Hepatitis C Community
Risk of hepatitis C from fisting..?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Risk of hepatitis C from fisting..?

So I fisted my bf without gloves.. I know I'm stupid but it just happened!..
He did bleed a bit....
He is 48 years old....and he doesn't "think" that he has Hep c..but he hasn't been tested
I don't think my hands have any visible cuts and my nails r short.... I did manicure them the same day though.
what is the probability of me contacting it?
I read something about micro cuts on hands that can increase the risk of infection.....
also how long should i wait before testing? this happened less than 24 hours ago..
I'm sorry you experienced an event that causes concern for HCV (Hepatitis C Virus).  FYI this isn't live chat and it may take time for responses. The members in the Hepatitis C Community are mostly people who have been touched by the HCV virus either personally, a friend or loved one of someone who has HCV.  We can not provide medical advice but may be able to offer our non medical suggestions. .

You, also includes your boyfriend or anyone else that has a similar concern.  .

It's best to get the opinion of a medical professional with knowledge of these types of sexual activities and risks.  If you have medical insurance and don't mind discussing it with your provider that is up to you.

If you live near an LGBT center, that may be the best place to start. Hopefully they can provide information and/or refer you to hopefully free or low cost STD's and virus blood testing. You can also check to see if local governmental agencies provide a similar STD's etc testing and advice.

Since you haven't yet mentioned your country hopefully it isn't one that is repressive towards LGBT people. You can also visit related online sites.

Both of you need to become well informed about safe protected sex, recommendations and tests recommended some even periodically depending on your situation. Other viruses, STD's and even bacterial diseases may be involved  

Activities like you describe can also cause temporary or permanent damage to the anal rectum area.    

My guess HCV probably low???   I wish you the best of luck in staying safe.

thank you for the reply!
Sadly i do live in an intolerant country...
Just so you understand HCV is NOT a STD... All one needs to do is a little research to know there is very little if any risk for HCV... Every middle aged adult should be tested for HCV. Good luck.
i was under the impression that the risk increases if there in bleeding..and there was...
worried8769  I am so sorry you live in an intolerant country.

Like can-do-man said HCV in't a STD and the risk is very little if any risk for HCV..Every middle aged adult should be tested for HCV   Male - male anal sex has a very low hcv risk and does increase a bit if also infected with HIV.

Depending on the country, and your partners prior hcv risk the chance he has HCV is probably (just a guess is somewhere between 2 and 15%)  He has to have HCV  Then your risk thru fisting as you described is probably still less than 1%  The risk of HCV with blood splashing on skin with no visible sores or open cut is very low.  That is not exactly the same because while your fist is inside the blood is being pressured toward your skin.  This might slightly increase the chance of HCV if it penetrated via some microscopic entry point to mix with blood but it would still be very low in my opinion.    

If you still have concern since sexual transmission risk for HCV is very
low you could wait about 6 months and get a low cost Hep C antibody test .
Hopefully because the are a lot of other higher risk possibilities you could get one without suspicion of homosexual acts or IV use.  Tattoos, medical procedures, possible salon and other blood to blood contact from uncleaned sharp objects could be reasons especially if experienced years ago before more safe practices were used.  Also blood transfusions that occurred before your country started screening for HCV could be reasons to get a one time test.  Just a suggestion  
     .