Hepatitis C Community
Sharing drinking glasses

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Sharing drinking glasses

On Saturday I asked for a sip from a Coke can of my sister's boyfriend, and he said he couldn't share his drink with me because he had hepatitis.  ??

I was under the impression that hepatitis is a blood- and semen-borne disease, so this took me somewhat by surprise. (I never asked him anything about it because it didn't seem appropriate at the time, so I let it go.)

I don't even know if this guy has hepatitis C, it could be another type (he was married to a drug addict, although I don't know if she used needles.)

Anyway, is he correct that he can't be sharing due to saliva?

Thanks for any info! Sorry if this is the wrong forum. :o(
If it is hep A he is correct. If it is hep B or C he is not correct. Hep C is blood-to-blood only. Hep B is blood contact and it is also found in sexual body fluids.
Great! Thanks for the info. :o)
MY x son-in law has C is it good for my grandaughter to be around him if yes what should we tell her about this she is 10 yrs old
Your granddaughter will be fine being around him.  She can only get Hepatitis C if she has blood contact with him.  So she shouldn't use his toothbrush or razor (not that she would anyway), but she can hug and kiss him and eat off his plate.  Don't worry about her.

As for what to tell her, I would think it's up to you.