Hepatitis C Community
Reason for high ALT levels

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Reason for high ALT levels

I am 34 years old, normal weight, high total cholesterol levels (270) and low HDL (31).  A couple of blood tests in the last two months indicate very high ALT enzyme levels as well -- 82 earlier, and 102 now.  AST level is within the normal range.  Could there be any problems with my liver.  I don't drink alcohol at all, and eat a very low fat diet (mostly vegetarian food).  I take no medications, and in the last two months I have started exercising -- occasionally after prolonged jogging/ playing, I feel a muscle cramp-like pain beneath my ribs (lower right side only) -- i stop the physical activity immediately, and it goes away in a few minutes.  I don't have any problems with normal work outs.  I understand that the liver is located  in that part of the body.  Could there be any connections between the pain, high cholesterol, and high ALT levels.  I am strugging to understand the situation.  Could there be fat deposition in the liver (steatohepatitis?).  I was told that until the ALT issue is resolved, I couldn't take any cholesterol-lowering medications.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

-6 Comments Post a Comment
does having a gallstone affects ALT level from the normal range???
Jessica--you are replyinmg to a question which was asked in 2007.

To all---Is it possible that somebody resurrects an old post in his/her own interest ---to publicise one's magic therapy?
It's probably an "ad bot" that posted the message. When you see one like this click on "report this" at the bottom of the post and select "spam". They'll usually delete it (and the user account) within a few hours.