Hepatitis C Community
Proanthocyandin

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Proanthocyandin

Hello all. I am new here. Just found out I have Hep C. 60 years old. Top shape. Asymptomatic..feel great..some weight loss. Have read ofa study at a Japanese University that says Proanthocyandinm an extract of southwest American blueberry leaves stops replication of the HCV virus dead. Trying to find a wau to buy it here in NA. Seema the only thing online id bulk from China which seems a bit sketchy. Any info out there??? Thanks in advance
That study was released 2 years ago, I read it then & found it very interesting  ..
BTW IMO , the Japanese are at the forefront of HCV R&D ... exploring many different ideas and positions on Tx ... like the medical blood filter device DFPP which has been approved by their govt. since 2008 for use in combo P/R for folks with cirrhosis undergoing HCV treatment, with good results.

Even though I am in P/R Tx now ... to me every compound or medical device that over time and clinically studied actually reduces or eliminate the virus would be beneficial to folks .. depending on their unique situation .. is a good thing .

For example , before beginning treatment, if we could reduce viral load to low numbers and then start Tx .. would that factor help to increase SVR odds ? We know that starting Tx with low VL plays a role in increasing odds of achieving SVR.

This compound is found at different levels in many plants ,

Proanthocyanidins represent a group of condensed flavan-3-ols, such as procyanidins, prodelphinidins and propelargonidins, that can be found in many plants, most notably apples, maritime pine bark, cinnamon, cocoa beans, grape seed, grape skin (procyanidins and prodelphinidins),[2] and red wines of Vitis vinifera (the common grape). However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and other plants also contain these flavonoids. Cocoa beans contain the highest concentrations [3]. Proanthocyanidins can also be isolated from Quercus petraea and Q. robur heartwood (wine barrel oaks).[4]

Maybe the saying .. an apple a day keeps the doctor away .. came to be as a result of the Proanthocyandin compound in it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proanthocyanidin

Cheers and good luck

There are 40 million people with HCV in China. If Proanthocyandin killed the virus I think there would be a lot less Chinese sick. Please don't waste your time and money on something like this.
Agreed. That said a new study with decent credentials. Published in the American Journal of American Society of Bio Chemistry and Micro Biology.  by Hiroki Kataoka at the Univ ofMiyazaki.
Your key question as it  seems to me is not if Proanthocyandins have any effect on HCV but if you want to eradicte the virus and thereby cure the disease ?

If you prefer to keep living with the virus I would recommend not to change a thing
of what you are already doing since you are in top shape.
Thank you for your response. Actually the key question or questions are...Has anybody heard of this supplementation? Is this , to anyone's knowledge available in N.A. ? As this main derivative is from the leafs of a blueberry plant indigenous to the US southwest I was hoping it might be. Sounds interesting for what it is worth.
I have been a memer of this forum since March2011, and have spent some time reading posts, learning a lot. Just lately it seems that when people post alternative to soc or even question alternatives, they are scorned as you were. What gives? Is this forum fronting for the soc machine? Where can I go to find some other views?

JDB
Actually the key question or questions are...Has anybody heard of this supplementation? I

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No...I haven"t other than what I just looked up now...Interesting how all the articles posted on any of these  natural supplements ..are always put on the sites ..by the very people that will sell you ..whatever it is.

It very well may be this supplement acts as a antioxidant as it claims as do many others.however .I could not find one independent study that says it will eradicate HCV. to a point of UND. by a sensitive lab test.

JDB 1964...if you could post the results of a legitimate study .with actuall results out of a reputable lab..I for on would be very interested in perusing it....Thx.

As always...buyer beware...

Good luck..
Will

people post alternative to soc or even question alternatives, they are scorned as you were. What gives? Is this forum fronting for the soc machine? Where can I go to find some other views? "

It's not that we are a machine for SOC however we are not stupid and have spent a good deal of time discussing, learning, reading study after study after study.  If the question is whether any of these things actully work to stop the virus. They do not.

Not by any study data that any of us have ever seen.

Reiterating what Susie said seems that those 40million Chinese would know all about this cheap easy cure wouldn't they?

Buyer beware it's your money and your liver to do with what you want.
PS D

I was completely asymptomatic and never knew I had the disease - I was already stage 3 when I was biopsied. Unless you have had one dont assume that no damage is being done to your liver this disease is very tricky.
This is what I read initially.
"Researchers Hiroaki Kataoka and colleagues at the University of Miyazaki and elsewhere in Japan found that a particular type of blueberry found in the southeastern regions of the US strongly suppressed replication of the hepatitis C virus. The study was implemented to find better treatment options for individuals who suffer with the disease. Cases of hepatitis C are prevalent in southern Japan, and the scientists wanted to find out if a supplement might offer some help.
The new study shows much promise, given the difficulty of treating hepatitis C. The researchers found that purifying the chemical compound proanthocyandin, found in blueberry leaves could provide a safe and effective supplement to help fight hepatitis C.

Proanthocyandin can be toxic, but the scientists found that the chemical found in blueberry leaves and other plants stopped replication of the hepatitis C virus at 100 times less than levels that would harm. More studies are planned to find out how blueberry leaves stop the hepatitis C virus from replicating.."

As I said in my first post..I am 60. Probably have had Hep C for 30-35 years. I train hard weights and cardio. Weighed 200...lean muscle...HA! Now down to 178...being sick is a great cutting program. No chubby left. Probably cirrhosis, ( biopsy forthcoming) definitely super high iron,  etc etc. ZEN..meditate. Its all good. I own this one. Have done a lot of reading...hence the post. I am glad to see a vigorous give i\and take on this forum. I am open about my situation but this is the first time I have interacted with anyone in the same boat. Thank you all in advance for your input. Namaste.

People use supplements with different goals in mind.
Some people have the goal of using the supplements to kill the HCV virus.  If the virus has become chronic, this is not likely to happen.
Others either can't use the available drugs for other medical reasons or have been nonresponders to the drugs and they often have the goal of just trying to maintain there health, and avoid a liver transplant,as well as possible while waiting for  a cure.
I believe the later goal has more merit.  My husband has seen lab improvements and feels better when taking the right supplements and he has been a nonresponder 3 times.
Best Wishes for a real cure,
Ev
Succinct. Personal and supportive. Thank you Ev
Here is the issue of the medical journal.
The study, published August 7, 2009 in the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology's Journal of Biochemistry (PMID: 19531480) by researchers Hiroaki Kataoka and colleagues at the University of Miyazaki, may open a new avenue for treating chronic hepatitis C infections.
Vitamin-D: An innate antiviral agent suppressing Hepatitis C virus in human hepatocytes.
Gal-Tanamy M, Bachmetov L, Ravid A, Koren R, Erman A, Tur-Kaspa R, Zemel R.
Source

Molecular Hepatology Research Laboratory, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University.
Abstract

Vitamin-D supplementation was reported to improve the probability of achieving a sustained-virological-response when combined with antiviral treatment against Hepatitis C Virus (HCV). Our aim was to determine the in-vitro potential of vitamin-D to inhibit HCV infectious virus production and explore the mechanism(s) of inhibition. Here we show that vitamin-D(3) remarkably inhibits HCV production in Huh7.5 hepatoma cells. These cells express CYP27B1, the gene encoding for the enzyme responsible for the synthesis of the vitamin-D hormonally active metabolite, calcitriol. Treatment with vitamin-D(3) resulted in calcitriol production and induction of calcitriol target gene CYP24A1, indicating that these cells contain the full machinery for vitamin-D metabolism and activity. Notably, treatment with calcitriol resulted in HCV inhibition. Collectively, these findings suggest that vitamin-D(3) has an anti-viral activity which is mediated by its active metabolite. This anti-viral activity involves the induction of interferon signaling pathway resulting in expression of interferon-β and the interferon-stimulated gene, MxA. Intriguingly, HCV infection increased calcitriol production by inhibiting CYP24A1 induction, the enzyme responsible for the first step in calcitriol catabolism. Importantly, the combination of vitamin-D(3) or calcitriol and interferon-α synergistically inhibited viral production. Conclusion: This study demonstrates for the first time a direct anti-viral effect of vitamin-D in an in-vitro infectious virus production system. It proposes an interplay between the hepatic vitamin-D endocrine system and HCV, suggesting that vitamin-D has a role as natural anti-viral mediator. Importantly, our study implies that vitamin-D might have an interferon sparing effect thus improving antiviral treatment of HCV-infected patients. (HEPATOLOGY 2011.).

Copyright © 2011 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21793032
Found the study
http://www.jbc.org/content/284/32/21165.full
There is also Oxymatrine from chinese invivo studies or Naringenin ect....
I was recently contacted by a University in CA that is recruiting
for a Quercetin trial which I applied for 2 years ago.
It was very satisfying to be able to tell the recruiter , I am sorry
but as far as anbody can tell my virus most likely "has left the building"

There are people on this forum that have invested a substantial amount
of time in researching supplements and alternative protocols including myself.

FYI the Japanase Blueberry study was invitro only.

Ev...has put it well IMHO...many of us prior to treating or have treated and were unsuccessful use a variety of supplements to try and stay as healthy as possible with HCV.(I do myself)

However.unfortunately there is no  reliable clinical data to date that says anything other than the combination of Riba?inf and now 2 other approved drugs (Victrelis and Incivek) will eradicate the virus for good  within lab sensitivities.

You have posted an article . there are no proven clinical studies.  It is not a matter of "give and take" discussion on the forum about what works...until there is a study proving it does ..well ..it doesn"t in most people minds.

You have stated you probably are cirrhotic.. I hope not however if you are my personal suggestion is to talk with a knowlegable doctor(in HCV) and discuss treatment sooner rather than later with drugs that have proven to work in many.(now approx.80%)

Always a personal choice tho..

Good luck
Will
Thank you. Meh..In Canada the system works a little slower. Care is available to all....but seeing specialists etc is a slower process. Took me three months to see a heptologist. An ***hole. Having just put my kid through a CT prep school for 3 years and four years of a Little Ivy college in MA. the funds to go private medical care are a little more limited.  Sadly boils down to who you know in Canada. I am now beginning to pull strings. When I have a more definitive diagnosis I will decide as to direction of treatment. One step at a time. Thanmk you for you thoughts.
I live in T.O.  I know  the system very well :)

Best  to you..
Will
I am glad to see you posted this.  I'd seen it for the first time earlier today and thought it was very interesting.  I'm thinking that it would be really good if you, or someone else posted it with it's own title to the board so more people will see it.  I don't want to post it since I'm known as the "crazy supplement lady "  :>)  and people might not give it the attention it deserves. This was said with humor and no bitterness....see my smile.  :>)
Ev
I did.

Mike
I love your balanced viewpoint. Hope you and Joe are enjoying your summer.

Cheers and good luck

A balanced open response . Thank you.
I've used supplements and nutrition, yoga, etc for years. I arrived at grade 4 cirrhosis and probably was asymptpmatic because I took such good care of myself. I still use power shakes (with frozen blueberries) and green defense powder as well as any vitamin my transplant Dr. authorizes.
I've not had ANYONE on this site discourage use of alternative tx. But I can tell you from my personal research and experience that the tx combined w/ nutrition appeared my best shot at seeing 55.
LOL. I even have a cousin in Montana who shipped me a liquid mixed tincture and bovine extract from her MD who specializes in alternative tx. My viral load climbed. Just my experience and we're all different.
Best advice from me? Find an MD, and then with their advice, use every tool available that he/she will allow. Just don't be offended if dr. scoffs, or at the least gives you a "well go ahead it can't hurt" attitude.
I have confidence in nutritional help. I'm certain this tx is eradicating the virus. I want it ALL! Namaste, Karen
PS Yoga n prayer/meditation helps w/ the body aches and focuses the mind also. Good luck!!
Just curious when people say they have grade 4 cirrhosis what exactly does that mean. I was graded as grade 4 put told it was early cirrhosis, child stage. Not that it makes much of a difference, cirrhosis is cirrhosis. Just curious about the grading stages
Grade 4 is cirrhosis. Then there are 3 stages of that. Child's class A means you are well compensated. Your liver is doing all of it's jobs well enough. Child's class B&C is when the liver is starting to fail. You can stay in Child's Class A for many years. I have been cirrhotic for over 20 years and I am still well-compensated.
Thanks Susan. I now get it.....

Good luck
Lisa
I'm close in age and have had hep c over 40 years.  Haven't ever treated, yet, I'm waiting for a trial I applied for to get the paperwork and hopefully contact me.  I also read that study awhile ago.  In addition I found separate clinical trials (which may have all been in Japan, I know some were) with sam-e, glycyrrhiza (licorice), narringen, to name the ones I recall.  Also sho-sai-ko-to for fibrosis which my doctor says does in fact work and has been proven.  I would like to get my VL (over 21 million) down before treating. I take alot of supplements, drink a pot of green tea daily, eat fresh blueberries and take LEF blueberry caps, Sam-e, etc.  Work out and feel great am physically quite active.  Scared to treat but feel it's time, that is if I get accepted into a trial.  It's confusing because here I try to stay away from anything toxic and it feels counterintuitive to tx in a way - yet I know it's the only thing and the ravages of time with this disease will exact their toll.  My thinking is if it can't hurt and may help why not?  Agreed it can be costly but it's all relative.
Sorry for mispelling...
I contracted hep c in 2002 through a dentist and the doctors wanted me to get on the interferon treatment but I refused because I've seen what this treatment did to alot of people I know so I looked into the herb world.  I tried many combination of different herbs that worked some what but not what I was looking for it to do,  I wanted to get rid of the mind fog, flu tape symptoms and the liver hurting when the hep raised it's head!  Now you made a comment to the person that was trying to get some positive feed back that stop wasting his money that the Bilberry extract so fourth wont work because there's no study backing it up?   Well I went on the Bilberry extract, cherry fruit extract, pinebark extract, wild berry extract, grapeseed extract, cranberry extract, olive leaf extract, black onion seeds and tymus taking them twice a day.  I've been on everything for almost two months now and I feel great no more symptoms that I mention in the above I actually feel normal again and going for my blood test next month and compare it with my last viral test and will post it.