Aa
A
A
Close
Safe, Liver-Friendly Antidepressant
I have HEP C & currently take 20mg. of Paxil (for several years) and find that it's no longer working very well /not working at all. It's also not great for the liver. I need to be on an antidepressant - but one that's safer than Paxil, if such a drug exists. Every search I've performed leads to long, convoluted stories. I just need an answer or suggestions. Not SAM-e. Is anyone taking an  antidepressant that's easy(ier) on the liver? Any info. would be a great help.
Thanks,
Robbie
Cancel
6 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Robbie, the majority of us who are on anti-depressants are on SSRI's which is the same class as Paxil. They are the safest for liver patients apparently. If paxil is no longer working for you I'm sure your doc can find one that will. When celexa stopped working for me I tried Effexor and I really love it. I've had not one problem with it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
try a nice sativa
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
374652 tn?1311302831
Hi,
I am using Lexapro, w/o any problems and have heard that this is one of the "better" antidepressants.  You might want to look into it.
Good Luck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
179856 tn?1333550962
It's probably just time for your doctor to adjust your prescription up a bit.  I started on 10mg then went to 20mg myself when I went on treatment.  Then I went off it for a while and tried to go back on straight to 20 and holy God I was wrecked!  It's amazing how your body does get tolerant to medications because I sure wasn't any longer!

Paxill worked fine for me - did you ask your doctor what he thinks?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I started on Lithium, diag. as Manic Depressive.  I think it was the wrong diag. couldn't handle the Lithium.  Doc. put me on 1 mg of risperidone/day, still to much for me so now I'm on .5 rispiridone/day with some clonazapem when I have insommnia.

Tx. is finished now Doc. will wean me off rispiridone .25 mg/day.  Haven't made the change yet.  Looking forward to being off everything.

Good Luck - Lynne
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I take 3/ 90 mg effexor and 3/ 1 mg ativan a day. Works for me.I also take ambein at night for sleep
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
406584 tn?1399591666
Blank
10356 commented on Dee1956's status
3 hrs ago
317787 tn?1473362051
Blank