Hepatitis C Community
Soy Isoflavones and ---------Use for Other Posts
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Soy Isoflavones and ---------Use for Other Posts

Since this board is usually slow on the weekends, I decided to open a new thread to see if anyone (Califia?) is knowledgable about soy isoflavones.  

As many of us know, the decrease in estrogen after menopause is thought to be linked to greater difficulty in clearing the virus.  Since soy contains estrogen-like compounds, would taking soy isoflavone supplements help women with HCV maintain their pre-menopause "edge" in keeping the virus at bay, and/or increasing their liklihood of SVR?

My Google search has yielded some conflicting information about soy isoflavones.  Although many of the documents state that it has liver-protecting affects, a few say just the opposite.

Any insights, thoughts, opinions?

Susan
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank

Susan

I have been taking soy Isoflavones plus several other herbs and amino's for years. Within 4 months of starting soy Isoflavones, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Siliphos,(Milk Thistle photosomes) Vitamin E,C,Beta carotene=(low dose). plus a multi purpose vitamin and Soy Lecithin also Dandelion root. My ALT and AST went from around 30 point above normal to the high normal range. My wife uses soy Isoflavones and  black Koshe for pre menopause.

TonyZ

Blank
I defer to Tony.  I'm a little leery of the soy hype, and don't eat a huge amount of it because of thyroid issues.
Blank
Interesting Article

TonyZ

<a href="http://www.hepatitisneighborhood.com/content/in_the_news/archive_2323.aspx">Insulin Resistance HCV</a>

http://www.hepatitisneighborhood.com/content/in_the_news/archive_2323.aspx
Blank
Does soy isoflavones effect thyroid? I had begun taking a powdered drink called Revival high in soy isoflavones for several months and then was diagnosed with Thyroid and prescribed Armor Thyroid which I've been on for about 3 years now. I always assumed the thyroid was from the hep C?!? Do you have other info about soy and thyroid? Thanks Larry
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank