Hepatitis C Community
Safe, Liver-Friendly Antidepressant

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Safe, Liver-Friendly Antidepressant

I have HEP C & currently take 20mg. of Paxil (for several years) and find that it's no longer working very well /not working at all. It's also not great for the liver. I need to be on an antidepressant - but one that's safer than Paxil, if such a drug exists. Every search I've performed leads to long, convoluted stories. I just need an answer or suggestions. Not SAM-e. Is anyone taking an  antidepressant that's easy(ier) on the liver? Any info. would be a great help.
Thanks,
Robbie
Robbie, the majority of us who are on anti-depressants are on SSRI's which is the same class as Paxil. They are the safest for liver patients apparently. If paxil is no longer working for you I'm sure your doc can find one that will. When celexa stopped working for me I tried Effexor and I really love it. I've had not one problem with it.
Avatar n tn
try a nice sativa
I am using Lexapro, w/o any problems and have heard that this is one of the "better" antidepressants.  You might want to look into it.
Good Luck
It's probably just time for your doctor to adjust your prescription up a bit.  I started on 10mg then went to 20mg myself when I went on treatment.  Then I went off it for a while and tried to go back on straight to 20 and holy God I was wrecked!  It's amazing how your body does get tolerant to medications because I sure wasn't any longer!

Paxill worked fine for me - did you ask your doctor what he thinks?
I started on Lithium, diag. as Manic Depressive.  I think it was the wrong diag. couldn't handle the Lithium.  Doc. put me on 1 mg of risperidone/day, still to much for me so now I'm on .5 rispiridone/day with some clonazapem when I have insommnia.

Tx. is finished now Doc. will wean me off rispiridone .25 mg/day.  Haven't made the change yet.  Looking forward to being off everything.

Good Luck - Lynne
I take 3/ 90 mg effexor and 3/ 1 mg ativan a day. Works for me.I also take ambein at night for sleep
Dee1956 Meegy has 75 days, so proud... Comment
21 mins ago
hepcandme uploaded new photos
sue4hula SVR52 8/6/2016 CURED! Comment
Track your weight over time