Hepatitis C Community
Riba Rash or Poison Ivy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Riba Rash or Poison Ivy

Does the dreaded "Riba Rash"  resemble poison ivy?  Ive got these small, little, bumps that are pinkish-red, and have a little bit of clear fluid in them from my knees down, but only along my shin and the top half around my ankle.  I have looked at some pictures of both, but some of the images for either look like my spots.

Any suggestions for immediate relief from the itching?  PLEASE  :-(  
Have you tried antihistamines?  I take Reactine.

Gold Bond lotion or powder.  I prefer powder but it does dry your skin out more.  :(

Anti Monkey Butt powder.  I'm not kidding.
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion in the green bottle.  
I have been taking benadryl (pills and creme), hot water, Aveeno oatmeal bath, triple-antibiotic ointment.  

I FOUND INSTANT RELIEF just now.  I'm not sure how long it will last (hopefully a long time), and not sure if it will take the rash  away.  

About a month ago, my infant had a really bad diaper rash.  There were even a couple spots where the skin on her bottom was broken open, and her pediatrician gave her a prescription rash ointment called ZABB-3.  

From what I understand about the medication's origin, a local doctor concocted this creme for his/her child when they were young and was able to get a patent.  The main ingredients are quaphor lotion, Silver sulfadiazine creme (used for burns or skin infections), and domeboro (which is an astringent to stops the itching and stinging).

This miracle creme took my baby's diaper rash, that I had been trying to clear up for a week, away overnight.  Hopefully it will work on my once itching legs.  If not, then I'm getting my girls up a little earlier so we can stop at Wal-mart on the way to school for some Gold Bond.  

Suezeeque:  Can the Reactine be purchased OTC or is a prescription required?

I'll let you know how long the butt creme keeps the itching away and how or if it helps me to heal quickly.  This stuff may be the answer to everyone's itchies.  (I hope so anyway, this has been a miserable day)  
It has been over an hour and no itchies!!!!!!!!!
So it was the butt cream that worked??  FANTASTIC!!!  I will keep that in mind for the future.  Thanks!
I'm in Canada so I'm not sure about where you are...  I can buy it OTC at 10mg but have a script for 20mg so that I can use my insurance rather than pay out of pocket.  :D
Still no itchies!!!!!!   And the bumps have almost completely gone away.  

suezeeque:  I am in the Eastern U.S. I will have to do some research on that.

But as far as the ZABB-3  butt creme, it is now my new best friend.  My daughter's pediatrician said to let her know when we are running low and she will send a refill to the pharmacy for her (well for us)..  The itch stopped instantly, and still hasn't came back.  

If this particular rash ointment isn't available in your area, it would be worth it to try to make some home-made.  Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment, Domeboro® Astringent Solution Powder Packets, and a zinc oxide ointment are the main ingredients, you would probably just have to play around with the ingredients until it came to a thick, greasy paste.  

Good luck to the both of you.  Hopefully with the weather cooling down, the skin irritations will go down as well.

Sarah
I am one of those rare people who cant take antihistamines by mouth.  So everything I use has to be topical.   This is what my ARNP told me to use and I am using it religiously.    Aveeno Oatmeal Bath Treatment, they come in generic too and works just as good.   I use this every night when I take a bath and soak in it.   Then once dried off, (pat dry, don't rub)  I dab on my anti itch creme (benedryl, anything generic with hydro cortisone)  where there is rash or bumps.  Then once that has dried I use Eucerine or the generic for dry itchy skin or sensitive skin.  It is really creamy and stays with you.   This usually gives me instant relief.     But the main thing is to keep drinking water, water water !    Keep yourself hydrated and your organs flushed out.   Hope this helps, It does me.  Not saying its been a cake walk, because it hasnt .   God Bless,  Carrie