Hepatitis C Community
Spider veins and cirrhosis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Spider veins and cirrhosis

I see increased spider veins around my ankles this month. never saw em like this b4. is it a sign of
cirrhosis? im 25.
BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY! That should answer all your upsoming questions for the next day or so. Mike
mike, lol!

I was going to skip this and leave it blank, because it is getting ridiculous at this point, and there is a tad of instability in someone who continuosly looks for 'signs' of cirrhosis at every turn but is not willing to go for further testing!
here is my opinion:
toilet bowl ring, spider veins, stomach burning, 'low' platelets, gray hair around the temples, cross eyes, flaky skin, drooling while you sleep, THEY ARE ALL SIGNS OF CIRRHOSIS in my book!
did I leave any symptoms out?
LOL, that was to funny!
Hey, I was gonna say that!!!!!
Maybe your socks are too tight because spider nevi "are most frequently found on the trunk, face and arms".  In case no one has mentioned it before, a biopsy will answer all your questions.
Do you get really tired very late at night?
Yeah I'm tired of answering the same question in different words.

If the moon turns blue on the 5th of November does that mean I have cirhhosis?

Please advise.
LOL,,,Am I taking a shot at a repeated question???  Usually if a person does have cirrhosis, spider veins are on the chest! Also, your feet would be retaining fluids and very swollen!
once inna blue moon-yu guys are my comedy central;who is Bopsy??
Bopsy? One of the twins.
ooohhh i like twins-thks for the mind candy
or, one of the bunnies Flopsy, Bopsy, Cottontail, Peter.
bunnies are nice...do they really lay chocolate eggs?...i followed rabbits around inthe woods here ,collecting little tiny brown eggs,sure don't taste like chocolate
If the moon turns blue, it's likely you're pushing too hard. Try the new fundge pops with added fiber. They're called:

<b>Nogrunts</b>
<i>"We send your fudge packing...fast..."</i>

<hr>

Niceguy - I'm sure everyone here has great compassion for your anxiety. We've all been through the woorying too. But I think what folks are saying, is that at some point you have to call it a day and stop torturing yourself. If yor bloodwork looks good, your liver has not gone to hell in a handcart. If you feel you need a better fix on it's condition, you'll need to persue a biopsy. Take great care.

There was a big concern by some members that this message board might "look Christian" to new people comming on board....DON'T WORRY.. ANYONE READING THESE POSTS TO NICE GUY,... IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A CHRISTIAN SUPPORT FORUM.

What do you think new people looking on for the first time will think when they read the lack of support you've shown to Niceguy by your answers and joking to someone who is obviously stressing.

Amazing how some of you guys see the word of God as being offensive, but you don't see your callous answers as being offensive.

So what, if he asked the same question, so what.. Skip the post if you cannot think of supportive words for him.

Here is a link with a list of some symptoms, but a Biopsy will tell you for sure. I found my brother dead in his apt. on June 14th from cirrhosis, we did not know he had it...found out through the autopsy and death certificate. He did not have spider nevi on his ankles. Just all red/purple blotches all over his body. He had been bleeding in his jeans/pants for some time, and too ill to wash them (thats how I know)He was bleeding out of every cavity in his body probly for a few weeks before I found his body.He only told people not to visit because he was ill and worried it was contagious, he did not tell us how sick he must have been. So PLEASE!!!! IF YOU ARE CONCERNED, HAVE A BIOPSY!!! Don't wait until its too late honey.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/liver_disease/aa67668.asp
Very sorry to hear about your brother. That's sad. Hope you and your family are coping
I have cirrhosis and my spider nevi are on my chest. They appear on chest face and arms mostly. Those viens on your ankles are NOT the same thing. Hope this helps, take care... Debi
I have spider veins but I'm 54. No matter what at 25 if your  having spider veins I'd think you need to seek medical advice.
Just wanted to add, that I have a friend that has that spider nevi on his chest, and he biopsied out at a stage 1...the doc says he smokes, so that might have something to do with it, but it's anyone's guess...only wanted to make the point that this disease can be all over the place, you can have a symptom of a person with advanced disease at a low stage, and vice versa...you have to get a biopsy and sophisticated blood tests to make a good evaluation under a good liver doc's care...

Also would like to make the point...that as long as I've been here, there has been some teasing and joking to ease the stress and make ourselves laugh at ourselves, whatever, so we can put some of these issues in perspective and not take it really seriously, not everybody like that approach, but a lot of people do...of course, sometimes it goes over the line, but not always, it's healthy to put some humor to this situation, or some of us would go nutz...

Not everyone has the same coping mechanisms, and I've always said that you need to have a tough hide to even venture onto internet forums, cause it's soup to nutz in these places, and if it gets too bad, usually there will be some self policing that goes on to help a member out, or to point out an over-the-line situation, I just don't particularly think that this thread went way out of bounds....

Sometimes we need to know that we are way over stressing things and instead of getting annoyed, we can lightly tease, I've gotten teased more then once here and I got a good laugh out of it...besides, sometimes the members just end up joking with each other and it has nothing to do with the original poster and/or his question...we're not all really serious here all the time, though some people are...this is just another way to look at it...

And no, this is not a strictly Christian Hep C forum, unless someone changed up the rules...tolerance should probably be given all around...
I also wanted to extend compassion to any and all members who have lost loved ones to this disease, my younger sister is in ESLD, and I know how emotionally hard this is on everyone in a family....
You have got to be kidding?
Have you not gone down the list of threads and seen the repetition on this same topic? Everyday, every week, the same assumptions, same line of questioning, and every time, the same advice is offered. BIOPSY!!!!!
Why ask if there is only one answer, and you refuse to except or ackwoledge the advice given? The only way to get an definate answer, is to get the necessary tests done, and that would be to undergo a biopsy.. After awhile members begin to wonder if the poster is not just a HOAX!!!!! Just another memeber logging in under another screen name to get a laugh.. This has been done before, and many members believe this guy, to actually be a long time member here's attempt at humor.
And please, unless the forum has undergone severe changes, this is not a Christian forum... Religion is not even an acccepted topic.
Rom 14:10
Well said Snook. Did it occur to you that she (I think Myown is a she) didn't offer any answers to niceguy but chose instead to lecture us and bring religion into it? You'd think a compassionate person, who obviously hasn't read the plethora of niceguy's posts, would have spent some time researching and maybe give him some advice - if she really wanted to help him. Instead she criticizes those who have tried time and time again to give niceguy advice only to have it fall on deaf ears. Curious morality from where I sit. Mike
DON'T WORRY.. ANYONE READING THESE POSTS TO NICE GUY,... IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A CHRISTIAN SUPPORT FORUM.

With all due respect myown, I keep staring at this quote and trying to sort it out. What's the message here? Forgive me for saying it sounds a little pharisaical from where I sit.
i'm sorry to hear that some of you lost your loved ones like that.  i pray to God that a day comes when we can all live without fear and pain.

i think debi is right, those aren't spider veins.  cuz i just saw spider vein pics on the net.  

mine are not red, they are purple, and they don't have a papule in the middle. instead, they are spread around randomly.  they are just very thin purple veins under the skin.  but they are more than they were before.

joking is one thing, most do, it including me, but I think some need to use common sense as to when.

Child24 told him out right that he needs a biopsy, but it wasn't offensive.Some others answered the way you would hope also.

forseegood your point about not everyone has coping mechanisms is true,.. thats my point. How do we know whose who?

These posts directed to a long time poster would have been a different story, but its risky behavior when you don't know someone that long.

"Anything for a laugh" should not be the unspoken motto.

Long time lurkers and those pushed into lurking will never come out of their cacoon if people continue to see people being made fun of for asking questions "they don't approve."

End of subject for me.  

do you know the meaning of ENABLING?  there is nothing right about enabling someones negative behavior. If someone chooses to ignore the dozens of suggestions in each of his 2-3 wkly threads, and seeks instead to engage in a guessing games with other layfolks, expecting a diagnosis from the rash of 'symptoms' he discovers every day, it is not helping him that we continuosly enable this guessing rather than insisting that he go for further testing.
In case you missed it, there have been at least 5-8 threads this month alone, asking us to diagnose his cirrhosis, because he is not going to do a biopsy due to what his dad told him.  That is a nutshell summary, in case you did not read it, or forgot it.
You can choose to judge our responses, or you can continue enabling him.
btw, thanks for pointing out that this is not a christian support group, I was beginning to doubt it.
I am so sorry to read about your sister. I to have seen someone die of LF and it is not pretty, I hope she gets a new liver if needed. Pam
thanks to all who gave me good wishes re my little sister (she's 50 but I guess she's still my little sister) anyway, it is what it is right? One thing I've learned during her saga, and my own, that we have little control over other people, places and things... I just wish the best for her, and considering that she went through liver and kidney failure at the same time, and was given a 5% chance of living and was in intensive care for about a month...and it's now almost 4 years after that, she's doing pretty good...miracles do happen...
hum...I just remember Dateline NBC last night, all those ministers and rabis caught doing real "Christian things" on the internet and following through with a home visit to a minor.

I know that is not everyone, but they were calling themselves christians and putting the fear of God into their congregation, they are held at a higher standard.
There are 'good' christians and 'bad' ones just like there are good and bad non believers. So, I would suggest eliminating the proclamations of better attitude due to a religious belief, especially if you yourself engaged in insulting and belittling another member not too long ago.  double standard at best.
Maybe some people on here are a little more special than others. Get my drift. Of course sometimes we could all use a little more patients from the group. But lets not get our dander up, just skip over the thread. If someone wants to give someone uncalled for extra attention - what's it to us. We may need it someday. Just a thought.
Everyone can skip over a thread - everyone. Mike
I vouch to skip the next one. and the next...
I'm afraid you missed my point. It wasn't at all that niceguy deserved the jokes sent his way (that's another discussion -maybe he did, maybee he didn't -- and if you look back you'll see that I offered a supporting post). My point is that for some reason you seem to associate good behavior and higher morality with those sharing your Christian beliefs, and credit less admirable traits to we heathens. I don't begrudge you your belief system. Not a bit. But it, in and of itself, doesn't make you a better person than me. Of that I am certain.
Hormone changes, inherited factors, and exposure to the sun can also cause spider veins.
but the golden test for cirrhosis is still liver biopsy, with advanced cirrhosis can be seen using ultra sound
Some people have a doctor complex and you are all ***** who need to be off this site
I also have severe spider veins in both feet and ankles. Just saw my Liver doc and being scheduled for biopsy. I am somewhat concerned of this myself. Will keep you posted. God Bless!

happy283