Hepatitis C Community
Pregnant and positive hcv

A community of people with Hepatitis C to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: diagnosis, current treatments, side effects, research studies, and clinical trials. To communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit Hepatitis Social.

Pregnant and positive hcv

I just found out I am pregnant and and tests resulted in a positive antibody test., but then a negative pcr. I am O neg blood and have recieved anti d injections before. Could I have got this from them? Do I have Hep C?
If you have a negative PCR you do not have the virus.(Which would have been the test after the antibodies test)You came in contact with Hep C but your body cleared the virus on its own.You will always test positive for the antibodies now.You are very lucky!!!!You are virus free!!!!Have a good pregnancy and dont worry !!!! cindy
P.S.-A Pcr test will test for actual virus in your blood and yours was negative. cindy
Hi there, and welcome to the discussion group.

No, if you are negative by HCV RNA by PCR (PCR test) then you do NOT have active virus. This test is considered very specific for infection.

One likely scenario is that you were exposed and infected for a short period of time (
The other scenario is that the HCV antibody test result was a false positive; this occurs with some frequency, unfortunately.

In either case, you don’t have active infection, and no further action should be required on your part. Of course, verify all this with your MD; he might want to order another test in the future to be certain.

Good luck and take care--

--Bill
The sentence "One likely scenario is that you were exposed and infected for a short period of time ("

Should have read:

One likely scenario is that you were exposed and infected for a short period of time (less than six months, acute phase), but then resolved the virus with your own immune response. This occurs in roughly 20% of cases, leaving the patient antibody positive, HCV RNA negative.

--Bill
Thank you for your responses. I have been a wreck with worry and have no idea how or when I would have been exposed. The Doctor wants to retest me in 3 months. So does this mean I will forever have the antibodies in my body? Is there still a risk of infecting others or my baby?
Hi, I really believe you can relax. Do as your doctor recommends, but the likelihood of finding infection at follow up is very low.

“The Doctor wants to retest me in 3 months. So does this mean I will forever have the antibodies in my body?”

That depends if the antibody test result was a false positive; if this was the case, you were never exposed to the virus. This can be determined by taking a “HCV RIBA” test. If you were actually exposed and infected at some point, then yes, you will likely carry antibodies for life. It’s very important to note that antibodies are not part of the virus itself, but rather a product of your own immune response. They are not infectious, nor are they harmful to you physically.

“Is there still a risk of infecting others or my baby? “

No, there shouldn’t be any risk of infection; you do not carry virus. If you want to test your future baby anyway, be sure to wait for 18 months, as the child carries maternal antibodies for some time after birth.

Your doctor will counsel you on all this... you’re asking very good questions, by the way; be sure to write them down and confirm with your MD.

--Bill

I forgot about the false -positive thing sorry but i am getting better cindy
Hey, it's late in your neck of the woods :o)!
Thank you and your responses are so calming. I have searched the internet for a week and have found just today this site and forum. I also note that I have read heaps of others posts and see that you are very wise and knowledgable on Hep C.
Thanks so much.....Im in Australia and I have searced the net for a week to find out information. This site and forum is fantastic.
Thanks for the kind words :o).

The antibody thing in another perspective...    we all carry antibodies from previous infections from things like cold and flu. The presence of antibodies implies infection, past or present; but they’re a product or our bodies, not of the virus. They are sort of like a ‘fingerprint’ our immune system uses to recognize the particular disease in the future, should it need to.

The HCV PCR test is very accurate for detecting presence of live, active HCV; if it is negative, then the virus has ‘left the building’, and will not return.

Or, you might never have been exposed to begin with; the HCV antibody test relies heavily on follow up testing.

Good luck and enjoy your family,

--Bill

My neck of the woods??????Im on break with nothing to do and nowhere to go and its friday ;) !!! Dejavu??I think Ive already written that once somewhere?????'  ;) !!!
And I might be getting older but I bet I can keep up with you !!!!!!!!And stay up late  !!!! The time at the beep is 1:30 am-----BEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dee1956 DA DA DA!!! 105 and a half... Comment
1 hr ago
prayer33 ... Comment
Track your weight over time