Riba test
Can someone explain the difference between the screening test and the Riba test for Hcv?

From what I understand, the screening test is accurate for high risk populations, mainly Idu and pre 1992 blood transfusions.  The screening test is not so accurate for low risk populations so a reactive outcome on the screening test has to be confirmed with Riba test, which is very specific for Hcv.  Both tests check for antibody to Hcv, not the virus itself.  the pcr test is for the virus.  Neg Riba is a neg outcome for Hcv antibody.  

Am i correct in this?  Any advice is MUCH appreciated.  Good luck to all on treatment.  I know that is not easy.  Winston Churchill said, 'when you are going through hell, keep going.'
I've never heard of a Riba test so I don't know what to say. Riba(virin) is a medicine.
From my understanding the Riba test is VERY specific for Hep C.   I had one done and was told that it would determine without a doubt if you the antibodies for HEP C.  (Yeah right, mine was indeterminate but that's a whole other story!)

I'm not sure if this answered your question but I was told that the Riba 3.0 was pretty much the gold standard in antibody testing.   Negative would for sure be negative.

The screening tests are 3rd generation tests and are extremely sensitive.  You need to be to pull infected samples out of a healthy population.  The RIBA is similar to a western blot used to comfirm HIV infection.  The RIBA was developed for the same purpose to confirm HCV infection when you get a postive result on your HCV EIA test.  The test was developed bachk when the HCV EIAs were not as sensitve as today.  Todays HCV 3rd gen EIA test are more sensitive than RIBA.  The NIH guidelines of HCV do not recommend using it as aconfirm for this reason (there are still recommendations for use in certain situations- pos HCV EIA and Neg HCV RNA)  A qual RNA test is a better choice to confirm.
I believe the Riba is more specific for Hcv than Elisa.  Would you say someone with this result is neg?

Screening test 1.0 score
neg riba
neg pcr qualitative