Hepatitis C Community
Second Attempt Failure

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Second Attempt Failure

Not a question just a little news on what one my expect.
This is my second attempt with treatment.  First was in 2007 was  Riba/pegysys and then recently (9/2011) the triple with incivik added for the first 12 weeks.  It was hell and I don't recommend this unless you have support friends to help you with even daily functioning. After the first month I was undetectable on a test that measured by 7500. My Dr said the same as he did the first time treatment did not take....there will be a new drug coming out in a few years.  I'm geno1a stage 3 and after going through this last treatment I may just remain off any future drug and continue to enjoy my life (age 56).  I know this new treatment is not working for many people, even in my support group, but I hope you choose the best way based on your type and stage and your outside sources for help.  
Sry to hear ur news. But I'm glad you have good enough health to keep going. I'm guessing ur on a low sodium diet. No varices? You have a great attitude n I wish u the best! I'm 54 n tx for 48 weeks. So far so good. G4/s4
How long did you treat w triple before you found out?
Thanks for sharing ur experience. Karen :)
I am so sorry to hear the news.  Thanks you for sharing.  It's important to hear.  I hope that a simple and safe solution for curing is found one day.  The current ones are certainly tough.  Live healthy and happy.
Wow, I am sorry the second time around did not work for you. I'm a Geno 1a and treated in 2008 with no success. I am starting triple therapy tomorrow and while I am not feeling optimistic, I still feel like I need to at least try to clear the virus while I am in good health.
I'm so sorry to hear your news.  My partner is a 1a relapser, did treatment back in 98 or 99 I think when Rib was first approved, had a pretty hard time with it and has not tried to re treat as of yet.

he is at stage 3 right now, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, eats well, tries to take care of himself, think he was at stage 2 about 10 yrs ago.  He will probably try to wait for something less harsh to come along.

I am a 2b and start Peg/Rib on the 20th, keeping my fingers crossed, but I know it isn't 100%...

Hoping something comes along soon that more people can tolerate and is effective, expecially for the type 1's...

sending positive thoughts your way on this tough day...
I am sorry to hear about your second failed attempt. I am a little confused by your post when you say you were UND. at week 4 by a test that measured 7500?
Did you mean you  clear of the virus at week 4 then had a breakthrough or that you at week 4 post treatment had DET. virus ?
I apologize if your post was clear and it was just my  misinterpretation your explanation.

Your doctor is correct when he mentions that there will be  different treatmenst in the future and hopfully you would consider trying again .

Look after yourself and good luck...
Will
Did you have a viral breakthrough? I started triple with inc 07/11 and still dont know the outcome. I dont have a vl test until March 2012.
Sorry for your bad news. I hope we dont start seeing a lot of this.
Treatment failures are always unspeakable disappointment, but at least in your heart and mind you know you tried your best and can be at peace with that.  

Breakthroughs in hcv understanding are continuing at a tremendous pace, and I do believe that your doctor is correct that it will not be too long before even better treatments become available... in the meantime, enjoying life is the best any of us can do... take care of yourself and your liver the best you can... we all hope and pray for better cures in the future.  Best wishes. ~eureka
" I may just remain off any future drug and continue to enjoy my life (age 56)."
Jabulani: I am 63 - will be 64 this August.  I'm counting the halfs because at 65 or 66 I hope to retire. (65 gives us medicaid!).  (I am geno 1 stage 2/3). Have hepC 37 years.  

Your experience reaffirms my decision to wait until I can retire - (1) to wait for better drugs and (2) to start tx I would have to resign from my job which would leave me w/o health insurance.  Going on disability not an option - financially.  And if the tx does not work (as has happened to you for the second time)- one is left with the virus, w/o a job and no insurance and post tx sx which in some post I've read can be permanent.  What a dilemma.

Since I joined the forum I stopped drinking socially as per everyone's advice and now I am keenly aware of what we have in our bodies.  Like you now - I want to continue to enjoy everyday we are "healthy" and hope one day we can erradicate our virus.  I am hopeful, more so with the support of this forum. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Millie
nyc
You can't give up!!!! I am on my 8th treatment doing triple with VIC, I got a call this AM telling me I was undetected. Talk about euphoria. I would do it all over again in a minute. I am stubborn and I stuck with it as bad as the sx are on this treatment. I will be on treatment until 7/7/12
Terribly sorry to hear of your troubling experience with tx!  I realize you don't want to try tx again and that's totally up to you but I wonder how it went for you as far as tx goes.  Were you ever UND and you had a viral breakthrough or what exactly happened?  Did you look into and follow your blood tests or did you just let your doctor keep track of everything for you?  On this forum we don't hear of too many failures to tx so if you're able to talk about it that would be appreciated and maybe we will all learn something new.
i know what you mean by a tough tx...but seems to me lots of folks are getting through it and clearing....i'm not sure if i cleared or not yet but as bad as it was i'm glad i gave it a shot....i think for folks that feel they can wait thats fine...i think there will be loads of new info on triple tx soon .. so many have been on it....my sx were so bad i did need some help...lucky to have a great twin sister and girlfriend....they spoiled me so much... still getting help almost two months off tx even though i really don't need it...i'm a spoiled brat for the first time in my life! ... loving it....also feeling great...i'm working hard on taking care of lizards ..snakes...birds in and out....rabbits...feeding  crows and ravens..dogs..and more...soon to go back to work... keeping an eye on the new tx without interferon if i relapse.....billy
I am so sorry the treatment failed you. I have been reading about all the avenues researchers are considering lately and I feel sure they will find something soon that will crack the virus, even for those who, for one reason or another don't clear. Don't give up.
Sorry to hear this,but why didn't you finish the full 24 weeks?My dr told me the exact same thing after 6 wks on 3 drug tx.He told me I was UND and I can look forward to only 12 weeks of Incivek and 24 weeks of Pegesis and Ribavirin.I am 63 and I want to be done with hep.I did 48 weeks of 2 drug,failed and started new tx 24 weeks later.This is not good,but thank you for reporting it.I will not give up.I read on another post that the FDA is reviewing a new 12 week program to come out in March but it has no name yet.If this is true I may consider it while I'm on my new tx.But don't give up.You're still younger than me.
Sorry treatment was so rough on you.

The new meds that people are so excited about, are all oral interferon free.
Many in trials are reporting few side effects.

Don't give up on being hep C free!
Just be patient and enjoy  life!
I'm finally going through my messages and I want to thank you for your care and concern.  I was undetected for a while but in the 3rd month on all 3 drugs the Dr. had a feeling it wasn't working.  He had more blood work done that would take the undetectable number from <43 to <10.  The results showed my level was back up into the thousands! Bless my Dr.  He continued for another month but my body could not handle this treatment.  Glad I tried as I would have always wondered.....