Hepatitis C Community
Should you continue working while on inciveck triple therapy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Im beginning triple therapy with inciveck soon. I have lots of sick time and FMLA . I have a high stress high pressure job. Im not worried about losing my job and after reading the posts I'm thinking of staying out of work for at least the beginning of treatment. Is this advisable or possible. How many people on this therapy stay home and focus on following the regimen precisely for the best possible outcome. I like everyone else here really want this to work and become SVR. Any comments appreciated
Are you in a flexible position to make this decision when you decide it's necessary to stop working? Also, working half days or a few days per week might also be an option to consider if needed.  Some have very minor side effects and can handle trt well, while others struggle from the start.  There's no way to predict what you will experience.  Physically demand and high stress jobs do put additional strains on handling trt.  

I'm on SOC, but will say that I'm continuing to work and highly prefer that to staying home.  Some weeks can be highly demanding and very stressful, but I've gotten through it ok.    Welcome and good luck getting started.

What do drs recommend
I just finished 12 weeks of incevik and worked the whole time, I couldn't imagine sitting home and doing nothing that whole time. Working helped keep me sane and also helps the time pass. I would wait until you see how you feel after you start, I really didn't feel bad until about week 7 or 8 when the anemia kicked in. Butni never missed a day of work. Good luck. Joe
maybe you could take some days as needed.    I had a hard time working and my clients knew I wasnt feeling well but didnt know what was really wrong.  I really stumbled around.  If you have to deal with the public all the time making deals and so on that might be kinda hard if you have a lot of sides.   But if you are dealing with paperwork and deadlines maybe you could work at home some.  You never know, you may handle it all real well.  Ive never delt with any medical treatment that effected people so differently yet very much the same.
When I was working I had a very high stress and  physically demanding position. I really don't think I could have continued working. I am retired now. I am also 65, and that may make a difference too.

I am not having severe side effects. I have some side effects, but not severe. However, I am totally wiped out, especially for a couple of days after the injection. I also feel like I have a mild case of the flu for a couple of days after the injection. The rest of the time I just don't feel great and have no energy. Also, when I first started the triple meds, I was rather spaced out the first few days, weak and a bit light headed. Those feelings (spaciness, light headed) are gone. But I still have no energy and feel extremely fatigued a lot of the time.

The other thing is, I find it takes a lot of effort to be sure I am eating a high fat meal and taking my pills exactly every 8 hours. I remeber a co-worker who had AIDS and he was working but he had a watch with an alarm and it went off every time he had to take his antivirals. So a person could get a watch like that. But you also have to get the fat in, 20 grams before every pill.

I agree that it is an individual decision depending on your circumstances and how you feel. Also depends on if you can manage to be sure you get the fat meal and the pills in on time and still work.

I know many on this forum are working and treating. Maybe I am just too old for that, LOL.
What do drs recommend ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can only relay what my doctor advised me.  I'd think most doctors would recommend to do what you feel up to.  Some do very well on trt and can push through the work day without any problems.  There's no easy answer since people's response to trt varies so much.  Also, since you are reading comments on a support forum, understand that many that don't have any problems often don't bother posting.  Just something to be aware of.  

Its a smart idea to have a plan in place if you begin having problems so you can take off the time from work as needed.  Don't worry too much.
I agree with working if you are able too.   I know that my GI, highly recommends staying as active as you possibly can too !    
With saying that alot of us are not able to do so and it all basically on the individual.   If you are Young, and active and in good physical condition, I wouldn't see why working may not be an option.  And if you have flexibility in your job with sick time and FMLA as an option also, You just may be able to swing it.   Side effects hit everyone differently.     Personally, I couldnt do it, but I am almost 50 years old with other physical problems and I dont handle stress well at all.   Stress can take a big toll on your body especially if you are trying to heal it.  So Rest is important too !  
Good Luck with any decision you make, but I just bet your one of those go getters who can swing this.   :)