Hepatitis C Community
Sex and Hep C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Sex and Hep C

Just curious about the possibility of getting Hep C from my partner while having sex, oral, or just kissing? What are the risks, and what precautions if any should we be taking. Is abstinence the answer for the time being? He has 3 months left on his treatment. I'm a little concerned for my own health. I hope it doesn't sound selfish on my part.
Blood to blood transmission is the only way you can get HCV - the chances of getting it via sex are barely none.  However you should practice safe"R" sex practice (not during menstruation, no anal sex) things like that where you could have blood to blood contact.

For monogamous couples the chance of getting it that way are almost impossible.

However do make sure not to share razors or toothbrushes or things like that.  You can't always SEE the microdroplets of blood that could be on those things.

You are not selfish just careful. My wife and I have been together from 1974 married in 1977. We also have 2 kids. I think I got hep c before we met but was not aware of it. I am happy to say my wife and kids are fine no hep c. Over 30 years. If your partner is on tx and undetectable the odds should be 0.

Good luck
Rock
SEX is the best RX for SX's....!!!!!! so, please keep pleasuring your trx'ing mate..
I have been with my husband for 2 years, he has Hep C geno type 1a, we have ALOT of sex with no condoms and I tested negative.  So keep it in the back of your mind, but don't let it ruin your sex life!!!!
Hi there;

No, you
Hey you'll never know until you ask...And it would be in the back of your mind and you probably won't enjoy it as much......Relax.....It's a low percentage that you could contract it....Some say 3% - 5%, some say 5 -10%.........I've been with my wife for over 3 years and knock it out more then avergae a week,WITHOUT Protection........And she's clean......
     There has to be Blood transfer...Hep C is NOT AND STD..........