Hepatitis C Community
Stages

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Stages

What are the stages and how are they defined?  I have no idea what stage I'm in.  Tx 8 yrs ago.  Quit at about 19 or 20 weeks.  It's back now.  I've had it for over 30 years most likely over 35.  
A pathologist will determine stage and grade by looking at a sample of liver tissue from biopsy. Stage attempts to define the amount of inflammation present, while grade relates to the fibrosis, or scarring that has occurred.

There are several different scales used, but the most common currently in use in North America seems to be the Metavir scale. It uses a scale of 0 through 4; 0,1,2,3 are considered to be fibrosis, with stage 4 cirrhosis. There are also systems that use scales of 1-6, so it’s important to determine which method pathology is using.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the following site:

http://janis7hepc.com/

It is a good, easy to navigate primer on HCV, just click on any item of interest in the blue box on their home page. They have a whole section that explains stage and grade if you want to research this a little further. Sorry to hear it’s still around to deal with; your situation is typical of many of us… my most prominent risk of exposure occurred in the early-seventies.

Best of luck to you—

Bill
Thanks I'll check out the site.  I've been avoiding a biopsy.  Now I heard they have a new way to get the same info from an MRI or CT.  I just hate the idea of a needle to my liver.  I know...what a baby!
I would think that the amount of inflammation varies just like the vl.  Or not?