Hepatitis C Community
Staging hepatitis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Staging hepatitis

I will like to know the the staging of hepatitis?.What are parameters do they use now to stage it?.
I need a graphical illusratoins of all the enzymes involve from acute to chronic hepatitis?
Management of Hepatitis in pregnancy,Deliveries options? feeding options?
Effects of hepatitis Immunization on on-going the on-going hepatitis infections?
Hepatis positive babies management options?
Hepatitis c positive and HIV/AIDSin children and adult, What are the available management options and which is the best that is acceptable practise?
Welcome to the discussion group.

That’s a tall order above; it might be a while waiting for all your answers. In the meantime, what is your main concern; is a woman with HCV pregnant? Are you concerned that she might pass her disease on to her child?

HCV is passed from mother to child roughly 5% of the time, if that helps you at all.

Good luck—

Bill

Hi  Solosola,

Welcome to the forum. I just noticed that you are a medical doctor. None of us here is a doctor, except for one member who treated for HCV but doesn't come around much and another who is a scientist (HR, who also doesn't come around much).

As Bill said, there's about a five percent chance of vertical transmission but I don't know if the risk is greater through c-section or vaginal birth, although I would guess the former. I'm quite sure breastfeeding poses no problem, as HCV is strictly via blood-to-blood contact.

Anyone with HCV should be immunized for HBV and HAV, if no antibodies for these are present.

Studies are limited in pediatric hepatology. You can have a look at this thread, which concerns a new member discussing the tx of her eight-year old son:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/8-year-old-Partial-Responder/show/1308678

I took a  peek at your interests that you listed in your profile and was somewhat blown away. What area of medicine do you focus on?

Your interests are very impressive:  allergies, epilepsy, migraines, thyroid disorders, alternative medicine, eye care, nutrition, weight management, arthritis, family health, pain, diet and nutrition, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, children's health, genetics, parenting, back pain, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, headache, pediatric pain, exercise and fitness, weight loss surgery, women's health, asthma, autoimmune disease, lupus, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, bladder diseases, incontinence, overactive bladder, HIV/Aids, heart health, arrhythmias, cholesterol, deep venous thrombosis, heart disease, pet health, cats, dogs, other pets, pregnancy, beauty, fertility/infertility, menopause, trying to conceive (TTC), urinary tract infection, cancer, breast cancer, cancer treatments, chronic myelogenous leukemia, head and neck cancer, lung cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure/hypertension, Hepatitis C, infections, kidney disorders, men's health, smoking, sleep disorders, insomnia, restless leg disorder, skin conditions, acne, eczema, psoriasis, sexual health, senior health, Alzheimer's disease, longevity, osteoporosis, diabetes gestational, diabetes Type 1, diabetes Type 2, digestive health, colitis, acid reflux/GERD, Crohn's, nighttime heartburn, emotional health, ADD/ADHD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, continue medical education, paediatrics, internal medicine, med spec/Interest, general surgery, medical laboratory, nephrology, autoimmune, chest physician, general cardiology, echocardiology, obstetrics & gynecology, reconstructive plastic surgery, child and adolescent psychotherapy, psychiatrics, ENT, neuro-opthamology, neuro-opthamologyl, pediatric opthamology and pharmacology.

Wow. You are certainly a high-achiever! Congratulations on your broad interests. Do you specialize in obstetrics?

Susan

It seems logical to me as a physician you would have much more access to the information you have requested than any layperson on a hepc forum

Here's good website which will require you to register but you may find some of the information you are seeking.

http://www.clinicaloptions.com/Hepatitis.aspx
Here is a brief summary of the progression of stages, I think I posted it in a thread say a few days ago.  This is as far as I've gotten in my research.  Thought I would copy/paste it in here real quick.  It's better to be educated about this than not.  I don't want too little too late to be the case here.  

From the time you are infected six months after that is called the acute phase. The immune system may clear the virus during this time, if that doesn't happen six months after the time you are infected is called the chronic phase or stage. Generally hepatitis c is classified as a liver disease, however the virus can affect other body systems and cause symptoms, illnesses, and other complications outside of the liver.

Changes can occur with your liver if the virus is present. The progression is generally slow moving, but can intially start as inflammation due to virus hijacking, infecting, or killing off liver cells through gradual scarring (fibrosis) and then hardening of the liver tissue (cirrhosis). During progression the immune system plays a highly influential role both in stemming the disease, but in accelerating the scarring of the liver.

Cirrhosis is associated with severe scarring that alters the main structure of the liver. Over-time this can seriously undermine the livers ability to function. In terms of classification cirrhosis is defined as compensated or de-compensated. If your liver is still functioing properly such as carrrying out essential functions then it is compensated cirrhosis. If the livers functions are affected it is called decompensated cirrhosis.

The most series stage is portal hypertension: This is when blood cannot properly flow into the liver and causes bleeding from distended veins (varicies) in the oepsphagus and the build up of abdominal fluid (acites (ascites))

Hepatic Encephalopathy: If blood is forced to bypass the liver it is not filtered for poisons and toxins and there is a risk of serious mental confusion leading to coma. Cirrhosis also significantly increases the risk of developing liver cancer. This can develop from either compensated or decompensated cirrhosis. The time it takes varies. For some it may be quicker, but for others it may take up to sixty years. Cory.