Hepatitis C Community
Social Security Disability and SSI

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Social Security Disability and SSI

Has anyone on this board been able to get SSD and SSI with Hep C, diabetes(under control so far with diet, but can cause complications wth Hep C treatment), and advanced stages of cirrhosis. If you have received it, I would appreciate some tips on how to go through the process. I had to quit my job with all this stuff. Had dizzy spells in my class last year and have fainted a few times. Just dont feel well now and the fatigue is already bad and no energy before I even start treatment. dont  have an income now!

Thanks,
TW
I, too, had the difficulties you experienced.  I have already been denied once in July, and now I have gotten an attorney.  My husband said that the stress of dealing with SSI was too much, and that we'd let an attorney fight it out.  Apparently, SSI will deny almost everyone first time around.  Good Luck.
I was denied for SSI only because my husband "makes too much money" He doesn't make enough to afford the co-pays from his insurance, therefore we will have to seperate so that I can get SSI and medicaid for me to be able to get tx. or transplant or both, whichever ends up being the route I have to take.         Joni
SSI denys everyone the first time around. My Hubby is on ssi for Diabetes/Heart/depression. He had to apply 3 times all with denial. On appeal he wrote a letter about the possible incompatance on the person or people reviewing his claim. He was then approved and back paid from Mar 2000. This process takes quite a long time. If you can afford an attorney, i would go that route.

Good luck in this process.

Elizabeth
I  applied for it also. I am waiting for my rejection notice to come shortly.

I did this in July.  I imagine it takes awhile to even hear from them.

Much luck to u..
Lize
Where I live, they have 180 days to come to their first conclusion. Good Luck!
I was told that I would get the original determination in 90-120 days. I filed June 5th so I should be getting something in September---PROBABLY!  Also, I will be hiring an attorney on a contingency basis. They have a ceiling on the amount SSD will allow them to take from your settlement--PROVIDING YOU GET IT! I think it about 25%-35%. I am not to the stage of hiring one. I was told by a friend to just wait until you get turned down the first time before hiring one. One question you want to ask the attorney though is if he has ever won a HEP C case and/or combind with cirrhosis and maybe diabetes like I have. I understand it is not uncommon for g type1 people that had Hep C for 20 years or more to have advanced cirrhosis and maybe even diabetes.

Check out this site for some valuable information about SSI  disability and other available financial assistance programs. I hope this helps you and others in your situation.

http://janis7hepc.com/Ins%20&%20Financial%20Aid.htm
I was approved for ss disability almost a year ago. I was lucky enough to have someone give me good advice. When you are asked if you or able to do house work, yardwork ,etc do not say "maybe at times I can depending on how I feel". You answer it no and tell them why. Even if some of the problems don't happen every day write it down. You want be lying because you don't know when something's going to happen. Get all your medical record together yourself and send to them that save's time. Let all your Dr's know what you are doing.Because they will be contacted.I'm not sure if it makes a differents what State you live in are not.I'm in Florida, I got ss disability but no state assistance like medicaid because my husband worked. If I can think of any thing else I let you know.
I've been trying to get Soc. Sec. for years in Florida. It's ridiculous what you have to go through.  I've been told by numerous people that unless you are practically on your death bed, the only way, in Florida, that you'll get S.S. for Hep. C is if you do get a lawyer.  I've been turned down 3 times and now I'm to the point of a lawyer and waiting on a court date. By the time they get around to making a decision this time, I hope I'm in remission and off of treatment and can, mentally, tell them to kiss my butt!  Sorry for being cranky, but you do get annoyed over bueracracy(spelling??).   Susan400
I do have ruptured (sorry about the spelling) disc in my back. I also have grade 3 stage 4 with compensated cirrhosis. Maybe I was just lucky that I got mine on the first try.I wish everyone the best and If I can help anyone please just ask for my E-Mail.
I have yet to see one patient approved for disability for plain old Hep C (no cirrhosis, claiming fatigue, brain fog, etc.).  I am not saying these are real things..they are just hard to subjectively prove.

Decompensated cirrhosis (on list for liver transplant, ascites, variceal bleeding, in and out of hospital)...this is easy.

Compensated cirrhosis ...this one is going to be hard..and most patients I have seen do not get approved.  From their persepective, you "should be" having minimal symtoms (symptoms) from your Hep and cirrhosis (alas the word compensated).

The diabetes may help your case.

GI.PA
Well, I found an article about getting SSI financial assistance, and about Americans with Diabilities Act, if you feel like you are being discriminated in the work place or other places cuz of your Hep C.  My email addy is:
***@****  and I will send it to you.  I will eventually post it higher up in a day or two.  Thanks all!  OHC67