Pre-Treatment Viral Load Results
Hi everyone,

The results of my first viral load test came back yesterday and I need your opinions.  The number is: 15,700 IU/mL.  According to my own research, that's a very low number (apparently anything less than 800,000 IU/mL is considered low).  

I understand that there's not necessarily a correlation between viral load and liver damage (I haven't had a biopsy yet), but I'm wondering if I should be encouraged by such a low number?  

What do you think?

Susan
Sounds encouraging.Did the test also give you your genotype?
Low load like yours is associated with a better likelihood of clearance. Your genotype is the most important factor is this regard and I don't think you've posted that. Low load doesn't correlate with low liver damage although that may be the case. I would be encouraged were I you. Good luck. Mike
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm on my way out the door in a few minutes to give a blood sample for the genotype test.  Maybe I'll really luck out and have a low pre-treatment VL AND a genotype 2 or 3.  I'm not counting on that, though.  But at this point, ANYTHING remotely enouraging, like a low VL, is at least something to hang on to.

I'll let you know what my genotype is when I get the results in a few days.

Susan
I had a very low VL (123,ooo) but my liver was at stage 3. As far as I know the benifit of low VL is your chance of clearing is better and us type 1's need all the help we can get. I'm going to get the results of my 12 wk test this am, hoping for good news, will post this pm. best of luck with your tx.
The biopsy will tell the tale. The viral load can be low or high but the the degree of damage to your liver, only shown by a biopsy, really is the thing to look at (as well at genotype and most Americans are type 1). I was at a 3.2 million viral load, that dropped over 90% in a few weeks of tx. My liver has significant damage -- Stage 3 -- hopefully some of which will be reversed through tx.
I had a viral load of 10,125,000.....when should i have it checked again.. i just spoke to my mds office and they said they wouldnt check it till treatment was over....i guess that is ok for them... what do they care...but i want to know whether i am responding...so anyone know when the best time to check would be?? Any other tests i should ask for??? They said they would do a tsh at 10 weeks...and they are doing the cbc with diff at 2 weeks..
They, more than likely, are monitoring your liver levels etc. I would ask them to do a PCR at week 12 of tx. Then you will know how tx is working.
Sorry to cut in here, but there were no more postings allowed today.  

I just got my latest viral load back and it's down to 1,000 copies!  I'm very excited since I'm on my 5th round of treating and I've never gone undetected and now it seems like it may just be a possibility.  Thank you GOD!

Dr. is a little bit concerned about my white cell count as it is fairly low.

Susan400
Congrats, glad to here your responding, keep it up! just got my 12wk pcr results this morning, I'm UNDETECTABLE!!!!
congratulations!!!!! 5 times??? I am having a hard time with two but got my 12 pcr back today also less than 600 In other words according to my doctor UNDETECTABLE  didn't have those kinds of results till my 24th week first time around. Very happy for all of us today.
15,700 is the lowest viral load I've heard.  That is great news as far as your chances of success in TX.  Also you're a female which is another positive factor.  The 3 main prognosticators of TX success are genotype, viral load and gender.  So far you're two for three.  With a viral load that low, I'd consider TX regardless of what my biopsy said.
boy - what a great day! Congratulations to all on the wonderful results.
Great! I am so happy for you. Congrats! LL
Hi, Susan,
It was about time you got some positive returns, you've sure earned them.  This is so great!  I hope it is an early sign that this time, the tx is working for you.
Maj Neni
Congrats!  There is lot's of good news in here today.  Thanks for sharing your information.  It makes me feel better about my upcoming first tx day.  caruu
Your note really brightened my morning.  Thank you so much for the encouragement.  -- Susan
i was first diagnosed with viral load count of 4.5 million.  after first re-test it went down to an i'm told amazing 71,934.  2 re-test is 132,769.  does this info help?
I just found out I have hep c. I'm almost 20 and my viral load is ubdetectable. Under 600 copies they said. I have had no treatment Nor have I even been to a gastro doc
yet but it seems my body is doing a good job of fighting off the virus on it's own. I'm wondering if this is a sign that my hep c may never be a problem? I also hear it's uncurable, but it is possible my viral load could go all the way to 0?
I was told by my HEP DR that under 400,000 is considered low. at 964,000 myself. and yes VL isn't the whole picture. AST/ALT, and platelet count are also very important numbers, in addition to geno type.

good luck tallblonde
Uncledudeness, Tallblonde started this thread back in 2003; I haven’t seen her post here in years.

Niggles, you most probably don’t have a viral load; 600 IU/mL is the lower limit of detection for bDNA assays. We can’t detect virus to zero; so you most likely defeated the virus spontaneously with the aid of your own immune response. If this is the case, test again in six months to verify, then have a happy life.

Bill