Hepatitis C Community
Sore mouth / bad taste

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Sore mouth / bad taste

Does anyone have a way to control the soreness of your mouth and horrible taste that I have been getting with the TX ...it's like sores and sensitivity on my tounge , it's making it hard to talk on the phon at work
Is there anything or any product tht you use to keep this side away ?
I rinsed with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, equal parts.  When it got real bad, dr had to prescribed me "swish and swallow" stuff....The bad "taste" didnt go away til about month after treatment.  
I use the biotene dry mouth oral rinse.
Ask your pharmacist for non-prescription magic mouthwash. Not exactly sure what it is but they mix together several ingredients. I never used it but heard others talk about it. Perhaps someone else will clarify exactly what it is.  
Nothing really worked for me at all, I had them bad but have heard from one of the biggest heptologists in the world that he knows people who HAD to quit treatment they were so bad.

The good news is the interferon is causing the problem.  The good part is two weeks after I stopped interferon they went away. Then I ate everything that wasn't nailed down.....it felt so GREAT to taste food correctly again.

Be careful of that part holy moly pounds go on much faster than they come off!  ;)

PS Magic mouthwash you can try.
I've had mouth problems  since I started txing, I'm 14 weeks into this.  I did have thrush at one time and had to get a script from dr., got rid of thrush but definitley have to use Biotene rinse and toothpaste.  It hurt so bad to brush my teeth with regular toothpaste it brought tears to my eyes.  I quit working and the extra rest I'm getting has helped alot with side effects, I'm 58 and feel the older you get the harder it is.
Aso chew gum with xylitol in it.
Thanks for the ideas everyone
My husband had this problem with all 3 of his past treatments.  Basically the medications cause changes to the salivary glands, which cause your mouth to dry.  This can lead to dental problems, oral hygiene problems, fungal infections, tooth decay, change is sense of smell and taste, etc.  Of course drinking lots of water is important anyway while you're on treatment, so be sure that you are drinking lots of water.  My husband use several Biotene products:  mouthwash, toothpaste, lozenges, etc.  They helped.  We tried preparing food with a lot of variety in temperature and spice.  That helped.  He didn't need it, but I have read that some people have received a prescription from their doctor for "magic mouthwash", which apparently helps with the sores and fungal infections of the mouth.  Good luck.
Advocate1955
Here is some information from everyone on this forum regarding dry mouth and bad taste in mouth.  I have this posted in my journals:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/334433/Hep-C-treatment--dry-mouth--metallic-taste-in-mouth
Advocate1955
i used bioetene and a sensetive tooth paste.  and I to had a really bad taste in my mouth and I used peppermint and dentine gum helped lot.
Good luck and dont give up .
bbj2856
Thanks everyone ,turns out I have thrush and my dr put me on Flucozole
I have just been trying to keep my mouth as clean as I can and hope this works  
I realize I won't taste things the same for another 20-43 weeks  
Week 5 for me now
And if that's the price I have to pay to get this **** out of my liver then
That's how it's going to be
:0)
Never give up Never surrender !!!