Hepatitis C Community
Saliva very acidic/ tongue and mouth burns

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I am taking interferron shot once and week and the riba pills 2x a day.  I have taken my 8th shot.  Almost right away I began to have what felt like a chemical burn in my mouth, especially more so around 4:00 p.m. every day.  My tongue and inner cheeks developed "ulcers".  Was prescribed "slurry" to swish and swallow with, which has helped a little.  Anyone have another other home-remedy type suggestions to neutralize the acid in my mouth so that I can eat without unrelenting pain?
Unfortunately, I'm on week 60 and have had them the whole time.  Very VERY painful aren't they?

I haven't been able to find any perm solution. The doc told me mix Benadryl with Maalox and put that on but - it didn't really help. Sometimes the get so infected (being in the mouth) I've had to put peroxide on them (OUCH) with a qtip.

I do know that people have had to quit treatment because of this because they've gottn it that bad.

If you do find a cure---please let me know.

Good luck!
any idea what was in the slurry was it called magic mouth wash which has a number of formulations my fav mylanta diphenhydramine lidocaine and either tetracycline (bacterial) or nystatin (fungal) prob would be rx. otc vance (sp)(carbamperoxide) might be wouth a try
I use the magic mouthwash crsph  describes above and it works pretty good. Sometimes it is so hard to eat I have to stick to smoothies and protein drinks until it calms down some.
I hope yours calm down, it's a real pain to have your mouth so sensitive you can't eat and even talking can be difficult at times. I swish that mouthwash on them every couple of hours and it works to reduce the sores and the painful tongue.
Hope you get some relief soon.
Perhaps just some kind of sugar-free losange might help.
When I went through Tx, I was warned to keep my teeth extra clean because Tx tends to dry out the mouth and this can make bacteria grow faster, especially at night when the mouth tends to dry out more. Not that bacteria don't like water as they do, but saliva has some germ fighting properties that are no longer present wth a dry mouth.