Hepatitis C Community
Question about treating Hep C after A & B vaccinations

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My husband needs to be treated for Hep. C. Genotype 2. He has just had his second vaccination for A&B. He has to go for his third vaccination (booster) in April.  Will he have to wait to start his treatments after the booster in April? If so, does he have to wait 6 months for his treatment to start or can he start it directly after his third vaccination? I can't remember exactly what she said.

For the record, the doctor has not sent him in for his liver biopsy yet, but he has been cleared in the initial blood tests (the ones for drugs and alcohol) to start the treatment. He last drank alcohol no later than August. I know she said he can't have any alcohol in his system for 6 months. I am just confused about when it is going to actually start. He found out about having Hep. C. in August and it seems like they are stalling him. Maybe it is just necessary to prepare his body for the treatment?
I’m unaware of any reason that HCV treatment would have to be postponed pending HAV/HBV antibody development. Down the road a bit you’re husband might want to verify that the antibodies *did* indeed develop; this can be discussed with his doctor say, 6 months after his last vaccine. The Twinrix vaccine is precautionary, and not a pre-requisite for HCV treatment.

Good luck to both of you,

Bill