Hepatitis C Community
Splenomegaly and Lymphoma

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Splenomegaly and Lymphoma

I wonder if anyone knows what would cause splenomegaly for over a year and a half. My doctors keep checking for lymphoma and my research points to splenic marginal zone lymphoma, but I'm at a loss. I just had a bone marrow sample taken for biopsy on monday and am waiting the results, but I'm worried as any normal person would be.
Wondered if anyone had any insite. I know at the beginning of the year my blood work was all screwed up, now my liver numbers are normal, but my antigens and anti-nuclear antibodies are still way high. I have no swollen lymph nodes that I know of, that's why I thought maybe splenic marginal zone lymphoma could be what I have. I had mono in the past, but at least over a year and a half ago, and the doctors are stumped, so am I.
My spleen is causing lots of pain, and it's about the size of a NFL regulation football. I've been taking Tylox for awhile now just so I can work, and I go long periods without an appetite, usually about two weeks, and I have boughts of nausea, and without the tylox I get very dizzy at times. Riding in the car, especially driving, is painfull because the seat have a hump that hits around my kidneys which pushes on my spleen, and turning to look behind me to see if anyone is there is very excruatiating.
Sorry to hear you are having so much pain. Have your doctors tested you for Hepatitis b and c? Do you suspect hepatitis? Just wondering because you didn't mention hepatitis and most of us here on the hepatitis forum have it. Hepatitis can also cause splenomegaly. Please ask your doctor if you have had he test.

Good luck with your bone marrow test results, come on back if you find time and let us know how it's going.
Actually my liver is doing quite well. I don't present anything other than an old mono infection and two of the blood results for that test were very high. I think one was IGG and Antigen. The one was 2014 and should have been between 0 and 99 and the other number was over 400 with the same reference value. I've got the doctors stumped. They keep saying lymphoma, and I keep seeing that as a cause. I didn't have any symptoms till last year in september and that's when I got drenching night sweats, fever usually about 95.5 degrees Fahrentheit, dizziness, fatigue, memory problems, vision problems. I still have symptoms, and adominal (abdominal) pain/back pain around left kidney and some kind of lump on the front edge of my left lung. Bending and twisting really aggrevates things, so laying around is my best option at times. I hurt if I take long trips, usually 30 minutes or more. I had a P.E.T scan done, but no indication of cancer, but the doctors kept insisting on a bone marrow biopsy, and got me in on monday by making the appointment on friday afternoon, and the doctor said she was highly concerned and wanted it done right away. I was healthy all the way up till about 3 years ago, the  I started getting sleepy alot, and had two hernia surgeries and back surgery. I got to be pain free from spring of 2005 till that fall, and everything has been getting weird again. I like to stay in shape, but everytime I start to work out and get stronger and bigger, I get sick, and now I can't even work out because of my spleen hurting.All my organs except my spleen are good, no enlarged lymphs, unless that whats on the edge of my lung, no jaundice, no heart problems, no diabetes, etc., it's a real mystery and I'm worried.
It sounds very hard to deal with. I'd be worried too, it's especially hard when no one can give you answers. I hope they can solve it and come up with a diagnosis for you soon. Best of luck with it.
Hi, I did a search on PubMed for studies and other cases of your situation, here are 25 that I came up with.
Hope this helps and sorry to hear of your problems, hope all turns out alright for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&term=%22Hepatitis+C%22%5BMeSH%5D+AND+%22Splenomegaly%22%5BMeSH%5D

Linda
Just got good news today of a sort. My bone marrow results are negative for cancer and are good. Now I'm taking 40 mg of Prednisone for the next 3 to 4 weeks to see if my spleen will irrigatte itself. If this does not work, then I'll have too have it removed according to the doc, but I have confidence that the prednisone will work. The only thing I'm concerned about now, is drinking enough water so as not to get constipated, and not getting too puffy in the face and everywhere else, but I've used this steroid many times before.
I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for being there.
Have they checked for CSD or Cat Scratch Disease aka Cat scratch fever?????