Hepatitis C Community
Questions about Toxins

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Questions about Toxins

This may be a silly question, but I read everything we can smell or touch can effect are liver.I know we can't stay away from everything, but I was wondering if any of you changed things like no perfume or cologne,no pumping gas, painting and household cleaners and ect.?    

If you do stay away from household cleaners what do you use?

Deb
maid service:)
Cornsqueezer:  I find that there are certain smells, and tastes, that really did not agree with me during tx, and still have a carry-over effect for a month.  As far as staying away from chemicals, I was never told by the doctor to avoid anything.  I think our tolerances to certain things change while on tx, so I guess it is an individual thing.  I try to wear a nose/mouth mask when I dust or use any cleaning materials.   My hands (skin) was very sensitive to anything as well. Things smell and taste different to me now, and each day is different too.  I find that I just use light after shower/bath spray instead of heavy perfume now.

Mumsie:::: ahhahaha that is a good one.
lol....Wish I could afford one.
Deb
Certain smells definately give me a headache since on tx. If I smell any scent at all in a store I just don't go in. Certain cleaners give me severe headaches also. Funny thing is I can't stand the smell of my husbands usual cologne now. At first I thought he had changed kinds and asked him and he said it was the same then I asked my daughter" does dad's smell make you sick" and she didn't know what I was talking about. It got so bad I had to ask him to change it. If I even get near the bottle it gives me a headache. I am not sure why but I've heard others have problems with certain smells. LL
haha I like that Mumsie and we should all have a maid for added benefits during tx...Too bad our insurance couldn't kick in on that! Smells have seemed to change somewhat for me also and if I am around anything to strong like household cleaners try to have plenty of fresh air or fans on.  One thing that is weird is my hubby hasn't been able to smell anything while on tx so it does effect some like that.  Taste,,,that is different for me also! Whenever I eat anything spicy like hot sauce,,,I also taste a sweet taste like sugar,,,Really weird! And if anything is slightly spicy,,,its intensified now so seems like blander is better for me.
strong smells have always bothered me, but have not noticed a smell change in tx, only taste.

Indy;  hahaha...glasses? tight neck? I figured that exotic would be with the twirling knives, and perverse is no twirling, straight for the jugular...
and ,,,picture this...Sicily ...198...never mind...a new fantasy was created in match.com during my "single" couple of weeks., and my outfit was that of a GENIE!...also one as a beach Yankee...swimsuit issue with Yanks cap....it got me emails from 36 yr olds....hahha....was I into younger guys...i was laughing uncontrollably...about 6 or 7 of them...but...the profile is gone...so ...missed it.  ok if you say pretty please I will email one...
Ty for the clever intervention in an earlier thread, it was a diffuser...you too chev
Eliminating toxins from your environment is very important for liver health.  How far you go is up to you.  Environmental toxins are bad for anyone, just more so for people w/ a compromised immune system and liver.

Recently, paint co have come up w/paints that don't release toxic fumes.  So, that means all the rest do.

we are on the more extreme end--as in moving far from L.A. to the mts for the air and water, accepting a drastically lower standard to have a more 'qualitive, toxin reduced' lifestyle.  That extends to household cleaners, clothing fabrics,...yap, in order to live I had to return to the 'simple life.'

As to perfumes and cosmetics and lotions and soaps-we're as pure as possible-buying the most ingrediant free products.  The same w/food.  As additive free as possible. I even tell my partner to only drink the good stuff--it would be terrible to lose those liver cells on 'rot gut.'
I agree with NS and add the need for extra care in the kitchen with food safety. Guidelines for food safety can be found on the USDA site.

Buy and use meat and poultry (and fish)as fresh as you can. The purer the food, the better. This means avoiding processed and boxed foods, mixes and canned goods with more than two or three ingredients and never eating something containing words you can't read or understand.

Salmonella and other toxins in food are completely preventable.

I also recommend minding freshness dates (if in doubt, throw it out!), buying organic when you can, and avoiding toxic fumes of any kind (let someone else refinish the old dresser!)

Perfumes, soaps and such are not likely to cause a great deal of problem, however, in the liver treansplant community, there are many who have been told to avoid heavily perfumed and chemically laden cosmetics. It is processed by your liver absolutely.

This is for anyone with liver problems, on treatment or not.

I hope it helps,

thanbey
HELP!!!!!!!!!!  Iknow this is not under the correct thread,,,but i have tried unsuccessfully to post a question for 15 weeks,,with 48 to go ,,i hope,,,,,My GI doctor, dont have a hepatologist,,,,doesn't have a clue,,,The insides of my bones(esp sacrum, and femur ache excruciatingly,,I cannot get out of bed in the am,,,it hurts so bad but I can't stand to lay there either,,,my GI doc wont write me a rx for pain,,,DUMB,,,and he is the only one in town,,,dont feel up to travel,,,my family md will write for Darvocet N-100 three times a day and this barely touches,,,,,Please any suggestions, sources  I need you  help y'all,,,i have not posted much yet i guess because I have not run accross an unbearable se,,,,i mean i am ready to call Canada or Mexico anywhere,,,,,can anybody hook me up???
I was told its good to avoid spicy foods while on tx, has anybody else heard this? Living in the SW this has really been a bummer as I really like to eat mex. food. I will confess I did break that rule, it tasted so good. Done with tx so break out the salsa!!!!!!!
Congratulations on being done!! What a relief...How have you been feeling or can you tell a difference at this point?  Yeah,,,South here and love Mexican Food! But you are right,,doesn't agree with me so great so looking forward to after tx days to break out some spicy foods. Good Luck to you!
One way around it could be to get a dog with a hairy butt.

Not only will it keep the floor swept, but with the fatigue that goes along with TX, it can ease that chore as well...just throw the dog something to chase after to all corners of a room...and there ya go!

Yep....I've been lurking....just had to throw that one in......On another note, I must say....I am one year post TX............it does get better after treatment, and it is well worth it to keep on keepin on.....

Hang in there!
Yeah just did one.....now i'm alome to.
Cuteus.....You never cease to amaze me now. Thanks for the tip.....Ganie will work GREAT for me. I have your outfit all tucked away in my fantasy world now.
I could just "feel" the fight commin on in that thread. A little "diversion" was called for.
As for the rest...."PRETTY PLEASE"....(Indianamann@ aol dot com)

Chevy.....You never asked me to "Smell" you! Hahahahaha That would have been quite a thing to hear. Even I would have wondered about that. But if it relates to Tx and Pheromones we should have done the research. So...next time I will have to "test" you on the Indy "Smell-O-Meter". What do you smell besides the breath??....The bumps?? and how long does one try to smell to get a reading......(hopefully) 2 hours?? I feel a New Business comming into being. "Indys' Day Spa and Pheromone Emporium"....."We just test and YOU do the rest"! Sponsored by "Chevy labs Inc."  
  WE must do research.     THIS could get really fun.....
Hahahahahahahaha
Since you will be specializing in Skin Sniffing, do not forget to add Skin Surfing (checking for bumps) to your resume'.  I got a little warm when I read that Chev was letting you see her skin.......maybe that was my lingering sx since I completed my tx last month........I think I will call you Randy????(get it???) :>)
Great Pics! I know you are so proud of your daughter.  She is really cute!  Where the heck you going?? 16 hour drive??  I was wanting to make a 8 hr drive but would like to break even that up lol  I can't even imagine driving that long...Hope all goes well..
Yes, I am proud to say that I WAS a 2b.  

I will take your next question as a typo...hehe....

Doing great these days!  I was lucky, and have no lingering side effects....it did take a few months to feel "right" again, though..whereas a year ago, I could not walk a block without having to sit down.   I did celebrate a close to one year anniversary of ending treatment with a trip to Dallas to the Crossroads Guitar Fest at the Cotton Bowl (a phenominal concert, by the way...rubbing it in...hehe).   I would never have had the energy to walk as much as I did this past weekend before or after treatment, and that did cross my mind during the weekend.

You are about to cross that finish line, Chevy!  Five weeks is nothing compared to what you've already gone through......it might be easy to try to just stop, and even to think about it....but take it a day at a time..one foot in front of the other, and it will be OVER.

Have a great day!
The only thing I have to add is that most mouth washes, hair-sprays, colongns, and perfumes have alcohol in them , so look at labels carefully.  Also on cough syrups.
                Love, Joni
Chevy just lOVES to tease me. And she's very good at it.
Gettin warm eh? Hahahahahaha Must be the meds still workin on ya. I read your post where you talked about just wearin that hat and sunglasses.....Kinda hard to get too warm in THAT outfit. But it WOULD make it easier to smell your "bumps". You must come to the "Emporium" when we get it going and I will give you a free testing. Just ignore the camera in the backround. Hahahahaha