Hepatitis C Community
RED HANDS AND FINGERTIPS.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

RED HANDS AND FINGERTIPS.

Are red fingertips and red hand signs of liver disease of Hepatitis C?? Just this week while talking to my niece, I noticed that the sides of her hands were extremely red, and asked her what it was?? She said her doctor said it was ecema (sp?) from keeping her hands in hot water so much. I was shocked, then noticed the entire tips of her fingers were the same red (down past the nail bed). What is this?? I have seen a lot of things and read a lot of medical information, even worked in medical offices and I have never seen, nor heard of this except Raynaud's disease with the red fingertips.  What is it???
This community is for persons affected by hepatitis C. We are not doctors here just people with hepatitis C. Does your niece have hepatitis C?

No, they are not signs of hepatitis C or liver disease.

Your niece should see a dermatologist if she has issues with her skin.

Good luck.
Hector
yes, red palms can be a sign of liver disease, but could also be from many other things.

"have seen a lot of things and read a lot of medical information, even worked in medical offices and I have never seen, nor heard of this except Raynaud's disease with the red fingertips. "
___________________________________

Not that it matters but with Raynaud's Disease the fingertips do not turn red.

They (often as well as other extremities) turn white.
This is due to decreased blood flow by constricting the wall of your blood vessels causing less blood to flow to your outer extremities (i.e. vasoconstriction)

http://uvahealth.com/Plone/ebsco_images/7357.jpg
When my hep c doc examined me she said and noted that my palms were redder than normal. Said it was something they look for. It is gone now as I start week 12 in the morning....
I have heard of this problem with people with lyme disease. ...but really sounds just like she said... exsema... Yes it can be in a lot of places and all over. Even in the nail beds. Some fungus can do this too.

'I noticed that the sides of her hands were extremely red'
She didn't say 'the palms' of her hands.

As far as liver disease and stigmata of decompenstated cirrhosis...'palmar erythema' results in exaggerations of normal speckled mottling of the palm, due to altered sex hormone metabolism. Palmar erythema affects mainly the fleshy sides of the palms while sparing the central palm.

It is also seen in pregnancy, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperthyroidism, and blood malignancies.

For a pic of Palmar erythema follow this link and click on thumb nail pics.

http://www.dermaamin.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1215:palmar-erythema-&catid=15:p&Itemid=3

:-)
Hector
I had red palms for about a year. I went to my hepatologist. He looked at my labs and recent biopsy which was grade 1 stage 1-2 . Then he showed me his palms  and said mine were just like his. He told me based on these tests I should not worry. I still have reddish palms but it seems to be less red lately. I also have positive RA so that could be it.
It is the side of her hands, in the fat part beneath the little finger toward the wrist and the ends of her fingers, down past the nailbed. thanks for your reply
To repeat what others have said, although sometimes with liver problems the palms redden, they can also be red for other reasons. You can have hep C and not have red palms also.

When  I was very sick with cirrhosis, the sides of my palms were red but not my fingers.They're still kind of red but so are my mother's and she does not and never has has hep C.
I have the same symptoms: red fingertips and palms.  It has just appeared over the last month.  This is the first thing I found when researching the symptoms.  I have been told by my doctor several times that my Diabetes can affect my liver and kidney function, so, unfortunately, this hits pretty close to home.  

"1. Blotchy red palms

In the short term, red palms might mean you gripped the shovel too hard when you planted tomatoes, hand-washed a few too many delicates, or grabbed the teakettle a few moments too soon. But if your palms remain reddened over a long period of time, this may be a condition called palmar erythema, which is a sign of liver disease, particularly of cirrhosis and nonalcoholic fatty liver. (One exception: If you're pregnant, red palms are normal, because increased blood flow causes redness in more than half of expecting women.)

Why?
Inflammation of the liver gradually begins to impair its function, so it's no longer able to flush waste products out of the body as efficiently, Blanchard says. The result is an excess of circulating hormones, which in turn cause the blood vessels in the hands and feet to dilate, making them visible through the skin.

What to do:
Get evaluated for other symptoms of liver disease, which include swollen legs and abdomen, prominent veins on the upper torso and abdomen, and fatigue. Show your doctor your hands and feet and ask for liver function tests. The most common tests for liver function are a bilirubin count and a liver enzyme count."

http://health.yahoo.net/caring/7-things-your-hands-say-about-your-health