and belly fat) and as you know i have not started tx yet.  i can not seem to get rid of the belly fat. i'm not really that overweight, about 20lbs. and i would say most of that is in my stomach.  my bmi is 25.2  by exercising & diet i have helped my BP & glucose but can not get rid of the belly !!! well maybe after i get rid of the HCV i will have to get liposuction, lol hope not i would rather lose it the regular way. keep me up to date with your progress of longer exercising, if it works i may have to up my time. i only do the tread mill and some light weights 30-60 mins per day.
Yup, sounds like me.....  Same scenero....Even South Beach isn't budging this stuborn weight much beyond phase 1....
(I think I miss my Riba & Interferon Diet)... NOT...LoL
but............................
mmm... but what if your too lazy to work out like that... Got an easier Remidy for folks like me??? I Hope, I Hope, I Hope,.....HeH, HeH

;)
I thought that problem was reserved for the women over 50.  Jeez...we can almost kill ourselves before we loose anything.  I had a friend finially loose some weight by eathing 15 almonds for breakfast,  A cut up apple for a snack, 1 cup steamed broccoli for Lunch and  1 thin slice of deli turkey as well.  For dinner whe would eat a small salad.
I believe in watching what I eat but my that is to extreme for me.  Good luck on finding something that works.   I know I will have it cut out for me when I am off treatment next week.  I then am going to start the weights and aerobic exercises.  I may even do some Pilates...not sure but I will try.  I have to watch my exercising.  Sometimes I go to extremes and about at 8 or 9 months I reach burn out.
Good luck  
Same problem with me.  I only lost 10 on tx but gave gained about 20 post tx.  I am trying, but maybe not hard enough. I do so like to sabbotage myself!  Your regiment sounds pretty serious.  I have been doing light areobic and machine work outs (30min 4 days a week) and walk maybe only 1-2 days a week.  I too lost losts of muscle mass on tx.

As I recall your plan was to be swimming over a mile a day within a month or tow of completion.  What happened with that?  I haven't been back to the pool post tx yet.
kathy
I had a person I know that has exercised and trained for years.  One of his daughters is being watched for a future soccer player in the Olympics.  Anyway he told me to  not exercise everyday.  You don't need to from what he said. .  I found if I  mix my exercise up...Ex  Mon   Elipitical 25 min,  upper body weights  for complete routine and back to Eliptical for 15 minutes.  Then Wed do the same but on the weights do the lower body.  I work on my abs they are really bad but hey I try.  Anyway if you give your body a break it keeps it not guessing what you are doing.  I guess in a sense you trick it. ANyway that seemed to work for me but it took about 2 or 3 months to start seeing the drop in sizes.  Good luck...I know it is hard the older one gets.
Tator, I'm cuttin' down on the carbs as well. Hopefully upping the ante will signal the body to get into gear.

Friole, I know I mentioned swimming but don't believe that was a major part of my post tx plan, although hard to remember much what I thought during tx. LOL. I have done some swmming but now sticking mostly to indoor aerobic machines and will move outdoors soon for some power walking. As to swimming again, read somewhere that it's not a great fat burner compared to the same energy expenditure say running. So my focus will not be on swimming to lose the fat.

Pdilly, has your regimen been working post treatment? Main point I was trying to make is that what worked before treatment doesn't seem to be working after treatment. Definite shift in metabolism. Hopefully, it's from the rapid weight loss and then gain after treatment and not something permanent from the interferon. My gut (no pun here) tells me that 120/day of lower intensity workouts will do the trick. It should also reduce appetitite somewhat as well.

Copy, Lipo might make you look thinner but it doesn't get to the deeper lying problamatic fat that raises triglicerides (triglycerides) and causes heart problems. I actually suggested to a cardiac researcher many moons ago that they do a study to see if liposuction could have a positive benefit on your lipid profile. Since then, at least one study has been done -- don't know if I should take credit or not. LOL. -- and the answer is "no". Too bad, cause that really would have been the easy way out.

-- Jim
I also have put on weight in the mid section, been 3 years since treatment, and the weight has been slowly piling on, but only the stomach area.
Ive warned everyone who is treating to do some form of exercise whilst on treatment, be it sit ups or walking because of the muscle loss.
Ive recently started taking Avanza (AD) and this has caused me to put on more weight.
Like you said, exercise and diet is very important, its just the fatigue and lack of motivation that holds me back at this time but I will have to push myself soon or I will definately regret it.
Thanks for posting on that subject, not the only one.

Linda
Thanks for dropping by. Previous to treating, did you also have a problem with weight piling on mostly in the stomach area or did it tend to come on either in other areas or more evenly? As you know, all weight gain is not equal, and adding pounds in the stomach area has the most health consequences.

To do it all over again, I'd probably have tried to really watched my diet and exercise program immediately following treatment. However, at the time, it was such a joy to be able to eat food again, that I doubt I could have summoned the discipline. Plus the last thing I was worried about then was gaining weight as I had been close to a skeleton for so long. I actually remember early-on after treatment noticing some fat in the stomach and smiling, as if the my treatment weight loss curse was lifted. Little did I know that a year later I wouldn't be smiling :)

-- Jim
ive lost about 20 pounds on treatment. i'm currently about 158 pounds at 5' 11''. this is about what i weighed when i got married a long time ago (i know because i have several very out of date suits from that era that fit me now, lol). about 2 years before tx i was up to 205. the low carb diet worked well for me and got me down to 178 or so. excercise helped build muscle mass, but i think the diet was the key to the weight loss. on the low carb i was also eating healthier (more salads, veggies, olive oil, nuts, etc). i also had the belly fat (even at 178), but always had excellent lipid profile. im eating mostly carbs now on tx (but i lost the belly fat), although the nausea and "taste changes" are much better over the past few weeks & i actually had a steak the other night! i can't wait to get my appetite back. i used to really enjoy food before tx.  when i'm done w/ tx, my plan is to "pig out" for a while & then go back onto the low carb diet and renew my gym membership.
Great, now I'm going to tub out after I stop treating - one more thing to worry about. But if I had to guess, I'd say your metabolism and "natural" weight will settle down and mostly return to normal over time (not unlike your skin problems). You're probably experiencing some type of post treatment weight loss rebound. I'm guessing your body will slowly start to realize it's not fighting for survival anymore and internally reset itself back to "normal mode". And if you're strict enough on your diet and exercise regimen, especially weightlifting, then I can't see any excess flab sticking around very long.

Still, what you say is a bit worrying. I've always been a tall thin type (6'2" 185lbs pre treatment). I was 6'2" 135lbs when I was 17, and ranged between that weight and 185lb my entire adult life. I could always eat and drink anything I wanted, even with zero exercise, and I never got fat. I really hope my effortlessly lithe days aren't behind me once I'm off these drugs.  I've always enjoyed the luxury of not having to sweat weight gain, sure would like to keep it that way.
in my case i think weight gain and age are correlated. i also used to have the "eat anything and not gain" profile, but my profile changed at about age 40 or so. but i think the "rebound" point regarding post treatment weight gain is well taken. i'm sure it takes quite some time for our systems to adjust after being stressed so much for so long with these tx drugs.  
in my case i think weight gain and age are correlated. i also used to have the eat anything and not gain profile, but my profile changed at about age 40 or so. but i think the rebound point regarding post treatment weight gain is well taken. i'm sure it takes quite some time for our systems to adjust after being stressed so much for so long with these tx drugs.  

I've turned the corner on the weight gain with the program outlined above. We'll see how it goes. That said, before treatment my weight and fitness could be maintained like you said with normal gym workouts. Now, it's 60-120 minutes of low cardio fat burning aerobics combined with weight training and strict diet. I'm hoping it will all kick my metabolism back to where it was but not overly hopeful reading some of the posts like yours. Have you looked into acupuncture or Chinese Herbs? I mention this because TCM is all about balancing the immune system and mine sure needs balancing!

-- Jim
Web,

I know it will be hard -- maybe impossible -- but try and keep the "pig out" stage to a bare minimum or just about every pound you lost could come back as fat around your abdomen in less than 90 days.

Mre,

It's been a year, but hopefully, hopefully, my body will realize it's no longer eating itself like during treatment. I'm probably a bit older than you (60) which probably doesn't help either. Still, I've always been able to get into fighting shape when motivated, until now. Starting to empathize with all those people who complain how hard it is to lose weight. Frankly, always thought they were either lazy or unmotivated, but now I realize it's not quite that simple.

-- Jim
Web,

Mre,

-- Jim
Web,

Mre,

-- Jim
test
test
Web,

Mre,

-- Jim
test
test
test
test
test
Web,

Mre,

-- Jim

in my case i think weight gain and age are correlated. i also used to have the "eat anything and not gain" profile, but my profile changed at about age 40 or so. i think mrE's rebound point regarding post treatment weight gain is well taken. i'm sure it takes quite some time for our systems to adjust after being stressed so much for so long with these tx drugs.
I've got the same problem and its getting really depressing.  My weight is now 20 pounds over my 'normal' weight, and most is belly fat, and flab around upper chest.  I can't seem to lose a pound, and I get discouraged much more quickly now than ever before treatment.  I have a very hard time getting motivated to exercise, and I have much lower tolerance for exercise.  I seem to crave food, of all kinds, at all times, and I really am having problems saying 'no'.  As I have stated recently, I am full scale into the metabolic syndrome, and for the first time in my life my BP is regularly elevated.  I feel sluggish, tired, and I have to really push to get started in the mornings.  My limbs and head often feel numb or have mild tingling, electrical sensations.
My balance and coordination are both really 'odd' now.

All this, and three and one half years SVR now, and still plagued with a variety of after effects.  The weight thing is getting scary, and I am not sure that I have it in me anymore to both diet seriously, and exercise regularly.  Before tx I went to the gym three to five times a week, for at least two hours per session....my body was tight, muscular, and I had stamina.  Now, I feel like more of a flabby, achey (achy), zombie!  If I run or treadmill for long my lungs burn, and I feel either dizzy or just fatigued.

To anyone that thinks this tx does not have significant after-effects for many of us....I could tell you a few things...and probably not too politely.

I think the interferon has altered my system, metabolism, cardio and hormonal system....and I am going to find out what the answers are for these problems one way or the other!  I really, truly believe that the Hep-C doctors owe their patients more than just getting them the SVR and then shaking hands and telling them to enjoy their new life!  It does not end at the end of tx, by any means....and maybe we need a new medical discipline to be developed:
post therapy recovery and health!

Don't you think maybe Schering or Roche might want to sponsor some studies?
Don't you think they might want to help us fix any problems that may have been caused by the drugs that we used?  II bet if they only knew what was going on they would jump all over these issues.......  Yeah, I bet!

DoubleDose

post therapy recovery and health!

DoubleDose

post therapy recovery and health!

DoubleDose

post therapy recovery and health!

DoubleDose

post therapy recovery and health!

Don't you think maybe our drug companies might want to sponsor some studies?

DoubleDose

post therapy recovery and health!

DoubleDose
I've got the same problem and its getting really depressing.  My weight is now 20 pounds over my 'normal' weight, and most is belly fat, and flab around upper chest.  I can't seem to lose a pound, and I get discouraged much more quickly now than ever before treatment.  I have a very hard time getting motivated to exercise, and I have much lower tolerance for exercise.  I seem to crave food, of all kinds, at all times, and I really am having problems saying 'no'.

As I have stated recently, I am full scale into the metabolic syndrome, and for the first time in my life my BP is regularly elevated.  I feel sluggish, tired, and I have to really push to get started in the mornings.  My limbs and head often feel numb or have mild tingling, electrical sensations.

think the interferon has altered my system, metabolism, cardio and hormonal system....and I am going to find out what the answers are for these problems one way or the other!  I really, truly believe that the Hep-C doctors owe their patients more than just getting them the SVR and then shaking hands and telling them to enjoy their new life!  It does not end at the end of tx, by any means....and maybe we need a new medical discipline to be developed:
post therapy recovery and health!

Double

post therapy recovery and health!

Double

post therapy recovery and health!

DoubleDose
test
Hi jim, well before tx, I had a bloatness in the stomach area then I drank heaps of water, couldnt get enough actually, and I lost weight quite rapidly.  I was thin for a couple of years, then did the treatment, lost more weight, was a rake.  Post treatment the flab began, and has just got bigger and bigger each month, I complained of bloating but got no answer.  It all happens in the stomach area, I am fine everywhere else.
It has got to become quite uncomfortable now, sitting down is bad.  It is quite depressing as Doubledose says, and the fatigue is debilitating that you cant be bothered to exercise.
I also have the numbness and tingling in the hands and feet.  Body balance is out of whack, and I seem to see things different, as in a 3D type of way, hard to explain.  Cognitive problems as well.
I agree, we are not told of the possible side effects of treatment, and the drug companies and doctors do have a lot to answer to.
I always tell anyone new starting treatment to wait if they have no stage of fibrosis, that something else will come along in about 5-10 years that is better than interferon.  But they dont want to hear it, some of them.
I am trying to get a Post Treatment Study happening here in Adelaide, South Australia, got some chasing around to do, but hey, someones got to do it, and be a pest. lol.
Is their any Doctors/Researchers in USA that would be willing to take up the Study? Maybe you all should demand it over there, and make pests of yourselves too.

Linda
Yes, only in the stomach area. Seems to be a combination of fat and bloatness. Since I'm comitted to lose the weight, I'll find out soon enough how much is much as I assume the fat will eventually fall off although only willing to drop another ten pounds to find out. Beyond that I'll just be losing too much muscle.

Problem is I'm still in better shape than my doctors who are 15-20 years younger, which isn't saying much -- so when I point out the issue, they just write it off as  normal abdominal fat for a middle-aged male which they see all the time.

And you know what it's like trying to tell them that it was different before treatment. It's like they go into a state of unconcious denial that treatment could cause anything :) Well, when I eventually walk in with washboard abs that stick out like a pregnant lady, we'll see what they say then. LOL.

Good luck with your study, but I dobut if too many doctors here are motivated to participate. Their efforts are with the drug company studies for a myriad of reasons, money being just one.

Be well,

-- Jim
Good luck with your fitness regime, let us know how you fare etc.

I just came across this book called "Moving on after treatment", thought you might want to check it out.  Here is the PDF link:

http://www.hepatitisaustralia.com/PDFs/Movingon.pdf
Just in the 9 mon. that I've been off treatment this time, I've had a big weight gain.  I went from 125 lbs. on stopping treatment to up to 149 lbs. as of yesterday at the Dr.'s office.  I exercised on the treadmill and did hand weights and occasional stationary bike, so I am not sure that all of this is muscle loss.  I think for me, it's more of a metabolism thing.  Also, possibly I am eating a lot more.  Actually, I know that I'm eating more than when I was treating.  I do hope that it slows down soon.  I can't afford to replace any more clothes that I've outgrown.  I didn't clear, so I don't know if this extra weight is putting any extra strain on my already overtaxed liver.  I know that right now, it feels a lot harder for me to feel good post exercise, than I did prior, on my past - end of treatment times.  I also became hypothyroid with this past treatment and I wasn't prior to this last treatment.  Anyway, it's a pain in the            you put in the body part!        Susan
I have gained 17 lbs since ending Tx after losing only 5 during tx.  I have thus far been blaming Thanksgiving, Christmas, UND celebration and winter inactivity for my weight gain. Moving more and eating less has been the only thing that has ever worked and will likely be my only remedy.  -Lee
Just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. Hopefully it will motivate folks coming off treatment to carefully watch how fast they put on pounds lost during treatment and to intervene with diet and exercise so the weight does not come back as fat. How plausible this is I have no idea as so many factors are at play coming off treatment. Hopefully, it's an issue that can resolve with time and/or diet and exercise. Again, for those treating who have lost a lot of weight, this may be the last thing on their mind, but soon enough treatment will be over.

-- Jim
From being a complete and total skeleton aka shades of Meryl Streep in Sophies Choice to now just watching the scale going up up up every week (and I had already gainned back the 20 that made me skeleton woman) and I'm not eating anymore than I ever really did!

I can't stand it. I've ALWAYS worried and kept myself in prime shape. Even after gaining 65 pounds with BOTH kids I was able to bounce back in a few months.

Now.............I have to tell you this is making me almost insane. Where is ephedrine when I finally need it?

;)

I can totally relate.
And I'm now working out at the gym HARD with cardio and weights. I know this is not muscle gain from the gym...it's freaking me out.

As I told the endo doc - after all the years of giving up cheeseburgers and fries and milkshakes if I gain weight NOW I'll kill myself and it won't be a problem.  All of that sacrifice! AH!!!
Hopefully you can catch it early since you just came off the drugs.
In my case, I just let it go for a number of months rejoicing in getting my taste buds back, etc.

From what I've learned, the best cardio program for burning flat ironically isn't higher intensity aerobics like running but rather longer duration lower intensity aerobics like walking, ellipse machine, etc. You can 'google' "fat burning, aerobics" and such, but basically the idea is to stay in the fat burning zone between 60-120 minutes a day. To get an approximation of your fat burning zone, subtract your age from 220 and then multiple by .7  

And yes, weight training is very important so when you lose the weight, you lose less muscle. Along with that, you don't want to lose the weight too fast because again, you'll lose muscle, so the trick is to eat enough food to keep your lean body mass and let the low level aerobics eat away the fat. Losing any more than 1-2 pounds per week is not a good idea.

At least that's the theory, and hopefully it will work for us!

-- Jim
As a post note to those soon coming off the drugs. What happened with me was that I started eating very healthy as soon as my taste buds came back which was within a couple of weeks of stopping the drugs. What happened was that I actually lost a few pounds and started to panic that I'd never regain the weight I lost during treatment. So then I started to up the calories. Big mistake. Looking back, what I think happened during my initial post tx weight loss was that my metabolism hadn't changed yet from treatment metabolism to post treatment metatbolism. Had I known it was going to change, and what would follow, I probably would have stuck to that better diet. Now, I'm just trying to play catch up with all those pounds which is always more difficult. So, just remember, when you come off the treatment drugs those lost pounds WILL come back, no need to help the process along by eating too much.

-- Jim
If you haven't gotten an IPOD yet, consider one. I just upgraded to the 80 Gig Video and loaded it with all sorts of stuff. You can customize 'playlists' to your workouts with your favorite music; also download whole seasons of  TV series you missed, as well as movies. An episode of "24" for example -- without commercials --  is around 45 minutes. That's could be most of your 60 minute aerobic workout right there. Then there're audio books and lots of free stuff like podcasts and NPR broadcasts, etc.
I am 5"3' and weight 135 pounds at start of tx, and now weigh130-132.
The ultra low carb diet , between 20-40 carbs a day is keeping me there.
In addition the gluten free diet is forcing me to stay the course. I don't like gluten free procucts, so it's protein, veggies and fruit.
Plus I am so freaking scared of diabetes and metabolic syndrome, I was able to overcome my huge appetite.
I stopped execising last Oct, don't have the energy. I also have a 24 hour fast about every 3 weeks to give my liver a total rest, no vitamins, nothing, just water.
My glucose was 108, and my triglycerides 220 before going low carb.
If I ever start exercising again, I raise the carb load, but only a little.

Ina
If I go that low on carbs I literally 'zonk'. Mind goes fuzzy, weird things happen and my GERD (reflux) returns. Glad it's helping you, however. Curious, you say you're a couple of pounds lighter than when you started. Was there a period when you did put on weight post tx, perhaps before you started your low carb diet? And second, how about the weight distribution? Are you, of did you earlier, notice more fat around the stomach area than before treatment? Anyway, happy you missed THIS post tx side effect, because you've certainly had your share!

-- Jim
Now we are getting somewhere.
Would you kindly elaborate on your companien....do you use a foot pump, does she have belly fat, what is her BMI status....definately more details are needed to get the full picture.
But I do understand if you wish to remain silent about such personal matters.

Whatever happend to the girl at the derms office...I thought something was cooking?

Ina
6 weeks into tx I developed Crohn's disease and lost 5 pounds a week for 4 weeks. I stayed at 115 pounds for about 8 month.
I regained about 5 pounds as the Crohn's improved, and finished tx weighing about 120-122 pounds.
So yes, I did regain 10 pounds. But not very fast. The first 3 month off tx were wonderful, I could eat anything and gained no weight.
But my triglycerides were not coming down to pre tx levels, and the glucose kept on rising, so doc started ringing alarm bells. Around June 06 I made the difficult choice to give low carb a try and my weight stopped going up.

I admit it has been difficult, but dealing with diabetes and heart disease is worse. I am seing first hand on my husband what type 2 diabetes can do, even though he is well controlled. He also has 3 stents and now a pacemaker.

I am considerd overweight by 10 pounds. And yes, I have a belly. It's all in my belly, hips and thighs, and of course I am somewhat flabby.

Ina
Sounds like you're on 1500 calories a day or something like that. Did you ever figure it out? I probably WOULD lose my stomach on that diet in fact probably disappear altogether. LOL. I burned 750 calories this morning just on the treadmill. Glad it's working out for you.

Drofi,

I think what the calorie/weight argument fails to take into consideration are an individual's metabolism and how they lose the weight. Two people -- or in this case the same person (me) at different times -- can eat the same amount of food with the same amount of exercise, yet gain weight differently. Same as to where the weight goes on -- fat versus muscle. I'm sure you're run into people who literally eat like pigs and are thin as a rail and conversly those who hardly eat at all and are overweight.
Fruit (fructose) is carbs. Are you taking that into account in your carb allocation. Bananas, for example, are VERY high in carbs and are actually discouraged on for example the Zone diet.

I was strictly on the Zone for a month but couldn't hack it. Blood work started getting better but I got "Zonky" and near the end got so hungry at night that I almost ate the cat, but then realized I no longer have a cat -- that's the 'zonky' part. LOL.

Sort of drifting dietwise now, but here's a sample day:

Bialy with a little butter and coffee, half a zone bar and to the gym.
Lunch: Salmon with two large servings of vegetables and another cup of cofee  and maybe another half or whole Zone bar.

From there, I "graze" until bedtime consuming, for example, a Greek Salad at a local restaurant; at home, (two( four-once turkey burgers (white meat), two or low-fat three sting cheese things, a couple of servings of fruit (not bananas); 12-24 raw almonds; another Zone bar; more coffee. Other than the bialey which I plan to burn off the carbs at my workout -- no bread, cakes, pasta, potatoes, or any other carb except the fruit. Not ideal but we'll see how it goes. Alternatively, I sometimes substitute smoked salmon and egg whites, lettuce and tomatoe for the Salmon lunch. I probably need a cook, or a wife, or something but that's about the best I can do for now.

-- Jim

(PS thinking of Pizza as I write this)

First of all I eat no prepared foods, processed meats, injected beef, pork or chicken, cold cuts of any kind, smoked anything, canned foods (except tomato or beans), no cakes, ice cream or dessersts of any kind except fresh fruits.
No crackers, waffles, chips, no sauces, gravys, salad dressings, nothing deep fried.

I only eat twice a day.
Breakfast a small slice of gluten free bread, with either an egg, sardines, Adams peanutbutter, the one you have to stir, is low sodium and no hydrogenated oils, with Smuckers low sugar jam, or low sodium tuna, or I make a banana sandwhich, or leftover salmon or chicken.

Plus an apple with walnuts, or fat free yoghurt with fresh fruit or frozen fruit, and a glass of low sodium tomato juice for potassium and lycopene.

Dinner: twice a week salmon, one day catfish, one day a pound of shrimp, 2 times a week chicken or turkey. Every 10 days a steak.
Once a week I eat in the buffet and brake the rules a little, but not in the carb department. The waiter there has Celiac disease, and he told me what has been prepared without gluten.
With dinner 2-3 vegetables, sometimes all are fresh, sometimes one is frozen.
I cook kale or color greens every week, broccoli, cauliflower, aspargus, big onions, any and all vegeatables.
Every day a grapefruit or orange, plus grapes or a pear.

Thats it, but of course 30 or so vitamins and supplements and 3 almonds a day for micro minerals.

Sometimes I skip the slice of bread for breakfast, and that day I have a half a cup of beans, but I never have both the same day.

Potato is no more, and I loved them so, maybe once a month.
On salads I have lemon and Flaxoil.
Sugar substitute is Stevia.
I am not nearly as bad as rocker, he lived on seagrass and apple cider vinegear.

HR would love this diet, he is probably even stricter. From what I heard he has not an ounce of fat on him, by design.
He would probably call me 15 pounds overweight.

I may have a fibroscan this summer. I have some stuff for auction in NY. If it sells I can afford to go.

Ina
I don't think it affected my brain one way or another. I have been semi moronic since ending tx, and still am.

You can try eating sugar rich fruits like grapes or oranges, and see if that helps while trying a low carb diet. Fructose pretty much goes straight to the brain.
You are not hypoglycemic by any chance?
it is simple: No weight gain when more energy is burned away by moving than added by food calories.
See the very informative FDA link: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/obesity.html
I just saw the cortisol-Relacore thread. I agree with swahnzong, Relacore won't do much.
To keep cortisol in check we need DHEA, which significantly declines with older age, while cortisol output more or less remains the same.
Get your DHEA checked, we talked about it.
I take 25 DHEA a day, with the blessings of my cardiologist, endocrinologist, and gynecologist.
My DHEA was way below normal, age adjusted.
Remember that hormonal paper DD linked last year, good stuff, try to dig it up.

We see the tax man next week, have to get papers ready, won't be back for a few days.

Ina
You definately need someone to cuddle with. Just stop being so demanding, she does not have to be perfect...time keeps passing you know.

How can you even think of pizza...start dreaming about kale and a big juicy baked chicken leg and thigh...that's what I have tonight, and baked squash, and a pound of fried yellow onion, with the fat padded off , of course.

No I don't count calories. BTW, bananas only ones a week.
I eat huge portions , nothing to sneeze at. That is 3/4 pound of salmon, or a 3/4 pound of chicken, a 3/4 pound of this or that.

Ina
Yeah, I used to burn about 700 calories every other day last summer in the club.
Now I schlep around the house and burn nothing. But this weekend I wash my filthy car, that ought to burn a little something.

And no, I don't count carbs in fruit, that is too much of a job. I avoid corn and carrots because of their high carb load. In regards to fruit I look at the glycemic index. The day I have grapes I avoid an orange, and so on.
That skimpy slice of gluten free bread has 10 carbs, I measured it, it's 3 1/2 inches by 3 inches, the size of a zwieback, but that's the only bread I can buy without traveling 40 min downtown.

Ina
I don't demand that "Jenna" (my pump-up doll) be perfect. Just wish she wouldn't make those hissing sounds when it's time to put her back in the drawer.
Curious, what's a typical day's menu look like for you? I mentioned I can't think clearly on a very low carb diet, wondering if you've noticed a difference as well. Thanks.

-- Jim
that jenna comment.... funny    hsssssssssssssssss