Started GS 7977 & Ribavirin Trial
Hi all!

I started my HCV clinical trial treatment yesterday.

'An Open-Label Study to Explore the Clinical Efficacy of GS 7977 With Ribavirin Administered Pre-Transplant in Preventing Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Recurrence Post-Transplant'
NCT01559844

Primary Outcome Measures:
Determination of post-transplant virological response [ Time Frame: 36 Weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
To determine if the administration of a combination of GS 7977 and ribavirin to HCV-infected subjects with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) meeting the MILAN criteria prior to undergoing liver transplantation for up to 24 weeks can prevent post-transplant re-infection as determined by a sustained post-transplant virological response (HCV RNA <LLoQ) at 12 weeks post-transplant.

Treatment Drugs:

2 200 mg of GS-7977 in morning
3 200 mg of Ribavirin in morning
3 200 mg of Ribavirin at night (12 hours later)

But I am now on treatment and will continue for 24 weeks or transplant, which ever comes first.

I stopped my TB treatment today. I will deal with TB after transplant.
I just had a cancer screen MRI/AFP and I am waiting for the results...

I can't believe that within 4 weeks I will have no viral load for the first time in 42 years!!! Once I become undetectable I will be looking for a transplant. This treatment is my best shot at curing my hepatitis C as a previous null-responder.

I heard through the grapevine that a trial with GS-7977 will be starting for post-transplant patients who are infected with hepatitis C. The cure rate now is only 30% using peg-interferon and ribavirin. Very poor results so we need more options.

Happy- :-))
Hector
i was just thinking about you!!!
ALL I CAN SAY IS YAY YAY YAY!!!
AND MORE OF THE SAME...
i going next wed. for my plan.
can't wait to hear how you do.
i hope it all goes your way.
love jerialice

This all sounds so positive! I have everything crossed for you!
Curious what geno type are you?
I will be watching for your posts.
GOOD LUCK Happy Hector !!!!

Hector, this is fabulous news. I am so happy for you. Wishing you the very best and SVR.
So great to see this!!!

I'm happy for you and the many who may well follow in your footsteps if this works well.

I know it is not risk free but it seems a better choice to me than waiting.

One small step for Hector, one great step........ etc.  : )

willy
I am genotype 1b.

Hector
Great news Hector!! Good luck and smooth sailing.
Willy,

Yes, I am waiting anyway. 6 months and counting down.
So if I can clear my hepatitis C, I will consider that a major achievement. An uninfected donor liver...PRICELESS!

;-)

Hector
Sending happy thoughts and vibes your way.  I am so thankful that you are getting your chance to clear.  This is a very good day.  God Bless!  
Best of Luck Hector,
All the best Hector.  I'll be watching for all your news,
dointime

Hope that you are undetectable soon!    Much better transplant outcomes .....   I hope the sides are manageable.  I know that you can do it!
Wonderful, Hector. I am so happy and hopeful for you.
Good luck Hector , we all will be pulling for you, You have lead and we will hopefully follow.
Lots and lots of good luck. We are all routing for you.
best of tx to you Hector!!
Hector, that is the greatest news!!!! I know you felt very fortunate to have this chance. Good luck to you, I like this trail. Hector, I would be most intrested in that trail you mentioned GS 7977 post tranx. I'm still searching for a tx. If you have any info you could pm me.  This trail could be huge in tranx patients, To not infect  the precious gift of live, that is so great..... You will be a great candidate. Congrats!!!!
Fantastic news Hector, best of luck to you
Great news!  Praying for UND and a donor liver soon.
Advocate1955
Congratulations Hector, and thank you for sharing this good news with us. It gives us all new hope at the same time as giving us a little heartwarming sensation from thinking of your new possibilities.
Congrats Hector. I would be excited too. 42 years?! It is high time you see a lab lab report with your name on it and the words, "Not detectible." I am really happy for you. I hope you post as often as you can to share how you are doing as well as document your experience :)
Way to go, Hector! I'll be following your treatment progress. I've been on the liver transplant list for 3 years and am HCV positive. I underwent interferon/ribavirin therapy last year, achieved a non-detectable status for 12 weeks, but still did not clear the virus. I've recently relocated to Florida from Sacramento (I was listed at CPMC), and am currently undergoing the listing process at Tampa General Hospital. With Telaprevir and/or Boceprevir, the cure rates are considerably higher than you quoted, but they are of course combined with interferon/ribavirin, so the treatment can be difficult. I assume you have genotype 1, and the quoted statistics are for type 1. I'm a type 3 which has a much higher cure rate. The treatment you're undergoing seems to hold the best hope for all patients at this point, and I wish you the best. I'll check back for updates and will be interested to hear about your experiences, possible side effects, etc. Go get 'em!!  -- Dan
Thanks everyone. I am very lucky to have this Gilead trial happen when it did. And my hepatologist scheduled me on the first day of screening at my transplant center. The great people at my transplant center have really made so many things possible for me. They have kept my cancer under control despite having to overcome some issues with the structure of my arteries that made if very difficult to get into my right lobe where my second tumor developed. I could never have done this on my own in so many ways I am dependent on ours. And everyone has come through for me during the darkest of times.

I am committed to this course of treatment as much as anything I've ever been committed to. This next 6 months of my life could be the difference between possibly doubling or even tripling my life span post transplant. It is huge. I will give it my all. If this treatment works or doesn't work is beyond my control. But I am a believer until proved wrong. We are all unique and disease and our response to it and treatment are beyond our control in most ways. But I will do everything I can to be successful not only for myself but for all of the other people that are listed and will be listed for transplant in the future who are infected with hepatitis C. I have seen the suffering of too many patients and their loved ones and hope that us 50 patients in this trial can help to show that there is another option. If I can have a little part in that then I have accomplished something meaningful for others. The progress being made now in all areas of the treatment of hepatitis C is very encouraging. We are all making it a better situation for those who will be dealing with hepatitis C in the future. I know that a lot of folks here have had to battle to overcome their virus. It has been no cake walk for any of us. For most people having hepatitis C has been the biggest medical challenge they have ever faced and dealt with. No small accomplishment! We have seen a lot of courageous people in this forum over the years fight week after week with the side effects and adverse events to complete the duration of their treatment. I think we have so many folks here who are examples for the new comers who see others do something and then begin to believe that they too can do it. People are able to over come their fears when they see others going though treatment week after week.

I have got so much support and encouragement over this last three years since I developed End-Stage Liver Disease and HCC that I know that without that support and encouragement I never could have done this own my own. Having to fatal illness for me has been a very humbling experience.

I can now finally see the light at the end of tunnel. I'm not there yet and I know that my cancer is bearing down on me again. So it could get very scary. But I have come too far to give in the negative right now. I will keep doing everything I can to stay alive and I know my doctors and all the people who I consider my friends and supports will do everything to help me survive this. Since Tuesday I have been waiting to hear if I have a new tumor and if so schedule another local chemo treatment. Nothing I can do about it. What is, is. That is fine. I had done it twice before so I know what to expect. It won't affect my trial and that is what counts right now. I know things could get a lot worse before they get better. Whatever happens I will deal with it or learn to deal with it. No sense anticipating the negative it won't change anything. I am going to stay happy and positive as long as I can. One day at a time. Every day that I am alive is a good day. Hopefully there will be many more. But I have seen too much of these disease to know that there are no guarantees.

Dan, I am genotype 1b and a previous null-responder to peg-IFN and RBV in 2008. So the likelihood that I ever could even become undetectable with current available treatments (using pegIFN) is very low. That is why GS-7977 is my best shot. We (my hepatololgist and myself) had planned on treating going into my transplant with Incivek and I would have tired it even though the chances of being undetectable was at most maybe 20%. I figured even it it caused my liver to fail at least I gave it one last try. I'd still need a transplant just more quickly. Whether I die from liver failure or HCC that is not much difference for me. When I am dead I'm dead. At least I went down fighting the good fight. But luckily my hepatologist heard about this trial (she has done a lot of work over the years with Gilead who is a local Bay Area company) and we changed our approach.

Dan, I hope we get to see some data soon regarding the use of Incivek and  Victrelis in post-transplant patients. And we will see how GS-7977 compares. I am sorry your weren't able to cure your hep C. Hang in there there should be more options available in the near future for folks like yourself.
Good luck at Tampa Dan!

Cheers!
Hector
wow hector ! ...... thanks for all the help you have given to all of us...really good luck......billy
You are a very inspiring guy Hector. I wish you all the luck in the world with this, may the treatment be 100% effective so you can get a problem free transplant soon.
All The Best.

Paul
Best of luck to you. Your patience and determination is paying off.
All the best ,Hector.
Wow! I love your spirit and honestly, it's the only way to go, which I know you know. You're so right, in that you'll be paving the way for others :-) What a true blessing to have this trial come along when it did. There was obviously a plan in the works for your life :-))
Very, very happy for you Hector BIG (((hugs)))
Godspeed my friend,
eric
dear hector,

thats fantastic news.
i hope so much this will work for you and get rid of this virus before transplant.

best wishes
marc
You have helped so many people in their struggle - it is exciting to see you have this incredible opportunity for a cure and a bright future.  You are an inspiration to all of us.  I look forward to seeing the UND post soon.  Will keep you in thoughts and prayers.  
Thinking of you and hoping for the best! We will all be following you. I guess this thread may be the HectorSF thread so we don't miss any updates?
You have helped so many....it's your turn to reap the rewards!
OC
good luck brother, hope it works for you!

peace
I am so very happy for you ! This is such a wonderful opportunity to start anew within such a short time.
By next summer you will have a healthy new liver without the complication of knowing tx again will be in your future.
This is now a real possibility.
I'm sure I can say we are all rooting for you !!

Whew-hooo!  You know what to do, take it one day at a time, and I will steal a line from OH;  "keep your eyes on the finish-line"
   You are in my prayers xoxo ~ Katy
I just finished the 7977 and Ribavirin.  What you will find so amazing is that there are virtually no side effects.  Anemia but they gave me a supplement that took care of that.  4 weeks out und and hoping for the best.  Wishing you the best.  Is all of that stuff you have related to HepC?
brotherdan, try to get on a clinical trial for 7977 and Riba.  Unbelievable cure rates for geno 2 and 3 and virtually no side effects.
Hector SF, Gosh, I sometimes feel like such a jerk.  I wish this thing allowed edits like facebook does.  My post was not in the right spirit and I asked a question that I shouldn't have, I apologize.  With all my heart, I wish you the best, brave Hector.  Somehow, it feels to me like you will be okay, and will have the rest of the life that you want.  Even though the greatest success so far with 7977 has been genotypes 2 and 3, they are still having successes with type I's too and also, Gilead is working feverishly on it.  I just went through it so if you have any questions at all, please feel free,  God Bless you., Donna
You are truely an inspiration to alot of people on here!  Sending good health your way - I lived in the bayarea for over 30 yrs caught Hep C in Vallejo in 1975  I miss the Bay Area wanting to sell and go home (Alameda).  lol

God Bless you Hector and many prayers your way!
What was the supplement they gave you when you were taking Riba?
Best of luck Hector, you have a lot people rooting for you

smaug
LIKE!!!!!!!!
Well you know how I feel about this - I'm absolutely thrilled for you.  I'm so looking forward to reading that UND report, which is sure to be coming very soon.  You've been so incredibly supportive of everyone here, it's your turn to be cured.  Excellent...
Great news Hector...best of luck & slay the buggar....
Hector,
I don't know you well yet as I'm on day 10 of triple therapy, but you have given me great advice and have so much to contribute to this forum.  Everyone relies on you I can see as the expert.  Congratulations and the very best results are wished for you.  Keep us informed.  I hope all goes well.  I just found out my biblirubin is high so I'm going in next Wednesday to get it tested again.  My doctor says this happens with the onset of treatment, but we have to watch it.  He's hoping it settles back down.  I got a UTI immediately so been on antibiotics for a few days and another 5 to go.  Just want I needed!  Take care and best to you....thanks for the great advice.
pat
Hector,

I hope the best to you and I'm sure everything will work out the way you plan, it's just a matter of time.  You and your doctors will be in my prayers.  Take care and  get well soon.

Griz
Hector coming on to join the group prayer and hug for the day!
I am going to try to get here everyday and send these off to you.
it's day one and you did it for today!!
you make us strong!
jerialice

(((*)))
/^\
Hoi, Hector,
I sent you some possitief energie from Holland. You are such a nice person. I hope that you wil come easy throught the next 6 months en become quickly virusfree. And that the new door opens in your life now.
Love Scherpie
GO Hector--GO Hector--GO Hector!!!

In my best cheerleader style, I'm cheering you on from the East Coast!!!  Happy and excited for you, big hugs!!  Really glad I checked in today...

Lapis
here's your CHEER for today! yay, thinking about you and all the healthy cells collaborating!
This is the best news I have heard in a very long time
As usual I am day late dollar short Dee however my best wishes for you are all the more sincere.
As Hawk said, we are all rooting for you
You have been here for everyone on this forum.  We are all here for you
Godspeed my friend
Love
Dee
I am praying that you will be blessed in your new efforts. I and everyone on here will be thrilled to see you succeed. It is absolutely awesome that you have this opportunity to fight on. Best of luck to you and GO HECTOR!!
G
I do believe that your positive attitude will aid you.  I also believe that the good wishes and prayers of everyone here will aid you.  My wish is that this journey you are on be as easy as possible for you.  With deep respect I keep you in my thoughts,
Susan
A little late, but just noticed this fantastic news!!  So great to hear Hector.  Puts a big smile on my face.  Wishing you the best of luck for a successful tx.   You have a ton of people on this forum sending you positive wishes.  Best of luck my friend.  
Wishing you the very best Hector!

Jules
I am so happy to see this news, hector.  I have been thinking about you a lot as we approach 9/11.  I am glad the TB treatment was successful enough for you to stop to do tx and tp.  How often are they going to test your viral load?  How sensitive the test?  I don't remember that you have alive donor lined up, so does that just mean you have to wait until they call your number.  Hector, the success of all of this combined is going to do immense things for the Hep C community.  Thank you for including us.
bean
Tootin the horn over here!!  
Your post was like a big smile with whipped cream on it. Congratulations on your possibilities my friend! d

Ill be cheering you on as well! Thank goodness your doctor is so proactive and obviously determined to find the best trial for you!

Cheers.
That is great! I'm happy for you Hector.  

You have helped so many people on this forum you deserve this chance.

Wishing you the best in the coming weeks.

God Bless
Happy Hugs today! Be Well!
jerialice
Dear Hector, good luck to you, I hope , this time it will work for you!
I have missed so many posts and am just seeing this today.  Very happy for you my friend :0)

Hugs,
Bee
how did i miss this thread? If anyone here deserves a successful outcome it is you my friend. you have helped so many members over the years. i am so happy to read this thread....you will be successful....the best of luck.
Super news! I wii keep you and everyone in my prayers!
I also heard there is a post transplant in the near future!  It is a great day for us all! Best Wishes & Blessings
  Woo hoo!! You go Hector!!  
Such wonderful news, they are doing that trial at Lahey in Boston. I'm waiting for round 9. I am angry and I am going to Slay This Dragon if it the last thing I do. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Good luck Hector ...
hello ...
I asked a question about liver biopsy and its interpretation.
I want you to know, Is treatment with interferon and ribavirin is useful?
and what about 7977 with ribavirin outcome?
I'm from Egypt, Note that the type widespread in Egypt is genotype 4 ..
If you have any info about 7977,,,, When will deliberate and come to Egypt?