Hepatitis C Community
SVR
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

SVR

I got a call from my doctor’s office this morning; they confirm that six months after completion of treatment, I remain HCV RNA negative… SVR!

54 year old Caucasian male
GT-1
Low viral load (~125,000 IU/mL)
Diabetes type 2
Grade 3, stage 3/4 fibrosis

Treated with Pegasys/riba for 56 weeks; slow initial viral response, so increased riba to 1800 mg/day. Relapsed within 30 days post treatment.

Treated again with Peg-Intron (~204 µg/week) and riba (2g/day) for 96 consecutive weeks. I completed treatment July 16, 2008.

I’d like to thank the forum for all the help over the last several years; this would have been a very difficult and confusing journey without this discussion group.

Good luck to everyone here; I hope you all eventually prevail,

Bill
Related Discussions
80 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
96938_tn?1189803458
I've been waiting to hear your news. This is great. Onward!
Blank
288609_tn?1240100356
I am honored to bow before the dragon slayer extraordinaire! I am so happy for you what a wonderful hopeful day it is today! I have followed you for over a year and you have been so kind, helpful and honest all with a sense of humor. I am in tears right now for many good reasons and I salute you. You give us all hope. Yes we can. Sorry about the sidebar but I wish you all the happiness and robust health for many years to come.
Oh happy day!
Connie
Blank
87972_tn?1322664839
Thanks, FLGuy!
Blank
648439_tn?1225062462
Congratulations - what absolutely fantastic news.  Enjoy your days from now on!
Blank
congratulations you fought very hard wishing all the best you truly show it can be done
Blank
427265_tn?1279053102
FanTAstic news!!! You're an inspiration and a real help to those of us following in your footsteps..... hopefully on the road to SVR.

Big smile here........Congrats! Pam

Blank
Congratulations Bill! A well thought out and well deserved SVR!

Best regards,

Jim
Blank
412873_tn?1329178055
Congratulations,Bill!!!!  That was a hard-earned victory.  

And through it all, you have been here supporting us.....you're a Hepper Hero!!!!

Wishing you the best,

Isobella
Blank
I am absolutely thrilled to hear this great news! Man, you really worked to get here.
You have handled your very difficult struggle with grace and dignity and despite your situation you never hesitated to reach out to help another. I really respect you Bill. And I am so happy for you that I'm sort of in a daze.
Stay well my Friend.
Mike
Blank
Such wonderful news! I'm so happy for you. That was a long road but you got there.

I wish you the best.

MO
Blank
206807_tn?1331939784
Bill, You have been a Great Asset to this forum. Congratulations and Thanks, R. Glass.
Blank
238010_tn?1293989260
Fantastic!!!  I was waiting to hear this.  The Iron Man has prevailed!

Hope you are continuing to feel better post tx.

smaug

Blank
186344_tn?1278268245
Hooray! How good is that! I am so happy for you! I am sitting here smiling at my computer!

Hugs,
Za
Blank
What wonderful news, and so well deserved!  I'm absolutely thrilled for you.  You made my day.  Many thanks Bill, it was rough beyond words but you did it with style and grace.  Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  I'm putting on my dancing shoes and raising a glass to toast your excellent health and long life.  Root beers for the house and let the happy dancing begin!

jd
Blank
Congratulations on finally making it to SVR it has been a long haul so baste in the moment before starting the long forgotten list, you know the one top draw left side, lol

jasper
Blank
548668_tn?1394190822
I'm so thrilled to get this update from you.  You've been a personal inspiration and reminded me not to grumble or feel sorry for myself.

Big congratulations and I hope you're enjoying the relief and mental relaxation;  so incredibly well deserved.
Blank
Congratulations Bill.  You made it and echo what Mike said.  You are a true man of character.  Have a wonderful, healthy life.
Trin
Blank
Well hot damn!!! Congratulations Bill, you have set a standard that many can look up to..
Pro
(don't forget to update the 72 weeker thread..;^))
Blank
276730_tn?1327966546
So SO happy for you ! I wish you all you wish for yourself and more!!!
SVR!! What BEAUTIFUL words.

Congratulations!

Charm27
Blank
388154_tn?1306365291
You came , you saw, you conquered !!!!

You came here to forum, you saw our pain difficultis and heartache, allthough you had  your own.
And youvé conqured many a heart.

I´m touched deep inside of this awesome news.
Love you man.

Jan.

Blank
I also echo what MikeS said, you are a kind man, a gentleman!  

Now heres a WOOOOHOOOOO and a congrats!   So happy for you, so very happy for you!  Smiling huge here!

Deb
Blank
way to go bill. you will always be in my heart. you are a kind and helpful pioneer. dont steer to far . we love.
Blank
This sure gives all of people new to tx,  the faith and courage to believe and know were doing the right thing , no matter how sick we may become.  In the end to SVR like you did, will make all the hardships we endure so very worth it.

Congratulations!
Blank
547836_tn?1302836432
That's WONDERFUL news Bill!  Congrats and best wishes to you and yours!
Blank
338734_tn?1377163768
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Thanks for leading the way, and doing it right, too. Best health and luck to you.

Brent
Blank
I am at a loss for words to say how happy I am for you. To know that you will face the rest of your life HCV free must be an indescribable feeling.

I hope you will consider continuing to participate in this board from time to time. Your comments have been so helpful to so many of us.
Blank
619345_tn?1310345021
Way to go Bill!  So happy for you and your family  Best of Luck to you  Have Fun! Great Success story and an inspiration to me and all of us older sufferers and relapsers  that SVR can be attained
Baja
Blank
This is such great news and I am so very happy for you!  You earned SVR, now enjoy your life!!!  :)
Blank
CONGRATS !!! another virus dead & buried. go enjoy your life you deserve it.
Blank
Ya did it! Your knowledge, support and encouragment over these last years for so many has been a source of hope for all!

Congrats Mr. Bill!
Blank
I know it must of been a long hard road for you. Congrats!! I hope to one day be able to report victory also. I start Pegasys on Friday.
Blank
What a heroic effort. You deserve every success.

All the best.

Blank
732047_tn?1236014044
Congratulations Bill! My hats off to you sir. Your struggle and victory will be an inspiration for me through my inevitable treatment. Whatever form it may take. As I'm sure it is to countless others on this board.

Fathom
Blank
87972_tn?1322664839

Wow! (taking a bow) Thank you all very much! I wish everyone here much luck with their own treatment, and the ones that have completed their journey—best to you as well. Keep up the battle; this shows the medicine is more than just smoke and mirrors… at least for me, anyway. Pretty cool stuff, huh :o)?

Good luck to you all—

Bill
Blank
way to go!!!  I am so happy for you!
Blank
9648_tn?1290094807
Congrats! This is great news and yes, very inspiring to those of us on the beginning of the journey.
Blank
412832_tn?1219078945
Good god, I can't even fathom what you've gone through!  There's you on one end of the spectrum and there's me on the other :-)  Thankfully I found this forum and met you as one of my first friends on it.  I'll be forever grateful for all of your kindness, knowledge and patience as I was struggling through my tx.  You're a great friend!  Oh yeah, congratulations on getting this most wonderful news -- SVR!  You did it!!  And I thought I was stubborn ;-)  Your pal, pK
Blank
498948_tn?1253059441
Congratulations, you've certainly earned your SVR !!

May you live a healthy new life.

k
Blank
You must be absolutely, ecstatic...and you should be!  Congratulations, and thankyou for the hope and courage, you've given to the rest of us.
Blank
I'm really pleased to see that you got that SVR that you worked so long and hard for.  I hope that the upcoming year brings you renewed health and joy from a end to an enduro treatment..

I also just wanted to say that you have been a great resource here.  You are a pleasure to read, an informed source of information and a true gentleman.

Raising my virtual cup to you; good health!!

best
willy
Blank
Congratulations! I have always respected and appreciated all your posts. Enjoy your HCV free life! You deserve it!
Blank
So many nice things have been said about you and you deserved them all, congrats guy you must feel on top of the world today.

cando
Blank
547181_tn?1255150106
Congrats Bill. You are really a hero and admire your brave efforts
Blank
691935_tn?1282008141
Congrats - great news you you and us as well -- will keep the rest of us thinking positive!
Blank
408795_tn?1324939275
Glad to hear it, congratulations?   good luck with your new life ahead, and God Bless
Blank
Totally bitchin'. Wow, failed after extended treatment then went high dose. Dude, you earned it.

Jeff
Facta non Verba
Blank
You are one of the few people on this forum in whom I took an ongoing interest and who I really really wanted to succeed.
You may (seriously) have ingested more ribaviirin than any man alive.
Best wishes for the future.
Blank
476246_tn?1310999221
Wow!!!! I am so so happy for you! Your news warms my heart and I even got a tear of joy in my eyes and definitely a big smile on my face. You have always been so helpful and compassionate, thank you! You deserve this result so so bad!!! God bless!

Congratulations!

Marcia
Blank
439539_tn?1233469415
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!
Words of encouragement are the Bomb ! You Did It ! SVR ! Awesome !
Such sweet sweet words. You deserve it ALL ! Enjoy every second of every day, everyday.Your FREE ! You Rock on Bill ! Beautiful Words ! Sending a BIG hug.
Tammy
Blank
683664_tn?1330969924
I am really inspired by your story of determination, and your success!!  Congratulations!  Wishing you a wonderful new year, SVR!!!!!!

Lapis
Blank
626749_tn?1256519302
Congrats !!!

Awesome news

apache
Blank
320078_tn?1278348320
Wonderful news!!! Congrats!!!
It couldnt happen to a nicer person!!!

peace
rita
Blank
let's see, 96 wks * 7 * 10 rbv pills per day (assuming std 200mg/pill) = 6720 pills. Lined up end to end and figure 1.2cm per pill gives a bit over  264 feet. Not quite to the moon and back but maybe enough to go around the house...

reminds me of Thomas Friedman's column today :  at the inauguration yesterday he passed an African-American street vendor with a hand-stenciled T shirt that summarized the moment " MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" !

Way to go guy, and IMHO it's this board that owes you a big thanks, both for your example of grace under hardship and for your continuing support
Blank
179856_tn?1333550962
From one low starting VL to another - I know how hard it was to get to UND and SVR and couldn't be happier for you Bill.

Someday they should do a study on why some of us that start low have such a damn hard time getting there...it does seem to me that for us extending truly is the best answer we have right now (in addition to piling on the meds).  It's a tough road but you did it - and now the prize is yours for all that hard work.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blank
That's so great to hear, Bill! I'm truly happy for you.

Joe
Blank
476246_tn?1310999221
I just reread your initial post. You were taking ginormous amounts of meds. Wow, and for that long.... Bill, you are truly a tx hero, amazing!
Blank
So happy for you.  I can't imagine how I will feel if this ever happens for Joe.  I hope your liver makes an amazing recovery . This couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  You have been supportive to so many.
Blessings,
Ev
Blank
87972_tn?1322664839
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the good words. I’ve been busy the last few days, and haven’t had time to say hello to everyone personally. Your words really mean a lot to me though; I just wanted you all to know. Take care one and all, and the best to all~

Bill
Blank
439539_tn?1233469415
I just read all of these words to you.What goes around - comes around.You have helped so much with this forum and people.I remember someone said, your like a father figure.These Beautiful words have come back to YOU.The days after you went to the doctors and didn't hear good news about yourself you would get on here and ALWAYs help someone else.Always ! I myself admire you.You are a very special person.I can count on two hands how many people that I have met like that.You think of everyone else before yourself.I truely admire that.You deserve every WORD ! Another Big hug ! You Rock On !Don't leave.You have to come in once in a while and give US whom needs you guidance.The one's that love you, huggs !Take a long break and enjoy your NEW You ! Wow, I can't get over this SVR !I'm going to go get ice cream and get a blankie, turn on a movie and smile the rest of the evening.I can just feel the warmth of your news here in Missouri !
Tammy
Blank
694630_tn?1227714275
Congratulation!!! and very happy for you Bill....You have been great help to us. And wish you all the best ...and happy healthy life..

Aung
Blank
Good on ya!
Blank
92903_tn?1309908311
Bill left out the part about how he worked his @ss off between (and during) treatment to loose weight and get in shape for better odds. And a lot or research and eductation on insulin, and riba metabolizing, and who knows what....

This SVR is not by chance....

Congrats Bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blank
634590_tn?1293777693
Congratulation and hates off to your for treating yourself 2 times with great courage.
Blank
233616_tn?1312790796
wow, I had no idea you were such a trooper.....beat that horse good and dead didn't ya!!!

congrats for sure Bill.  were you type 1 a or 1 b?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Also 1800 and then 2g riba?? Yuk!!   Are your kidneys still ok???

Remember the Lindahl study showed high SVR at those doses but lost 20% to kidney failures.  Did they keep a close monitor on that the whole time?  I've got a kidney infection right now in week 68....so I'm doubly curious.

thanks

mb
Blank
223152_tn?1346981971
Better late than never (tha's me, finding this thread, not you clearing).

Great news my friend.  Goofydad forgot the part about studying Spanish at your local college on tx.  Did you ever get those math classes started?  Talk about brain power added to will power.  Willing talked about the pills lined end to end.  I think about all those needle pricks.  Hard to find a good spot after 96 weeks.

Goes to show how one can clear if he has a medical team to stand beside him and see thim through.

Now forward to bigger and better things.
Be well, my friend
bean
Blank
170041_tn?1219708119
Your a good man Bill,the real deal.Im really happy for you.
Blank
220090_tn?1379170787
Wonderful news.  Best of luck to you.

Eric
Blank
154668_tn?1290119595
Wow, persistence does pay.  
Blank
Hi Bill!
Wow! Congrats!! !I just got my SVR news yesterday too!!!! It must be in the air! Woo hoo! Are you making boots out of your dragon too? LOL I am SO happy for you! ~Melinda
Blank
561705_tn?1234549759

You must be floating on air.......

Congratulations and a GIANT Thank You for all of the help and support you have provided on this forum.

You are a true inspiration.

Shu
Blank
80575_tn?1207135964
Welcome to the SVR club!  

Well fought, go celebrate and get your life back to normal.

Blank
163305_tn?1333672171
Great news!  Warmest congratulations.                      OH
Blank
149675_tn?1257636570
I saidit once and I'lll say it again. you are my hero, anyone that can do 96 weeks of this treatment is THE MAN! You deserve this and I wish you well in the future and I am glad you have slain the beast!
Blank
559277_tn?1330622339
Congratulations!  I'm in awe of anyone who can do this for 48 weeks. Those of you who go way beyond -- well I have no words to describe how you make me feel. I get a lump in my throat and a burning in my eyes just thinking about the stuff you guys are made of. I'm grateful to have you here.
Blank
All of the above!!!! I 'm so happy for you I'm ball'in my eyes out.
Your kindness and determination have been inspirational to all.
Wishing you a very loooong and happy life.
Hopeful51
Blank
I want to echo willing's words ..

"Way to go guy, and IMHO it's this board that owes you a big thanks, both for your example of grace under hardship and for your continuing support "

Congratulations on your SVR, Bill.  You are a gentleman warrior and dragonslayer of the first order and my hat is off to you.  Thanks for bringing your humour, insight and knowledge to this forum.  You did this with a rare dignity and grace, Bill.  You have my utmost respect and my heartfelt thanks for all your support.

I wish you many good years ahead.  You richly deserve them.

Trish
Blank
745313_tn?1323145898
Congratulations!
Blank
579125_tn?1251579865
Congratulations! I don't post much but when you speak on a topic I read.

I have valued from your research, input and insight.
Blank
87972_tn?1322664839
Hi everyone,

I’m astonished by the response I’ve received in here regarding my post. I’d like to give thanks once again; you all have given me so much support over the years. I’ve been out of state visiting with friends for a bit, and have been unplugged from the online world for a while. I hope every body is doing well, and are enjoying life as best as possible, given your individual circumstances. I intend to stay in touch with the forum, and comment now and then.

I forgot to mention that I managed tolerate the meds fairly well; this was the primary reason I was able to extend treatment as long as I did; if I had gotten as sick as some, I’d never been able to endure treatment nearly as well.

Thanks for all the good wishes--

Bill
Blank
190885_tn?1333029491
that is good news...after all you've been through...you've help out a lot of folks here ...i'm still wating for the new tx..maybe 2 more years...thanks ...billy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...