Hepatitis C Community
Rash at corners of mouth/lips and spreding

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I'm sure another Riba rash, but thought to ask for suggestions.  Doc says not herpes, but also thinks Riba sx. But has spread an inch or so from each corner of mouth and is irritating.  Have tried Neosporin, balms and a steroid cream, but not much help.  Could it be fungal or yeast???  What products would anyone suggest?  Thanks, G.
Be careful of steroid creams on your face. If it doesn't go away soon, see a dermatologist. Sometimes vaseline can help applied day and night.
Skin on treatment is much more succeptible to fungal infections.  I would go on to a dermatologist - don't keep suffering with this!
Pharmacist said to start with Clotrimazole - Lotramin - anti-fungus, same as used for athletes's foot, etc.  I guess I have "athletes mouth"!
(Better than jock mouth....)
I've had this problem on treatment, and I have it back now. The first time, the dermatologist prescribed nystatin cream (it frequently is caused by a fungus, candida). It did get better for several months, but now I have it again, probably made worse by wintertime chapped lips. Try simple vaseline lip balm or Carmex to sooth and moisterize the lips.

Mark
i have the smae problem with the lips too. if i keep vaseline on them it's better. my skin is dry and prone to rashes normally. but's it's worse on tx and even more in the winter. i have to keep lotion on and for the problem areas i use 1% hydrocortosone cream. that helps a lot.
I've been having little sores pop up all over my body here and there. I haven't had any mouth sores, but I had one recently on the outside of my ear canal. It was this little sore that just wouldn't go away. I put bacitracin on it for weeks and it still persisted. So I used a q-tip and applied a small amount of Clobex  (clobex is a strong sterodal lotion) to it, and voila! It started healing like magic in just a few days. This stuff is like magic for certain things. It also completely subdues these psoriasis sores I've been getting on my legs and elbow. These sores were starting to get bad, so I started to put the clobex on and now they're drying right up and do not itch anymore. The riba and/or the IFN trigger these skin conditions, I'm assuming it's some kind of allergic reaction. And the steroid lotion subdues your body's overreaction to them and allows your skin to normalize. And clobex is not normally supposed ot be used on your face, armpits or groin - but if you just have two little tiny sores in the corner of your mouth, it might be ok to use it just there. Ask your doctor and dermatologist about it.
I had/have what feels like really chapped lips but just in the corners. My mouth droops (like a frown) now, with the side effects of the meds, and I catch myself every now and then almost drooling from the corners. That's probably where my chapness comes from. I just carry around lip balm all the time now.
my daughter recently had really nasty sores just like you describe (she is not hep c postive) the doctor prescribed the cream and or pills for herpes. it cleared.
Yes you can use Clotrimazole on area around the edges of your lips. The other "end" of your body is just as sentitive!  Here is a link to treatment for Perl
It's OK to put Lotrimin on your mouth?  Do they make a special one for lips?

I've been having the same issues at the corners of my mouth.  Never connected it with tx though, just thought it was me.  Lip balm isn't helping.
I used evening primtose oil while on two different combo treatments.  It helped a lot, along with all of the other important but simple steps - hydrating, keeping house heating to a minimum, minimal showers, etc.

You can get evening primrose at most health food stores.  I believe I took about 2 grams a day, but perhaps more.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

The Mayo CLinic suggest that it is valuyuable for a couple of different skin conditions

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/evening-primrose-oil/NS_patient-Primrose
I've also had the corners of my mouth crack out....And in additon I've had little sores or red blister looking things pop up.....I had to go off Riba for awhile and everything cleared up...Especially the cracks in the side of my mouth..Then the red arks subsided.....I can't say for sure but it would be a Godd Guess that Riba is the culprit....It's aggravating to say the least..It's made me want to quit treatment because I tired of my mouth being cracked out and everything tasting like you have a mouth full of penny's...
Do you drool on yourself at night or at work? Because saliva is a acid that isn't powerful, but over a length of time it can burn your skin.
wtf?
I didn’t ask, Marcia. I decided that anyone with a name like penis is probably an expert on rashes :o).

Bill
lol