Hepatitis C Community
Raw Oysters Warning!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Raw Oysters Warning!

Last night I was in a restaurant and saw this sign on the wall. At first I thought it was some sort of joke or parody, but upon researching Google, I found the exact same warning that was placed on the restaurant wall. Here it is:

EATING THESE OYSTERS MAY CAUSE SEVERE
ILLNESS AND EVEN DEATH IN PERSONS WHO
HAVE LIVER DISEASE (FOR EXAMPLE,
ALCOHOLIC CIRRHOSIS), CANCER OR OTHER
CHRONIC ILLNESSES THAT WEAKEN THE
IMMUNE SYSTEM.

See it here: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/deh/food/pdf/publications_oystersigns.pdf

Magnum
Yep, it's risky alright.
I just assumed people know that about raw shellfish but apparently not.
Be careful.

Mike
it isn't apparent from the post but this pertains to raw or undercooked shellfish.

This issue is bacteria.  Cooking kills the bacteria.

willy
The site with the .PSD format warning says ALL uncooked seafood should be avoided. Clams in a shells, Oysters, Mollusks, crayfish and anything is still moving that came from the sea. And to think I used to dive off the coast of Long Beach, CA, pry oysters right off the rocks, bring them up on the boat, and while they were still squirming, put a little horse radish on them and put them in my mouth. I could feel them squirming before I chewed them, and if I listened real close, I could hear "help me, help me". Now I feel bad...

Magnum
Vibrio Infections
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/232038-overview

V vulnificus lives in areas where the temperature exceeds 18°C. In the United States, it is found in the coastal waters of the Gulf of Mexico, New England, and the northern Pacific. Low-to-moderate salinity (15-25 parts per thousand) provides the most favorable growing condition for V vulnificus, and, conversely, high salinity (>25 parts per thousand) adversely affects its survival. Similar to the effect of high salinity, low seawater temperature (<10°C) significantly inhibits the growth of V vulnificus. V vulnificus is ingested by filter-feeding mollusks such as oysters, mussels, clams, and scallops. During the warmer months, the concentration of bacteria can be as high as 1 X 106 bacteria per gram of oyster.

Noncholera Vibrio infections are foodborne diseases that are largely associated with the following:

Consumption of raw or undercooked seafood such as oysters, clams, crabs, or mussels
    Exposure of wound to contaminated water

Acute gastroenteritis associated with noncholera Vibrio infection is frequently self-limited, although persons with certain underlying medical conditions may develop fulminant infections. These underlying medical conditions include the following:

Advanced liver diseases, such as cirrhosis, hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, alcoholism, hemochromatosis, and liver transplantation

Patients with cirrhosis who consumed raw oysters were 80 times more likely to develop V vulnificus infection and 200 times more likely to die of the infection than those without liver disease who consumed raw oysters.

Hectorsf