Hepatitis C Community
Pregnancy after TX
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pregnancy after TX

Well, I start TX Friday 9/16. 2 days to go. I know I am going to go through with it, but now I am starting to freak out. I keep reading things online, and one thing I am concerned about it having a baby after TX. Lets say a year or 2 has passed after completion of treatment, can the baby be affected or risk developmental defects because of TX being in the blood stream, even if a baby is conceived years after TX?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Congrats on getting started Fri.   remember side effects are different for everyone.. >you are young and that  very well may be in your favor  there.
The Ribavirin labeling says you should not try to conceive while treating and for at least six months post tx. Some  ..it seems  only feel comfortable waiting somewhat longer........ possibly a year.
Good luck...
Will
Blank
sorry..."it seems some.....
Blank
Good luck. I am happy you r starting. Wishing u a successful tx with minimal sides
Blank
419309_tn?1326506891
My understanding is that Ribavirin's pregnancy warnings are on the side of caution because of an increase in birth defects in certain laboratory experiments, specifically in hamsters and mice.  It appeared to interfere with the embryonic development process in lab animals; because treatment meds are not cyto-toxic, the expectation is that there is no long term effect on conception, just possible risks to a developing fetus.

Thus far, there have been no documented cases of birth defects or miscarriage as a direct result of Riba administration; case reports actually document women and men who had successful pregnancies despite riba exposure, but I do think it's wise to wait the 6-12 months before conception to be on the safe side.

There is one documented case of a man who had altered sperm, but they returned to normal after 9 months post exposure.  Hope that helps, and good luck with treatment... don't freak out... you'll be so much happier to be hcv-free during pregnancy and delivery!! ~eureka
Blank
1654177_tn?1319842094
Thank you guys. I gotta keep my eye on the prize. You are all so helpful. It's this forum that helped me decide to go through with treatment.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...