Hepatitis C Community
Reversing liver damage?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Reversing liver damage?

There are many people that come around and check out this site..Many have gone through, one, sometimes more treatments, and some have achieved SVR, and some have not..My question is for all that have achieved SVR, and have had follow up biopsys after treating. How many have had biopsys after treating, and has anyone achieved reversal of fibrosis, or gone down in stages?? I am very curious, as many studies show that it is possible, but where better to test the theory, than here first hand? Please let us know your experience, and if treament helped with reversal..Inquiring minds would like to know.Thanks, Snook....
Two that come to mind from here are:

<u>BobK</u> - who went from Stage 3 to Stage 0

<u>DallasStar</u> - who went from Stage 2 to Stage 0

I'm sure there are others. Hopefully anyone with first-hand experience will post their story.

TnHepGuy
Wow!! Stage 3 to 0.. Damn, that is what we are all looking for!!
Rev, will have a liver like a five year old too, I imagine..
Do you know if BobK did that in 24, 48, or extended tx?? For anyone else that responds, please tell us the lenght of your tx..Thanks
Hi there:

My husband (Greg) went from a stage 3-4 down to a stage 2-3. He had his first biopsy in May of 2003 and had his second biopsy 13 months after that. For the record his Doctor thought that his first biopsy was misinterpreted by the original pathologist and he believed that Greg actually already had Cirrhosis. He still thinks that's true, so he believes treatment reversed the damage. He also said that Greg's liver will continue to improve so long as he continues to sustain SVR. He is post TX 4 1/2 months.

We're keeping our fingers crossed...

Debbe
Hubby was at Cirrhosis, stage two by bi-op.
His platlets have always hovered around 20-30.  He kept on with full tx even when his platlet levels dropped to 21(for month after month).  

His alt and ast have always tested very high.  He has been on daily infergen...

He has did almost 2??? years of tx.

Last month he started looking better and having some energy again.  He still is very sick and tired...

This last lest show a big drop in his alt level...and lo, and behold...his platlet level is now 98.  Yep, 98!

This is the best that it has been for 3 years.  

Something has happened somewhere...His doctor put him on 24 more weeks of tx.  I think that his liver has finally healed to the point where he can clear.  ?????  time will tell, eh?

Here is hoping against hope,
having faith always...
Shebee
meaning that fava beans are bad for the liver? And an occasional glass of chianti is ok?
I don't think Bob K. will mind if I answer for him.  (I'm passing his info on verbatim.)    Bob is geno 1 and did a whole two years of treatment.  He did relapse at the end of therapy but that came as no surprise to him as it took him about 6 months to test nondetected.  He did the extended therapy to give his liver time to heal, knowing that his chances of achieving actual SVR were slim.  That strategy paid off  in that it has bought him some time and a liver worthy of the best chianti and an amusing little side of fava beans.
Wow, that is great news..Your husband is a real trooper, and I wish him the best!!
I'm not touching that one.
Ha ha ha !!!! Why not Califia?? What the hell is going on?? LOL!!!