Hepatitis C Community
Psoriasis and hep C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Psoriasis and hep C

My younger sister was diagnosed with Hep C just a little bit ago (like a call from the doctor at 7am) and she has had psoriasis for about 5 years...she is only 22 years old. Looking at the treatment options for Hep C it seems she needs to find out the string of the Hep C in order to determine how her treatment will go. It doesn't look good for someone with a compromised immune system to be able to have a succesful treatment for now with Hep C. Anyone out there with help, suggestions, or overall support information for our family and of course for my little sis?
Tags: Psoriasis, hep c, c, hep
First of all her age of 22 means she really has a lot going for her.The younger a person is the better effective treatment is. I don't know how psoriasis affects treatment or outcome if any.Yes,she will find out her string which is called genotype. Genotypes 1 & 4 generally treat for 48 weeks and genotypes 2 & 3 treat for 24 weeks but if someone is a slow responder then treatment for all types may have to be extended. Of course not all people need to treat right away.Her Dr will discuss that with her. There are many people waiting for the new drugs to come out in 2011 or 2012 that will increase the effectiveness of the treatment.
You have found a great site here.This forum has many well educated and knowledgable people on it who can be of great help,Welcome and post questions anytime.
Here is another great site for newly diagnosed HepC people. It's called janis & friends.

http://janis7hepc.com/
FWIW - I have Hep C and have had Psoriasis almost as long, 30+ years (about the time your sister was born :) After starting treatment it didn't really change much. I was UND in week 10. The one didn't seem to affect the other. Results vary by person.

All the best to you and your sister.  
Treatment (Interferon) can cause Psoriasis to get worse.

"Interferon used for hepatitis treatment -- alpha and pegylated forms -- have been known to cause severe side effects, including:

* worsening of psoriasis
* irritability and insomnia
* fatigue
* headaches
* weight and hair loss
* depression and mood changes
* decreased white blood cells and platelets
* elevated liver enzymes
* difficulty concentrating and impaired memory"

So what I was advised to do was see my dermotologist so they could see the current degree of Psoriasis and then if I had an issues they were prepared to try different treatments if I had a worsen of Psoriasis.

Luckily I did not have any issues with my Psoriasis during the 12 weeks of (failed) treatment. In fact this my be just circumstantial and "your mileage may vary", but since my HCV treatment my Psoriasis has disappeared. I had a moderate case for about 10 years after it was triggered off by taking Lithium as best as I can tell.

Good luck.
HectorSF
Hector - how long was it post tx did you psoriasis go away.  My husband has it bad. Post tx 4 months.  I feel so sorry for him.
Psoriasis patients show signs of insulin resistance.

Boehncke S, Thaci D, Beschmann H, Ludwig RJ, Ackermann H, Badenhoop K, Boehncke WH.

BACKGROUND: Recent observations suggest that psoriasis is a risk factor for the development of coronary artery calcification which in turn represents an indicator for atherosclerosis. OBJECTIVE: To clarify a possible pathogenetic link between psoriasis and atherosclerosis, we studied the metabolic state of patients with psoriasis. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients with moderate-to-severe plaque-type psoriasis were enrolled in the study. Detailed information was obtained on the patients' clinical picture and history of psoriasis, smoking habits and medication. The body mass index (BMI) of the patients was calculated. Laboratory investigations focused on values for inflammation, lipid profile and multiple cytokines. The intima-media thickness of the carotid artery was measured by ultrasound, and an oral glucose tolerance test was performed to calculate the homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA). RESULTS: Numerous well-recognized correlations such as between BMI and HOMA (P < 0.02) as well as BMI and vessel wall thickness (P < 0.05) were successfully reproduced, thus confirming consistency of our dataset. With regard to psoriasis, we observed a significant correlation between the Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) score and insulin secretion. Moreover, the PASI score was significantly correlated with serum resistin levels--a cytokine known to be increased in insulin resistance. CONCLUSIONS: Taken together, several measurements indicative of insulin resistance were found to be significantly correlated with the PASI score. The concept of insulin resistance as a consequence of chronic inflammation and possible pathogenetic cause for comorbidities known to be associated with psoriasis is supported by these data. Our findings validate further studies on larger cohorts as well as interventional studies.

I hadn't noticed (until I read this), but the psoraisis (psoriasis) I've had behind my left ear since I was 11 (which makes it about 44 years) is gone. I finished tx in November. It was still there during tx, but no better or worse than usual. At some point this winter it disappeared. Oh how I hope it never comes back. That would be great.
I had psoriasis flare-ups on my elbows before tx and they seemed to worsen during the first half of tx. Nearing the end of tx soon, and the skin issues are gone.