Hepatitis C Community
Sore under my tongue...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Sore under my tongue...

All week Ive had a sore under my tongue...Its really small and when i brush it become like a tiny crator. It hurts really bad when i eat anything. But especially when i eat Anything with salt. Ive been brushing it, rinsing with Hydrogen Peroxide and Listerine. After rinsing the pain goes down but it flares back up in an hour or so. I cant even fully rest my tongue in my mouth cuz when it touches my teeth or anything in my mouth it stings. How do I get rid of it?
Tags: tonge, sores, mouth
Hi there,

Unfortunately, what you’re describing sounds very familiar. We get ulcers and thrush-like plaques on treatment. You can continue with the rinse, or tell your doctor; he can prescribe a prescription preparation called ‘magic mouthwash, which contains Nystatin, Maloxx, Benadryl, and Lydocaine. This is a swish and swallow medication that can be compounded by your local pharmacy, and nubs on contact, so at least you can get some relief. It’s commonly used by cancer patients, the doc should be aware of it. Pain in the butt; er… mouth, that is; but a lot of us get it.

Be well,

Bill
In addition to what Bill said, some people have luck with Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste.  I usually find Biotene at Walmart but I'm sure other places have it too.
At a point earlier in treatment it was if someone plucked out my tongue, put it into the microwave, cooked it halfway done then stuck it back into my mouth.  It just hurt and burned like hell.  There are those on this forum who have posted mixes to wash out one's mouth with but I've just tried to keep my mouth clean with mouthwash and brushing.
Joey
I had the one under the tongue at the back of throat and thought I had a sore throatuntil others appeared in one cheek area.  Used Biotene mouthwash 3-4 times a day and they started to clear up.. Also had lidocaine swish by prescription to paint on before eating.  Didn't 'swish' in mouth because didn't want to bite myself with a numb tongue.  It takes a few days for them to start to clear.