Sleeping problems / Zolpidem
Which medical treatment is first choice for sleeping problems?
I heard Zolpidem would be ok, but my doctor is hesitating. Are there any links in the www to convince him? Is Zolpidem ok or are there less harmfull treatments?

drofi
My liver specialist prescribed Ambien, although I know some here use the Ambien CR
zolpidem, is the same as  ambien, i take ambien on occasion,
also there is a drug called ativan that lowers your nerves, and is also used to help fall asleep and has been around for ever, so most docs are familiar with it ....
Thank you, but this is no answer to my question.
It appears as if zolpidem is the same drug as Ambien. Many people treating for HEP C take Ambien--it seems to be the most often prescribed. The biggest difference between Ambien and Ambien CR is that you are not supposed to break the Ambien CR's is half. The CR's are billed as 'controlled release' to make sure you sleep through the night. I was offered both but stuck with the regular Ambien because I could break it in half and make do with 1/2 of a 10 mg pill on most nights. My insurance would only cover 14 pills every 90 days so I had to pay full price most of the time and liked being able to stretch it out. Insomnia, for me, was one of the worst side effects and it made my the fatigue and brain fog I experienced even worse.
I take the Ambien CR and it has helped me GREATLY.   I've ALWAYS had problems falling asleep...and with it I knock right out after about an hour of taking it.

And I don't have any trouble waking up in the morning.
I also take ambien, if I need it. I don't know how bad it is to take on your liver, but I would imagine it can't be bad as so many of us on tx take it. Some of these "rock star hep" docs approve it, it seems.
while i was on tx i took seroquel. i had been taking seroquel to sleep for about 3 yrs. after tx the seroquel was no longer working and i was developing restless leg syndrome. i also heard that people with hep c should not take seroquel. about 6 weeks ago my doctor put me on elavil and i am now taking that. i do not know which sleeping med will help you as we are all different and our body reacts differently. talk with your doctor and maybe try a few different sleeping aids to find out which one is best for you. this is just my opinion, i am not a doctor nor do i know your situation. good luck to you and keep us posted. :)
Well, I just thought that some meds induce CYP450 more than others, as an example, and that therefor some substances should not be used in hepatitis and others would cause less problems, independent from the individual person.
In dialysis patients we have a similar situation and there exist clear classifications.

Hmm, it is quite difficult to explain difficult things in a foreign language, sorry.