Hepatitis C Community
Shared a straw

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Shared a straw

I recently shared a straw to snort cocaine three times.  I do not know the status of the two others that shared the straw.  I did not notice any blood on the straw (rolled up dollar bill).  Can anyone let me know of my level of risk from this stupid decision?

Thanks.
extremely low
The risk is low but possible. I have had Hepc for about 30 years. I am married and after 25 years of sharing razors, occasional toothbrush, bumping uglies, etc., my wife is Hepc free. Using a dollar bill to do a bump is risky period. It is possible to catch Hep. A,B, or C from it. God only knows where all of the nasty hands have been that it passed through before you did your line. Again the risk is low but possible. Next time you have blood work done, have them test you hepatitis. No need to rush unless you just have to know sooner. Hepatitis C takes awhile before any damage is done. Next time think about what you are doing. In my opinion, coke is over rated any way.
OMG @ bumping uglies....that is so funny, never heard that before lmao
Honestly, I wouldn't give it another thought but it's always a good idea to get tested for HCV and HIV, if for nothing more than easing your mind. Same with many other tests that a person should have on occassion.
Thank you for your response - I agree with you, it was not a very smart thing to do and I don't want to get in the habit of doing this any more, not worth it.  I will get tested to be sure as I am a fairly heavy drinker.  How long should I wait, is 4 weeks too soon?
The window period for Hcv is similar to Hiv.  The closer you are to testing at three months, the more accurate the antibody test will be.  Dr McGovern, at 'The Body', says 6 to 12 weeks is normal.

A pcr qualitative test, which checks for the virus, not antibody, can be used after 2 weeks but is VERY expensive, $400 or so.

I have a feeling you will be neg.  remember the worry and anxiety of this the next time you are faced with temptation.