Hepatitis C Community
Side Affects

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Side Affects

I wont be starting treatment til the fall and reading everyones post is really helpful, but in the same sense its all very scary to me.  How many people start their treatment and just arent able to finish.  Its alot to ask of our mind and body.  I sure hope and going to work like heck to complete it, but right now if someone asked me I couldnt tell you with 100% assurance that I would.  I just hope with all my support that I will be able to.  
Stop reading the side effect posts you'll worry yourself to pieces.  Just enjoy life and then take treatment one day at a time. It's all you can do.
I had to watch how much I read on this forum.  Once I started to freak out I had to log out.   When I had a question I would come back.  This treatment is really really hard but a lot of us are doing it.  You can do it too.  I just finished and I would do it all again. (that's just me)  It's incredible that there's treatment for this horrible virus.  I'm excited to be free of it at last.  Come back in the Fall and we can help you through it.
Remember this forum is only a small segment of all the people who are
treating.

Generally, people who do not have probems don't post.

Just take smal bites of the Forum and know they'll be here if you
need support.

Not everyone who treats has all the problems you see here.

Best Wishes

Reva
Hi Debbie, this is why I try to keep some of my Posts soical, and positive.
Just like someone said up above, "One Day at a Time" is how I take this Treament. I cant remember what kind of work you said you did, but most of my side effects end up going awy after about half an hour, which helps, for working.
Hi Debbie, I was reading through your past posts and I couldn't find whether or not you had a biopsy?  If so what was the Grade/Stage?  Also your GT?  I know it sounds like in your posts you are having some anxiety issues over tx.  I can't tell from your profile/posts on whether or not you may have the opportunity to wait for non-INF tx down the road.  Since you were approved to start tx in the fall I assume (don't say it gang) your Drs thought there was a need to tx sooner rather than later.  You might want to talk to your Dr. about putting you on anxiety meds to help calm your fears.  After all of the reading I have done the last 10 months everyone reacts differently.  So think positive and stay positive.  

Have a great day!
Jules
I was on Incevik for 2 1/2 months, then was taken off of it because of the side effects.  I am continuing on with the Pegasus and Ribavirin.  So far I have been able to tolerate these two meds. with little side effects.  I would say that if you can get through the Incevik for the 12 weeks it will be worth it all.  My latest blood work shows that I am viral free.   Best to you and stay positive.  That is the key!  VioletBlonde
I second that comment nygirl7!  10% what happens- 90% attitude!   One day at a time as you say- that works for me!  VioletBlonde
Good sense goes a long way.  Glad to see your positivity paying off.   :)

I can't wait to read your SVR post!!!!!!!!!
I agree 100% with nygirl. Why worry about something that is not even happening? Spend your time on more fun and productive things.

If you want to think about hep C then educate your self about treatment so you will understand better what it is all about.

Enjoy yourself now. It is the only thing that is guaranteed. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow who knows...

Hector
Jules thanks so much for responding as well as everyone else.  Being new I recognize some of the  shorthand and some I dont.  Not sure what GT stands for.  I am calling for my lab results that were last taken to find out what my viral load is.  All I know right now is Genotype 2.  I know thats not much but hopefully I can get a copy soon and will post.  I know I was told that my AST and ALT were low number in October.   Again thanks for your help.
Thanks for the good advice.    I have 10 wonderful grandchildren that I can spend plenty of time  with..
Although my side effects were pretty severe, I have not given up! I am looking at only three more weeks and I will reach end of treatment! Once the Incivek was over, things improved dramatically.

That being said, I have a good friend who started triple therapy eight weeks ago and he has barely had a side effect at all! No rash. No anemia. And still works several days a week. He was UND at four weeks!

For both of us, the goal is to get rid of this virus. Whatever it takes. You do it for yourself.
I forgot to mention that my Doctor said he wasnt going to do a biopsy.
Thanks for posting.  As bad as I have read some of the side affects are and I am not looking forward to them (if I have them) I am ready to get treatment started and over with.  I think alot of it is the waiting.  I found out in Oct 2011 I had Hep C and been trying to get treatment since then.
As a genotype 2 you won't be doing the triple treatment but SOC, or simply, interferon and ribavirin.
Genotype 1 does the triple tx. So, many of the side effects you could be reading about won't apply to the meds you'll be doing.
This isn't to say, it's easy breezy. But two strong meds, have got to be easier than three.

One reason people ask if you've had a biopsy is that the condition of your liver is an important factor, perhaps the most important factor when considering treatment.

If you have no or very little liver damage, I'd suggest you consider waiting. There are currently new all oral medications in clinical trials that have proven to be effective, especially for your genotype, without as many side effects.
You  might consider a clinical trail. These new meds aren't expected to be approved for another few years but exactly when is unknown.

Although I understand the urge to just do it, and get it over with, there have been people who've regretted doing tx, especially when they had no liver damage and were only following a doctor's advice.

Since you won't be beginning until the Fall, now is the time to educate yourself.
OH I am sure what I really need to know if I do need the treatment now or not.  I guess one of my concerns is at this point it took me so many months to get approved for treatment. Since I dont have insurance its the only way I can get treatment. I would love to go back to work fulltime but can only make so much to be elgible for them to cover treatment. My next appointment with doc is july 18 so maybe i will find out more information then.
like many before have said...don't read everything about people's sx.  it'll freak you out.  i know when i was starting i was scared, but all the wonderful people on this forum helped me get thru it.  i did 48 weeks and ended may 25.  it ended up being not quite as bad as i thought it would be.  i still worked and went to cardio classes 3x/weekly.  you can do it.  keep a positive attitude, stay hydrated and keep active if you can.  even just some walking.  don't be a couch potato because you'll feel worse.  best wishes.  belle