Hepatitis C Community
Question about test results

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Question about test results

Hello all,

I am from Vietnam, I had health check up recently, I got Anti-HCV positive, S/CO = 1.34, (S/CO<1, index <1). It’s week positive.

Right after that test’s result, the doctor asked me to take one more test called HCV RNA Cobas Taqman. This PCR test’s result is “target not detected”.

The doctor told me that I should take another test called HCV b.RNA in 3 months later. Some other doctor says I don’t need any test as I do not have HCV.

I have married for 10 years, and my wife’s test at the same time with me for Anti-HCV is negative.

1. Do you have any idea about the above tests?

2. Do I need any further test?
Adding one more information that the Anti-HCV test is 3rd generation test.
You could have been exposed to the disease at one  point and your body could have beaten it off by itself as 20% of the population with hepC do.  Or the first test could have been incorrect.  

I know it's hard but if I were you I would take the followup tests just for peace of mind and then move on.  Most likely you are fine.
I had blood transfusion about 26 years ago where at that time the blood test for HCV was not available. Therefore I could have been exposed to the disease and beaten if off.

I have vaccinated for HBV last year.

I am thinking of false positive result of Anti-HCV because my wife was negative, and my test cut off is only 1.34 that's weak. My friend who is a doctor said that I have natural antibody for HCV.

There are a lot of information from different sides
I do not believe there is any such thing as natural antibodies.  It would mean you had to be exposed and beat it to have them inside. As for your wife hepc is not really sexually transmitted very easy if at all. Most of the people on here have very healthy relationships and their spouses are not infected so you cannot judge it that way. I thought because my children did not have it that i did not have it (their father did) but it turned out I did have the disease anyway...so you can never tell.

This is why I advise that you just take the test and get it over with. If you have the antibodies only that means you already beat the disease and that is about as good a result as you can ask for because it probably means your liver is in good shape and you don't even have to do the treatment - you can just forget all about it and go on with your life!