Hepatitis C Community
Pros and Cons of Hep C Treatment?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pros and Cons of Hep C Treatment?

Hi all.  I am new to the forum but not to the hepatitis C family.  I've had it for 26 years and for the past 4 years my symptoms are pretty bad.  I'm wary about treatment because I've heard so many stories from people who relapsed, and the side effects were horrendous.  I know the outcome varies based on many things, such as, genotype, age and health condition.  I am genotype 1b, last biopsy in 2010 showed I was a stage II, grade II. Is there anyone out there with the same genotype who did treatment and succeeded?  
Welcome here, your really are at a stage where you should start thinking about getting rid of this. The more damage the harder it can be to cure it. And since your two years out from your last biopsy you could very well be pushing stage three by now.... To answer your question there are many here like you that have treated and are now Hep-C free.

I'm also a 1b but stage 4, and while I am now free of hep C one does not want to wait until their cirrhotic if at all possible, its a real life changer.

Best to you.
There are many many genotype 1s who have succeeded especially with the new triple treatment. If you look at the social side at people who say SVR ! they are the current success stories.

The pros are obvious. Hep C is the number on cause of both liver cancer and liver transplantation in the US as well as currently  killing more people in the US than AIDS.

Treatment is not easy, has many side effects and there is the possibility of long term side effects.

For more information I suggest you check out:
www.hepcadvocate.org
I WAS 1B, treated with the triple therapy (Incivek), and cleared.  It was harsh, but I too was at Stage 2, and did not want to wait any longer.   All the best to you.
Thank you so much for your answer.  I'm okay with harsh (have to be), it is the cleared part that troubles me and the possible long term side effects.  How long have you been cleared?  I don't won't wait any longer either.  
I think I know why you're called the can-do-man...cuz you cleared the virus!
That is very hopeful news!  And the fact that many others have cleared it too.
How long have you maintained SVR?  What medications did your treatment consist of? How long did treatment last?  And what was the worst side effect?  Sorry for the onslaught of questions.  I'm so grateful for your answer and thank you for welcoming me aboard!
Thank you for the reference to www.hepadvocate.org.  I will definitely check it out.  Have you cleared the hep C virus?  How long?  
"How long have you maintained SVR?"
I was last tested 16 months post treatment...

" What medications did your treatment consist of?"
Interferon, Riba, and the PI called Victrelis...

"How long did treatment last?"
Being I was stage 4 (cirrhotic) I treated for 48 weeks, in your case depending on how quick you become UND your tx could be only 24 or 28 weeks...

There are plenty of people here willing to answer any question you might have so thats not a problem, we have all been through it.

Wishing you the best.

" And what was the worst side effect?"
For me it was anemia, but procrit kept me going. Some people are reducing the Riba...

Hi...

There are many people on this forum who have treated successfully with Geno type 1 or are currently treating .

The success rate with the introduction today of the third drug (either Incivek or Victrelis ) added to the standard drugs Interferon & ribavirin ,has increased success rates to approx. 70 -80% (depending on many factors as you mentioned)

I would agree with cando that at St.2 you would be best advised to consider treating as  data shows that the more damage (fibrosis) one has to their liver ,it may be somewhat more difficult to sustain a clearance of the virus.

The side effects are very different for everyone and many go through the therapy with onlt mild effects,however it is impossible to predict until you start.

Hopefully you have seen or  will see a specialist who is knowledgeable in HCV and it's treatment  paradigms to help guide you and advise the best course of action.

good luck and welcome to the zoo...

Will
Yes I cleared. I had genotype 2. When diagnosed I had decompensated cirrhosis, did tx anyway and relapsed.I'm sure it didn't work because my liver was already so damaged.  I had  a transplant in 2009 and last Fall did treatment again.As of last month I am undetected for 6 months post tx meaning the nasty virus is gone ! Mission accomplished.
That is awesome!  Thank you for the encouraging reply.
Very detailed answers, I really appreciate that.  Best wishes to you also.  Sounds like the treatment worked well for you.
Trial info show lb responds better than 1a on tiriple.  If you want to rid yourself of the virus now is a better time to do it than any other treatment offered in the past.  It all comes down to whether it's an opportune time to treat in your life given your circumtances or if waiting 2+plus years will work out better for you with the interferon free treatments.  The less liver damage the better the odds of SVR in most cases.