Hepatitis C Community
Question about Hep C test

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Question about Hep C test

Hi, thanks for your help with my question. I made 1 mistake in 12 years and went outside my marriage and had a 1 night stand with a stranger I met at the bar while away on work. My initial concern has been herpes. I've been tested for stds 3 times 6 - 8 - 12 weeks all negative. The PA at the clinic said his only concern was that my hep C levels looked elevated at 8 weeks. He ran it again and said I didn't have Hep C I did another std test at 12 Wks and again elevated levels if hep C.
Would it really be possible to get that from one altercation like that? What would make the levels high if not?
Thank you very much for your time!
"Would it really be possible to get that from one altercation like that?"
_____________________________________

One of the ways you can get hepatitis C is from high risk sexual in counters.
What is high risk sexual in counters?  Unprotected sex with a non-manogamous (one night stand) partner.   Rough sex where blood is involved.

Hepatitis C is transmitted by blood to blood contact.  Even tho it's not a STD
it's a possible risk but it's a low risk.   You would have to have a open wound and their blood get into that wound.   As you can see that's not a common event.  I would get a viral load test to confirm that you do or do not have Hepatitis C.   You can test positive and only have Hepatitis C antibodies.  Meaning you were exposed bur cleared the virus on your own.
High risk sexual in counters = High risk sexual encounters. Don't want to confuse this issue.
Thanks for your comment!
Is it common to see elevated levels on a test like I had without actually having it. Maybe just something in my body or....?
Thanks!
Can you give the test name that you had and what the results are , is it the HCV antibodies? If you have a copy or can get one maybe then you can post your results. It's difficult to answer without that info.
No it is not common to see elevated HCV levels on any tests. Since you said the clinic "ran test again" and said you did not have HCV then you most likely have the antibodies not the active disease. Sounds like they may have done a PCR follow-up. The only way to confirm if you have it or not is get a PCR test. This will show if you have a viral load. I would specifically ask for PCR test. Request copies of all your test results.
Hello, thanks for looking at my post. I wanted to see if I could get some more feedback. The doc at the walkin clinic said my antibody test at 8wks was 1.08 he then ran a PCR test which he said was very clearly negative. 1 month later at 12 weeks my antibody test was 1.18
He said if I had Hep C it should be a higher jump and come in for another PCR for peace of mind.
I greatly value an opinion about this matter because I'm pretty nervous. Thanks so much for your time!
"at 8wks was 1.08 he then ran a PCR test which he said was very clearly negative"

How soon after exposure to HCV can HCV RNA be detected by PCR?

HCV RNA appears in blood and can be detected as early as 2–3 weeks after infection.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HCV/HCVfaq.htm#c5

The PCR clearly shows you do not have HCV

Have a great day