Hepatitis C Community
Stevia/curcumin, INTERESTING

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Stevia/curcumin, INTERESTING

Herbal Product Stevioside Inhibits HCV Replication and Curcumin Suppresses Fibrogenic Cell Activity in Laboratory Studies
Last updated:26June2008

Intro
Stevioside
Curcumin
By Liz Highleyman hivandhepatitis.com

Intro
Given the suboptimal response rate and difficult side effects associated with standard interferon-based therapy for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, many patients have used various alternative and complementary therapies, and researchers have assessed several such agents in laboratory and clinical studies.

At the Digestive Disease Week 2008 conference last month in San Diego, researchers reported on 2 plant-derived therapies that may have the potential to inhibit HCV and improve liver fibrosis.

Top
Stevioside
In the first study, Kazuhisa Yuasa and colleagues assessed the in vitro anti-HCV activity of stevioside, an agent derived from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant that is used as a natural non-caloric sweetener.

Stevioside has been reported to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as an antiviral effect on rotavirus. According to background information provided the investigators, some chronic hepatitis C patients who regularly use stevioside have exhibited decreased HCV RNA or undetectable viral load in the absence of interferon-based therapy.

In the present study, the researchers evaluated the antiviral effect of stevioside on HCV replication using HCV replicon systems. They used ORN/C-5B/KE cells supporting genome-length HCV RNA encoding the luciferase reporter gene, and O cells replicating the genome-length HCV RNA in a real-time transcription polymerase chain reaction analysis.

Both cell systems were exposed to several concentrations of sterilized stevioside. The investigators assessed cytotoxicity, effect on signal transduction pathways, and anti-HCV activity (with and without interferon).

Results
• A diluted solution of stevioside demonstrated no cytotoxicites to either ORN/C-5B/KE cells or O cells.
• In both replicon systems, diluted stevioside suppressed HCV RNA in a dose-dependent manner.
• A 1000 times diluted stevioside solution inhibited HCV replication by about 30%.
• The same solution activated interferon-stimulated response element and 2-5A synthesizing enzyme gene promoter, but not the NF-kappa-?B gene promoter.
• Exposure to stevioside and interferon in combination produced an additive, but not a synergistic antiviral effect.

"We showed [the] anti-HCV effect of stevioside and the additive anti-HCV effect by combination of stevioside with interferon in vitro, and the activation of interferon signal was considered as one of the mechanism[s]," the investigators stated.

Thus, they concluded that, "stevioside is a possible antiviral agent for hepatitis C virus infection," and they plan to conduct a pilot study of the safety and efficacy of stevioside therapy for patients with chronic hepatitis C.

Top
Curcumin
Looking at another herbal therapy, Anping Chen and colleagues presented 3 laboratory studies assessing at the effect of curcumin on hepatic stellate cells.

Curcumin is the main component of the curry spice turmeric, derived from the Curcuma longa plant. Prior research indicates that it has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-tumor properties. Hepatic stellate cells produce extracellular matrix proteins such as collagen that are responsible for liver fibrosis.

In the first study, the investigators found that curcumin promotes peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-gamma) gene expression and suppresses expression of the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol receptor gene, which in turn lowers the level of intracellular cholesterol and thereby reduces the stimulatory effect of LDL on hepatic stellate cell activation.

In the second study, the researchers demonstrated that curcumin diminished the activating effect of oxidized LDL on stellate cells by suppressing LOX-1 gene expression, again via PPAR-gamma activation. Conversely, pre-treating the cells with a PPAR-gamma antagonist (PD68235) eliminated the inhibitory effect of curcumin.

Finally, the investigators showed that by increasing oxidative stress, insulin stimulates hepatic stellate cell proliferation and collagen production. But curcumin suppressed insulin-induced stellate cell activation by interrupting the insulin signaling pathway and reducing oxidative stress, via the same PPAR-gamma mechanism.

Hyperlipidemia (elevated blood lipid levels), obesity, and insulin resistance are features of the metabolic syndrome, which is associated with liver steatosis (accumulation of fat in hepatocytes). Steatosis is linked to fibrosis in individuals with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, as well as those with chronic hepatitis C. Further, steatosis and insulin resistance are factors associated with poor response to interferon-based anti-HCV therapy.

The results of these laboratory studies suggest that curcumin or related agents that work by a similar mechanism might reduce fibrosis associated with hyperlipidemia or insulin resistance in individuals with or without hepatitis C.

6/10/08

References

K Yuasa, K Sato, A Naganuma, and others. Stevioside as a possible antiviral agent for hepatitis C virus infection. Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2008. San Diego, CA. May 17-22, 2008. Abstract S1943.

Q Kang and A Chen. Curcumin suppresses LDL receptor gene expression, leading to the inhibition of cholesterol/LDL-induced hepatic stellate cell activation. Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2008. San Diego, CA. May 17-22, 2008. Abstract S1584.

excellent info!  I have great hope that these supplements when added to soc will greatly increase svr rates. Thank you for this.
Thinking that I have two bottles of liquid dark stevia sitting in my cupboard. I don't use it that often, because it is way too sweet. I prefer not to use a little agave nectar.

I did not know that it could be used for hep c. How should it be used and how much, that is the question now.  Gauf??? I'm sure you will come with a strategy in no time... Please let us know what you find out.

To its other uses...

I've used it on infected wounds and it heals up an infection in no time. We had a musician friend come visit from Mali and he had hurt himself before coming and had this nasty infected sore on his heal and was limping. I put the Stevia on him and he almost killed me, it hurt so much. The next morning he was already better and actually asked for more. He walked normal after three days and the wound was totally healed up after 10 days.

Just thinking, maybe one could use it on mouth sores on tx. It stings like hell, but heals fast.

Marcia
check this out--start Alinia predose 7/6 -starting today I'll start loading the grapefruit, 3-4 a day, sip GF juice all day, sweetened with a fair ammount of stevia! (not taking anything that GF would bother) Give the little devils a wake up call. A softening up if you will. I'l also switch my sweetener from agave to stevia thru out tx. Save the oxymatrine and lactoferren for the sub-UNDies. jerry

top off with Lovastatin 20mg qd and have a great day :))
Look into what is rated to be the highest source of anti-oxidants of all, pomegranate juice. You must be sure it's pure. Lander's makes one available at Costco. I drink a small glass every day and the Gastro said he advises it. Careful not to drink too much, as some studies show excessive amounts may affect the kidneys. Just like anything else, do it in moderation. I also take a daily dose of 1000mg of Concentrated Extract Milk Thistle by Rexall, available at Wal-Mart. Sam-E proved not to really benefit the liver, so I stopped that after several years.

Magnum
the conversation about stevia is very interesting to me as I have been seriously thinking about using it in my coffee instead of sugar, can't do the coffee with out the sweetner.  I never knew it had antiviral properties let alone healing abilities.  learn something new every day.

Denise
I'd exercise some caution here.  For years stevia has been pushed by the medical quack community in an effort to disparage artificial sweeteners, which makes me rather suspicious of anybody who advocates its use.  It is illegal in both the US and Europe to use stevia as a food additive, primarily because of its carcinogenic properties.  If I were considering using it, I would do LOTS of research before putting it in my mouth.
I have been taking Stevia in my teas and its excellent as a mouth wash...i also been taking Turmeric morning and night.....added to a glass of orange juice and its amazily delcious.
I must terribly disagree with you. Stevia has nothing to do with quackery. I strongly believe that the reasons for Stevia not having been approved as a sweetener, is due to that the artificial sweetener industry is a huge profitable industry all over the world and it has been threatened by Stevia.  Aspartame has been approved and has been proven to be potentially dangerous. So that speaks for itself.

In Japan Stevia is being used in many commercial foods instead of sugar. Japan has not involved themselves in this political game and has been researching it's safety long ago.

Here is some info on the political issue.

Marcia

Political controversy

The stevia plant may be grown legally in most countries, although some countries restrict or ban its use as a sweetener.
In 1991, at the request of an anonymous complaint, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeled stevia as an "unsafe food additive" and restricted its import. The FDA's stated reason was "toxicological information on stevia is inadequate to demonstrate its safety."[36] This ruling was controversial, as stevia proponents pointed out that this designation violated the FDA's own guidelines under which any natural substance used prior to 1958 with no reported adverse effects should be generally recognized as safe (GRAS).
Stevia occurs naturally, requiring no patent to produce it. As a consequence, since the import ban in 1991, marketers and consumers of stevia have shared a belief that the FDA acted in response to industry pressure.[13] Arizona congressman Jon Kyl, for example, called the FDA action against stevia "a restraint of trade to benefit the artificial sweetener industry."[37] Citing privacy issues, the FDA has not revealed the source of the original complaint in its responses to requests filed under the Freedom of Information Act.[13]
The FDA requires proof of safety before recognizing a food additive as safe. A similar burden of proof is required for the FDA to ban a substance or label it unsafe. Nevertheless, stevia remained banned until after the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act forced the FDA in 1995 to revise its stance to permit stevia to be used as a dietary supplement, although not as a food additive — a position that stevia proponents regard as contradictory because it simultaneously labels stevia as safe and unsafe, depending on how it is sold.[38]
Although unresolved questions remain concerning whether metabolic processes can produce a mutagen from stevia in animals, let alone in humans, the early studies nevertheless prompted the European Commission to ban stevia's use in food in the European Union pending further research.[14] Singapore and Hong Kong have banned it also.[15] However, more recent data compiled in the safety evaluation released by the World Health Organization in 2006[33] suggest that these policies may be obsolete.
I have gotten so used to drinking my herbal teas plain, that even a drop of Stevia tastes too sweet. My husband is a musician and singer and when he has been gigging days in a row, he uses the Stevia and it calms his throat.

It is actually really good for oral hygiene, as it inhibits the development of plaque and may actually help prevent cavities. This is backed by research.

Marcia

I quite agree with the use of it...I've been using it for years because I'd developed insulin resistance and was headed down the path to becoming diabetic. I knew before most about aspartame breaking down into a formaldehyde-like compound (it breaks down at 98' F...Hmmmm Isn't our normal body temp 98.6 F?!?) the stevia is derived naturally from the "sweetleaf plant" (aka Stevia) and a tiny bit goes a long way...I get it in granular as well as liquid form, and have been able to incorporate it into my cooking...I'm happy to say, I'm no longer insulin resistant, and no signs of diabetes...
On a side note about quackery...When my daughter was born, we elected to hold off on immunizing her, as thimiserol (mercury)-free vaccines weren't available as yet. There was a strong link between SIDS,autism, and childhood vaccinations preserved with it. My husband and I were ridiculed and harassed for our stand...Now, 10 years later, the vaccination companies have finally admitted, there IS a link, and have removed this preservative from the injections...Once again, a huge money-maker, with a suppressed
and potentially damaging side effect that, until the distributor was pinned into a corner with 15(+) years of documentation, they kept pushing the "quackery" label on those that claimed their children had been harmed by their product....~Melinda
Those so called "Quackery Sites" are in cohots with  big pharma ,they alays make out rages claims that herbs and spices will either kill you or make your prostate the size of a baseball...ignore them..and believe ,...those sites do exist...again...its all about money...greedy bastards.
Stevia also stop gums from bleeding,...excellent for the mouth.
I so agree with you. I have stayed away from aspartame forever, too. Whenever I look at something saying sugarfree, I get very alarmed. I'd rather have a little sugar in a good old fashioned chewing gum, than chewing aspartame. It's in everything ....

As you say, Stevia is also good for diabetics, in your case, it saved you from becoming.

I will seriously experiment with this during tx, if not for the virus (or rather against it) for tooth hygiene and keeping the mouth from getting ulcers. Especially two drops at night after brushing my teeth, should do the trick.

Lets see what will happen..

Marcia
Its strange how some people think just because a food can help you get well and they turn around and say its snake oil...how bout simple lemons...they are an excellent remedy for a lts of things...a great "liver food" too....come on people smarten up....this message should get some people responding....LOL

I think ANY THING that you INGEST

Will have some effect or not.

Whether it is natural or chemical or man-made.

I think that some things will have positive effects - some will have negative effects and others will still have both.

In this - the lesson merely lies with the individual - and how each individual reacts to medication, supplements, foods, environment, etc.

Each human being is different - with different DNA strands and molecules.

We are not a ONE SIZE fits all.

However, as a whole unit - we can be "common" - in that we commonly may be affected certain ways by specific items.

For example: A person who has ingested anti-venom for a snake --- may tolerate well a snake bite that is poisonous... Whereas - a person who has not taken the anti-venom will die a tragic death. OR --- someone who has a natural resistance may only get very ill.

The reason I note this so strongly --- that each person is affected differently --- is because of how I react to medicines compared to other individuals.

One of the MOST stand out points was made to me when I tried RITALIN.

(For those of you who don't know - I'm ADHD - always have been).

Ritalin, for most people reacts in their bodies like SPEED or Amphetamine. (why? Because that is exactly what it is... LOL!)

Anyhow - when "I" take ritalin...  I get excessively Hungry and very sleepy.

Which goes 100% against the grain of "normal" society.

So - that tells me that I have interesting reactions to medications.

I have also noted that when I drink or eat anything that contains Nutrasweet for an extended period of time - I get very "ill-ish" feeling. And I can't seem to concentrate very well...

So this tells me something important.

What may be good for the goose... May not be good for the OTHER Goose... *grin*

I think when science determines that each person must be treated individually - and that different people have different reactions - we WILL lose this "SNAKE OIL" mentality.

Until then - each of us is shoved into a little box that says "one size fits all".

I hope that made sense.

I'm not much of a Stevia fan - it tastes funny to me. But if it could be put in a pill form - I could take it --- if my body determined that it worked.

Sweet - yeah --- but then I don't like Anise or Licorice either...

Still - hugs to y'all.

Meki

Well said....what works for some does not work for others....for example,when I smoke some "herb" it actually gets my mind in a creative mood and i have all kinds of energy,most people it makes them mellow and calm...for me ita a stimulant...same with blow...in my hey days that is....coca leaf make me relaxed....dont get paranoid ...as pertaining to health foods and supplements...same thing....the goose and gander rules apply in all things in life
There are many valid arguments for and against the use of "natural" substances as remedies.  However, when I became diabetic I did tons of research on the aspartame issue and, based on journal articles by respected physicians and scientists, there is absolutely no proof of the dangers of aspartame - except to people with PKU and migraines.  Period, end of story.  The whole aspartame controversy was started by a spammer named Betty Martini, along with her doctor, H.J. Roberts, and the Mercola people and a few others.  Don't believe them!!  Millions of diabetics have used aspartame and other artificial sweeteners for decades with no ill effect.
My husband is a diabetic and we have attended classes with a registered dietitian who instructed how and what and when to eat.  They encourage the use of artificial sweetners whether it be aspartame, splenda, sweet & low .  We've used aspartame many years and it has not posed any problems so far.  Studies show it also inhibits the growth of plaque and prevents tooth decay.
Trinity  
Anyone who recommends aspartame and says is good for you dont know what the hell is goin on?...plain and simple.
Well, maybe we should just stop drinking the city water and eating all processed food as well as fresh fruits and veggies that have been treated with pesticides and additives.  Oh, and let's not forget the meats and fish as well!!  
I dont eat processed food,i dont drink tap water,i dont eat fish  and i hate dead cows....and i love organic fruits and veggies...im in love with organic whey powder and organic eggs....if it aint organic...i do not consume it into this body.
That works for you and don't have a problem with it.  I haven't grown two heads yet so can't excited about the all natural thing.  Raised 2 kids, both in excellent health.  It's a matter of choice Rocker, doesn't mean you're going to live any longer or feel any better than those of us that choose the YUCKY stuff.  I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.
Trinity
First I must say that I don't suffer from Diabetes, so obviously I am not in the situation to comment on how that illness should be handled. I see my mom-in-law has to inject herself and be careful about what and when she eats, but really, I do not know much more. I guess for a Diabetic sugar can be quite harmful. I have a two diabetic friends, and they both decided to use Stevia instead of artificial sweeteners and it has been working well for them for years now.

But then for Trinity's husband the aspartame is working. (by the way, I have not found any literature on aspartame inhibiting the growth of plaque, just articles on that it does not promote tooth decay.)

I do not have any other health issues than HCV and I am not watching my weight either, as my bmi has never been above 23.  I do believe that refined white sugar is 'poison'. Especially with hepatitis C, it is just another burden for the liver.

My mother-in-law is using a sweetener for diabetics called xylitol, which was originally derived from birch trees in Finnland. It is naturally present in fruits and also maize. It is also used against tooth decay, plaque control and for oral hygiene in special chewing gums and toothpastes. Xylitol is a sweetener which is widely used in Europe.

After all I have researched about aspartame during the last 10 years, I must say that I do not believe it is safe. But that is my opinion. I am very much against chemically fabricated foods, including sweeteners. I'd rather not use any sweetener at all. And that is actually what I do most of the time. I don't use sugar and I don't use sweeteners. I might add a pinch of sugar into my cooking, but that's all. I'm not a fan of ready made foods either. Some raw agave nectar, is also okay. I mainly use it in salad dressings and when I make raw chocolate, which is quite seldom. So I do not really consume any sweet food, except fruits, dried fruits, dates....

After all I have have researched about Stevia during the past 10 years, I must say that I believe it is safe. Safer than sugar and definitely safer than artificially fabricated sweeteners. But again that is my opinion. The reason I would use Stevia is not necessarily as a sweetener, as like I've stated before, I'm not into sweet foods too much. I use it mostly for its healing properties.

IF I would like my herbal teas sweet, would eat cakes (bake cakes) and make deserts and had to chose a sweetener, I would chose Stevia and raw agave nectar. A little organic cane sugar now and then wouldn't hurt either.

So for me all this is merely a health issue, just as much as I don't eat any refined foods like refined flour, refined salt, white rice etc. and I eat all organic and whole grains. I'm vegetarian, I like to sprout and have also grown my own wheat grass. I even went totally raw for a while. I like doing cleanses, etc. A bit of a health freak.

I am not trying to force my opinion on anyone here... but this is just what I believe in.

So you can imagine what an extra 'shock' factor it was to me, when I learned that I had hep c and needed to do chemo therapy.

Back to the subject of Stevia and Aspartame: As these topics are highly controversial, it will be difficult for us to reach a common understanding on this subject.

So lets be happy that we are not all the same and that we can agree on some things and keep our differences on other things.

Marcia

In one way you seem to react as everybody else on ritalina I`m thinking of that wild monkey sex you now.
Fullmoon new moon what ever la luna. LOL
ca
I can totally relate to you, as we are obviously having the same dietary habits. Except the smoking and the eggs... those I don't do anymore.

I even bathe with filtered water and all my spices are organic. And all my personal hygiene products, creams, shampoos, etc., as the skin is the biggest organ. Also detergents and other cleaners for the home. Some ppl say I'm whack, but what the heck... I might as well go all the way while I'm at it.

Marcia
I think it's great that you are on an all natural regiment.  Certainly doesn't hurt anything.
You obviously have more time to prepare food than I do as I have to work full time and the grocery store in convenient.  I'm not unhappy because someone else's opinion differs from mine, I just think it's unfair for someone to criticize those of us that choose not to follow an organic regiment.  Yes, it probably is more liver friendly but it's matter of time, economics, and what we are comfortable with.  Rockerforlife stated he doesn't put anything into his body except organic foods.  Less exposure to toxins I'm sure, but unless he lives in a bubble or up there where Mecky is the air we breathe is full of junk and most of us in the states can't get away from it so all those factors enter into how we choose to live our lives.  
Trinity
Anyway, back to the thread topic. Thanks for posting that, it's less anecdotal and more science unlike most of the replies in this thread. Goodbye Splenda, hello Stevia. Trader Joe's has the best shaker/powder setup. I'm hoping it's not huge dosaging. Nutrition Action says they found that Stevia affects the fertility of male lab rats. . . . . hey! that's me!

Trin...its really easier for me to go the all natural route believe it not...i dont spend a lot of time cookung foods and cleaning up dishes ...Marcia...i finally met someone who does the same as me healthwise...i too have filters in my shower and all my cleaniing products are even organic....i cant stand the smell of commericial soaps anymore and as for organic eggs...i only eat one a days it actually lowers your bllod pressure....eggs are VERY healthy....get crackin
A person does not have to eat meat or fish to to get the required proper amount of protien,as a matter of fact protien from a good whey powder, have higher quailty  of protien...i lived on protien shakes all my life ...its also eaier work for the liver...i also love soya type ground beef done up in wraps....IF YOU DRINK TAP WATER YOU ARE INSANE.
You're not going to bait me anymore.  You are ridiculous and accusatory and I gladly join the ranks of millions of insane people in this country.
Oh, one last thing, are you breathing organic air too?
It's ICE CREAM TIME!!!

Yep!

Meki
Trin....now thats one thing i cannot control...unlless i wear a hepa filter mask or a oxygen tak on my back...BUT...at least im cutting back on my toxic intake...actually...i lovet the taste of organic food better,,,,i cant even go back to eating commericial apples anymore either...they taste like water....once you go organic ..you cant go back
BTW....i eat artichokes by the ton.
Cooking for me is a matter of habit. I grew up making food from scratch and I never changed. I remember raising 5 kids on my own, preparing breakfast, making lunch boxes in the morning, sending the kids off to school, racing to work, coming home in the late afternoon, cooking 2 different kind of dinners (for the vegetarians and the non-vegetarians)... the cleaning... the laundry... Looking back I don't know how I managed. I guess that's how we learn multitasking... Would definitely not be able to do it now.

As said I am strictly organic and probably more extreme than Rocker.  So I do agree with his way of eating of what I know so far, except I don't eat eggs.

I have never tried to impose my eating preferences onto anyone, not even my children. Three of my kids are vegetarian and two are not.
Of course my husband (we've been married for 2 years now) and my youngest son don't have much of a choice, as we live together and I do most of the shopping and cooking. My husband has been a strict vegetarian for much longer than me and my youngest (17) is a non-vegetarian. He eats out, when he feels the need to have meat or chicken, as I don't cook it anymore. We just cannot stand the smell in our apartment. The other children don't live at home anymore.

I agree that going organic is more expensive, but for me it is a choice I can afford. If it was in any way difficult, I would prefer to cut down on other stuff and eat this way. But of course I understand that not everyone even has the leisure to have that choice.

Of course I cannot choose the air that I breathe, but I try to live my life as non-toxic as possible by eliminating all the factors I'm able to.

Do I have an occasional slice of Pizza? Yes, maybe once every 3 months, from this pizzeria with the wonderful Neapolitan chef, who makes the greatest Margherita with Mozzarella in town... who could resist? I can't! Is it organic? No.

When I travel I often cannot eat all organic, so there are exceptions. But as long as I'm in my own home I do.

It is none of my business to criticize anyone who does not share my ideas on this. And I would never allow myself to judge others on this issue. I am happy though, to see that there is someone who does share my way of seing this, as I might be able to get some good tips of stuff i don't know yet. What does make me mad sometimes is when people tell me I'm too picky and what's the big deal. I do get that sometime. I do not criticize people for not being picky.

May everyone make their own choices and let the others do theirs.

Marcia

I just find it sad that instead of having a good and healthy discussion this thread is turning into something else.

I eat the occasional steak..once a year at my work golf turney....ill admit i dont alays eat organic either...its impossible almost....BUT...when i can i do....as a matter of fact this weekend ill be wolfing down a delliso spicy chicken pizza....i do treat myself...its Canada Day so i got to celebrate ....Marcia...so far this thread seems to be ok.
I don't care if people eat bark.  I wasn't critical of anyone who eats organically.  As I said, I think it's great if that what someone chooses to do.  And my comment "I just think it's unfair for someone to criticize those of us that choose not to follow an organic regiment" was not directed toward you. It was in reponse to RFL "Anyone who recommends aspartame and says is good for you dont know what the hell is goin on?...plain and simple."  And then there was the next comment by the same individual:
"IF YOU DRINK TAP WATER YOU ARE INSANE." Those comments are asinine and that's how a perfectly good thread turns tragic.
Trin
Okay, since we're switching threads constantly, what about sticking with the subject that was posted? This site could fall apart very easily if we don't. Not everyone is interested in infighting, People barking, people drinking insane tap water, eating a rare steaks, organic poisoning of the mind, organic air, it's all nonsense really. Let's stick to an interesting subject instead. Drilling for oil in protected lands so we can get gas cheaper...

Magnum
I sure have to agree regarding aspertame.  I researched it out some months back and based on what I found I stopped all intake of any products containing aspertame.  A few points.

1.  It is banned in the E.U. for ALL childrens products.

2. In 1981  Donald Rumsfeld, then CEO of Searle Pharmaceutical made the big push to get the product approved.  And Donald wouldn;t lie to us about safety issues would he?

3. When liquid aspartame is stored in temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit, it breaks down into DKP and formaldehyde, both of which are known toxins.  Body temperature is what now ?

4. Emory University Professor of Pediatrics and Genetics, Dr. Louis Elsas, testified before Congress in 1987: "Aspartame is a well known neurotoxin ..."

5. Feb 5, 2008  New York Times ... Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet soda and metabolic syndrome — the collection of risk factors for cardiovascular ..

Google it up.  It is an eye opener.  I stopped all aspertme intake ,

There is legislation pending in the E. U. to ban aspartame for children's products, but it hasn't passed because there is nothing to it.  As for formaldehyde, fruit juice breaks down to an equal amount of formaldehyde as aspartame-spiked soda.  Donald Rumsfeld was the CEO of Searle - this is true, but he was involved in far greater lies than these and had little or nothing to do with the development of Searle's products.  Louis Elsas is one of only a few physicians to testify against aspartame.  Most legitimate and reputable doctors and scientists find it safe.  

The only true statement in your post is the one about metabolic syndrome.  There does seem to be a correlation.  And of course, if you have migraines or PKU, you shouldn't use it.

Actually, I try to avoid artificial products in general, especially junk foods.  But to single out aspartame is to fall victim to major quackery, and I challenge you to find me a reputable journal article, other than the recent Italian study, that proves otherwise.  I've researched this matter to a great extent, and it all comes down to "Dr." Betty Martini (her PhD comes from an unaccredited bible college and cost a few hundred dollars and no course work) spamming the internet.
One other thing: Given the choice between sugar and aspartame, I'll take aspartame any time.  There is simply no comparison.  And if you have diabetes, it's way better to drink an aspartame sweetened drink than fruit juice, but it's best to have a piece of whole fruit.
Okay, here's another bone to chew on...I've also used Xylitol...Not as much as Stevia, but it is a sugar alcohol and occurs naturally in the body..it too is an alternative for diabetics...since starting txing, I've stayed away from it, as I wasn't sure how exactly it was processed...But this I know... It coats surfaces like teeth and the urinary tract, making it difficult for bacteria to stick to them...Dentists are now putting it in toothpaste and chewing gum, rather than aspartame or white sugars, because of the same, and it tastes nice...It has to be used in small amount or, like any sugar alcohol, it has a laxative effect...(so it's self-regulating-Pardon the pun!)...LOL...
Many of our soldiers that came home from the Gulf war had odd unexplained illnesses that were finally pinned down on a few things...Drinking tons of sugar-free sodas that sat on pallets in the 120F desert sun, and vaccinations for anthrax...(Nice combo, huh?) They experienced all kinds of problems including neurological, abdominal, skin, and more...these problems were consistent with what one would get from foramlyn ( formaldehyde component) poisoning...I'm a skeptic, and don't believe everything I read, just because someone says it's so.  I want to know WHY. (Drove Mom nuts as a kid...LOL)                                                                   ~Melinda
-I'm fortunate enough to be able to live on well water, raise my own food, and have a garden...I don't know how a person living in the city would accomplish this, as they wouldn't have these things readily available...I too am prepared to take care of my own in the event of a disaster...I think this thread is as much about awareness of the things that effect you, as anything...                                              ~Melinda
When diet soda breaks down in 120F desert sun, it goes flat and tastes awful.  It would be difficult if not impossible to drink the stuff.
Are you guys fighting over something that's supposed to be sweet?

Some like it - some don't... It's all just sweet stuff.

So be sweet!

Meki
I'm sorry, if it sounded like I was accusing you of anything.... I did not mean to. I was just explaining how I felt about myself and others. I understand that you are not criticizing the way others eat.

I do agree with you that Rocker's 'INSANE' comment was out of place. I believe that there is a certain etiquette one should use conversing with each other...

I myself don't drink unfiltered tap water and I carry a bottle which has a filter with me. I can put tap water in it where ever I am and it filters it. Knowing what's in tap water, I really do not want to drink it. I don't consider the people who do not know about this insane though.

Marcia

Since we have been treading all over the original thread, starting with the discussion if Stevia is good at all.... I think we've pretty much killed the original thread.

I doubt it will be possible to go back to the original subject. I personally am very much interested in how it could help during tx, regarding VL and what the dosage should be, as it is not obvious from the study. I personally have it in the form of the dark unrefined liquid.

Maybe we should start a new thread only dedicated to its medicinal uses while on tx.

Marcia
Just wanted to say that there is xylitol in all the Biotène Oral Hygiene products. I have also googled 'xylitol drug interactions' and have not anywhere found a proof where there are any interactions stated. So it should be safe.

Marcia
My reason for looking into stevia is because hubby's blood pressure has gotten higher even on meds.  The GP asked if he used artificial sweetners, which he did.  GP said that the overuse of such can cause bp to rise.  I googled the question--can artificial sweetners cause high blood pressure-- I got many hits on the subject.  He cut out the sweetners 3 weeks ago and bp is high normal.  BUT stevia seems to be a better alternative than sugar.  This is not TX related but it is health related.

Denise
One more fact i would like to add...the kind odf stevia that has the most healing properties is the water baed type...the alcohol type is ok foe using a few drops as a mouth wash...i also dilute the water based one...its real thick.
i can spell...sorry just having a hard time seeing the key board...looks like ill have to get some bifocals...LOL
First, I find the source to be a creditable source of information; Hivandhepatitis.

Stevia is possibly good for a number of reasons;

It inhibits viral reproduction, thereby possibly reducing our viral load.

It is virtually calorie free, thereby reducing the number of "empty" calories we consume with white sugar.  Over time this can have positive effects on our weight and blood chemistry.

I agree with what Meki said about all of being different.  That true for diets too...... but EVERY diet plan, from Atkins to Pritikan agrees that white sugar is toxic over-consumed, particularly by Americans.  Many think it also reduces immune response.  Many feel that overconsumption of it leads to insulin resistance and diabetes.  This is one reason that Americans have a lower SVR rate than Europeans.

Since many heppers are also prone to diabetes....wouldn't it make sense to limit our sugar intake?

By the way...... insulin resistance also makes it much harder to clear the virus when you treat.  IF you gorge on white sugar and become insulin resistant you are in effect burning your bridges when you decide to TX.     You are ....what you eat.

Just a few "factoids" to consider about white sugar and stevia.

best,
Willy
"The only true statement in your post is the one about metabolic syndrome"

No, Actually every statement in my post was true in the and easily googled with just a couple of key words (i.e. aspertame and "formaldehyde" or aspertame and "banned" for example) .

How one chooses to interpret the data is always open to interpretation.  One   interpretation is to believe the Big Pharma-type companies who say that aspertame is perfectly safe.  Another would be to believe the very many legitimate scientific investigators who say either that it is not OR have very serious questions about it.  (Google is your friend again).  It's kind of like global warming.  It's all in the interpretation.

I choose to be safer rather than sorrier.
If my memory serves me well (it usually doesn't) there were other posts that related that there is one specific type of circumin used in the HCV tests. It was called "Bio-Circumin" and can be obtained from Life Extension Foundation, at least that is where I get mine. Don't let the prices scare you if you go to LEF. I get all my LEF stuff from Betterlife ******* and it is ALOT cheaper.

Did someone say on this thread the best source of Stevia? I choose not to read all the filler. Convenient Stevia might not be the best. I see mention of "water based" versus "alchohol based".
" It is illegal in both the US and Europe to use stevia as a food additive, primarily because of its carcinogenic properties. "

Could you please provide a medically reliable article for this assertion? When I google "stevia" and "carcinogenic " I get tons of articles that declare it is specifically not carcinogenic.

I understand that you are diabetic (?) and that you use astertame.  Remember the sugar substitute based cyclomates?  How the same drug companies said that they were so safe?  And how it turned out many years later that those cyclomate based sweeteners were cancerous?  I remember that.
I have always read that the best stevia should be the dark liquid, as it is the most natural  concentrated, unrefined form of it. The stevia leaves are boiled in water and it turnes into this dark syrup.

I don't know which form of stevia should be used for diminishing viral load though. And what the dosage is???

Marcia
Ok, I saw the start to this thread that they referenced "Stevioside" so I google that and came up with this as the best stuff (Jaja Stevioside). Correct me if I'm wrong:
http://www.emperorsherbologist.com/buy-stevioside.php

Contnueing to click on google results gave me this about it's side effects:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561506
Great questions - I would be very interested in such answers also.
I'm reposting this part of one of my earlier posts.

First paragraph....   Stevia requires NO patent... Hmmm.... that means that one cannot make big money on it...

And then the last paragraph that stevia is allowed to be used as a supplement, but not a food additive???

This is enough proof for me to show that there is something fishy going on....  

Marcia

Beuatiful!.... Thanks for the link.... I just had to post it ... so here it is

Laboratory of Plant Physiology, Catholic University of Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 31, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium. jan.***@****
Stevioside is a natural sweetener extracted from leaves of Stevia rebaudiana (Bertoni) Bertoni. The literature about Stevia, the occurrence of its sweeteners, their biosynthetic pathway and toxicological aspects are discussed. Injection experiments or perfusion experiments of organs are considered as not relevant for the use of Stevia or stevioside as food, and therefore these studies are not included in this review. The metabolism of stevioside is discussed in relation with the possible formation of steviol. Different mutagenicity studies as well as studies on carcinogenicity are discussed. Acute and subacute toxicity studies revealed a very low toxicity of Stevia and stevioside. Fertility and teratogenicity studies are discussed as well as the effects on the bio-availability of other nutrients in the diet. The conclusion is that Stevia and stevioside are safe when used as a sweetener. It is suited for both diabetics, and PKU patients, as well as for obese persons intending to lose weight by avoiding sugar supplements in the diet. No allergic reactions to it seem to exist.
As to your stevia link, I personally prefer the real stuff, as raw as possible. And on top of it, one can use the dark liquid on sores etc. Actually I just got back from the dentist a couple of hours ago. She did quite a lot of work, as I want to get it all done before starting tx. I bit myself in the lip, without it feeling it. It is looking quite nasty and I keep on putting stevia on it. It stings like hell the first few times, but I can already see that it is starting to help.

Maybe the powder is tastier, I have never used it. I have used the pulverised dry leaves and the black liquid. I also got some clear drops from my sister in Paris, but I didn't like that too much. It doesn't have the herbal taste.

I have no idea which one is more concentrated. It will probably be difficult for us to find out.

Marcia
I think we need to open a new thread going back to orleans original post about HCV TX with stevia.

marcia
Hey I'm a guy. I eat a few raw vegeatables but I'm not going to go around chewing on leaves. I just plan to replace my Splenda and only for my morning oatmeal, oatbran and only becuase of the original post of this thread that it cust down on the vermin.

The healing properties are anecdotal, I'm thinking. But if they work for you . . . . . .
Okay i am a chef, I have diabetes, I have been doing this hep c thing for about eight years.
stevia taste like manure.
I have seen people go down the tubes eating it.
I aint buying it, I will let others guinae pig it first.
aspartame is A tool of the devil.
splenda rocks!!!
white flour, refined sugar are the enemy
my blood sugar is better than non diabetics(80 to 90 in the am)
FINALLY!!! DON'T LAY NONE OF THAT COSMIC **** ON THE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

Splenda is refined to the hilt...commericialized junk...sorry for being so blunt...but ya gotta know the facts...again do some research on splenda and you will find out....another benefit if this woderful plant is it actually enchances the flavour of teas...this has to be a plant grown in the gardens of eden
Splenda side effects
Observational evidence shows that there are side effects of Splenda, including skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain. These show up at one end of the spectrum — in the people who have an allergy or sensitivity to the sucralose molecule. But no one can say to what degree consuming Splenda affects the rest of us.

http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/splenda.aspx
http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/homehort/plant/stevia.htm
We are celebrated a co-workers birthday today and had key-lime pie made with Splenda.  mmm, it's was delicious.    
woah!  but i thought ppl on tx shouldn't take herbal substances unless their doctor says yes.  
From the Mayo Clinic:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevia/AN01733

"Stevia is an herb that's used as an artificial sweetener in certain parts of the world. Stevia extracts can be hundreds of times sweeter than sugar. Stevia has virtually no calories and doesn't raise blood sugar levels. Some studies suggest that stevia may help treat type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Side effects of stevia are generally mild, such as muscle weakness, dizziness and nausea. But questions about the risks of stevia linger, including possible effects on the reproductive system and kidneys. In the United States, stevia is available only as a dietary supplement. The Food and Drug Administration hasn't approved the use of stevia as an artificial sweetener or food additive. If you're considering taking stevia as a dietary supplement, consult your doctor about the possible risks and benefits."

So, it MAY be safe, but...  

The thing that bothers me is that the anti-aspartame nuts frequently seem to be stevia salesmen, which makes the stuff awfully suspicious.  

No legitimate studies have found problems with aspartame, and as a matter of fact, it is now known that cyclamates were mistakenly withdrawn from the market due to improperly conducted research.  They would probably be sold again, except that other artificial sweeteners like aspartame and splenda came out in the meantime and taste better.

Again, I challenge you to find me a citation on the dangers of aspartame that does not come from Martini, Roberts, Olney, Mercola et. al.  If it comes from a legitimate medical journal, I'll eat my hat (if I owned a hat), but if it comes from one of those "holistic" anti-vaccination sites, it is basically an opinion, not a fact.

The Food and Drug Administration hasn't approved the use of stevia as an artificial sweetener or food additive????....how can they...its not...simple as that....FDA are the commericial food industry are in bed together...FDA only approves pharma drugs most off the time...same with the coconut oil delimma we had back in the 60`s i think it was..trying to say  it was bad for you...i DO NOT trust the FDA.
I agree that no government agency can be trusted, but who can we trust?  If they're not paid off by big pharma, they're paid off by big herbal.  And believe me, the herbal supplement industry is huge, and as corporate as any of the pharmaceutical companies.

It's difficult to know the answer to this.  But I cannot buy the conspiracy theory that some people expound, because I just cannot believe that every reputable medical journal would play along.  All I'm saying is be careful.

When I first became diabetic, I bought into the anti-aspartame story, until some of my diabetic family members set me straight.  My sister-in-law, for example, has been diabetic since 1951 - and she's the healthiest person I know.  She has been using artificial sweeteners all along, as as every other diabetic I know.  As with anything that's made in the lab, she knows not to overindulge.  But we shouldn't overindulge in much of anything.  Too much licorice causes the runs, for example.  And the worst thing for you, the very, very worst thing, is sugar.  All kinds of sugar, from sucrose, to fructose, to corn syrup, to honey.  Yes, even honey, despite its content of healthy ingredients, can be dangerous in excess.  As for sodas, whether diet or naturally sweetened, the carbonation is extremely dangerous for your digestive system and your teeth.

Moderation in all things, I believe, is the way to go.
I make A chocolate turtle cheese cake with splenda that is superb.
one thing i think allot of us miss is the quality of life quotient, if we
denie ourselves all the good things then what are we living for anyway.
I mean come on do you apes want to live forever???
I for one do not if it means i have to live in a plastic bubble breathing
rareified air and drinking purified water.
sanity and balance are my goals
"The thing that bothers me is that the anti-aspartame nuts frequently seem to be stevia salesmen, which makes the stuff awfully suspicious."

I assure you that that just because one has come to a different conclusion than yourself regarding an artificial sweeter does not mean that one is nuts.

We're trying to share information here that may be helpful to others - not diss each other.

I have reported your post to the forum's moderators.

and I have found two reputable peer-reviewed journal articles regarding links between aspertame and cancer and aspertame and liver disease (insulin insensitivity) which I will be glad to provide to any forum member who, unlike yourself, does not believe that I am a nut.
Would you please provide links to those peer-reviewed articles.  I'm always willing to have an open mind.
Also, I did not call YOU a nut.  The nuts, as I stated, are the anti-aspartame spammers such as those who basically destroyed my diabetes group, alt support diabetes, with their vitriol and lies.  That group was once active and helpful, much like this group, until those folks started filling up the threads with their spam.

If you care to report me to the forum's moderators, fine.  I'll report you.  I didn't diss anybody here.  I only dissed certain notions.
Just because i drink pure water...distilled i may add...does not mean i have to live in a bubble...i just have a counter top distiller, simple...ya can get em at sears...now i wouldnt mine living in a bubble with solar panels...hey free electricity for my water distiller and i can go fishing in a buuble house too...dont they float?
I thought you were referring to stevia to be used for medicinal purposes. Regarding which one to use for antiviral purposes in combination with tx.

With raw, I didn't mean chewing on leaves.... that I would probably not get into either... I meant more raw form than the powder or clear drops... I really like the dark liquid.

I don't use stevia as a sweetener, but I understand that one would not want to drink coffee with licorice taste. For that purpose, I agree that the site you referred to seems to be an excellent choice.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Marcia
I wanna say something about water, I live in Swedens second biggest town 700 000 ppls With suburbs (Gothenburg) the say we have good water compared with other citys.

But I dont like it at all, I have getting my water from a spring in 25 years of and on.
Not the latest 10years though been using the water from the tap when cooking boiling coffee, tea etc but bying in bottles when drinking straight.

I have several times served coffey brewed on springwater without people knowing that, and every time I´ve got coments about what a fantastic delisiuos coffey I had.
If there is such a big differens in how the water taste even when as coffee ,  kind of make you aware of the differens,

BTW for 9 years i was a vegetarian took alot of drugs though, even iv used for 12 years used springwater when shoting up and persuaded my self I was quite healthy compared with theme darned meet eaters .
Lying in the gutter feeling superior to theme much better of.

And why did i stoped this vegeterian lifestile let me tell you, sometimes I went to a vegeterian resturant and I who has been playing soccer icehockey all the time while growing up.
I suddenly saw that almust everyone that used to eat at that resturant they didn´t look healthy at all on the contrary pail, hardely any muscles  whatsoever, that scared the shiit out of me if I would end up looking like them so I went and byed the biggest steak i could find!
End of that vegetarian story and that was 26, 28 years ago or something.

ca
I am not a vegetarian...i eat organic whey and organic meats and eggs...the meat i only do for a treat ....but i swear by the whey and eggs for PURE protien....stuff i take is called harmonized protien made by a company called Progressive...best protien on the planet....i do believe the human body needs a clean source of animal protien in order to build the best muscle mass and tone....i was only on soya protien tru my last TX ...im thinkn thats why i lost some much weight..thios time ill gorge on my whey from heaven.
Hi...I'm a very part time lurker with hcv geno 1b. Tx was and still very bad for ME..and of course didn't work. Shall see about treating again..but differently. Not sure.
Anyway...Hello!

I just purchased some Curcumin and Stevia for medicinal use. However I have been using these in the more natural forms..leaves and whole root of turmeric ( the Indonesian variety, i think it is, is the most potent) in foods and beverages and won't get into the debate here.
Today, I bought a bottle of Stevia after studying all the various companies and types.
I chose the bio-chelated form that is alcohol free and is cold processed and concentrated. Serving size is 14 drops in water and it does state it contains per serving 500 mg of the fluid extract and guaranteed..they say..to have at least 50 mg of the Steviosides.
The others don't have much, if any, info on amounts.

The latest findings on Stevia intrigued me because someone had introduced me to a manufacturer of an herbal tincture that uses the whole herbs and one  of the ingredients is Stevia. From the smell, taste, looks and texture, I think that Stevia is more at the top of the short list of this extremely expensive concoction than the other herbs and roots.
The concoction is supposed to lower viral load and alt/ast tremendously within  3 to 9 months.
If anyone is interested, say so and I will send info...and no...i have not a thing to do with the company.
Like I said, it made me feel ill.
But reminds me of the 'snakeoil' accusations about gyconutrients.
Well. it's proven that in particular is the glyconutrient, lactoferrin..there is low ones made.., is an immune modulator raising interferon-alpha and is therapeutic for inflammatory diseases, cancer, infectious diseases such as chronic hcv. Studies with humans have been done. Not a cure but a very good immunebooster.

I think we who are doing the Stevia should get a blood work up if haven't done so more recently..if possible..and then in a few months, get tested and see how it's doing.

I've gotten a lot out of reading this forum when I do..mainly due to time constraints.

Thanks...rambling here.
just thought this was worth briinging up again...if stevia does lower the hep c virus..this would be a great thing to do before starting tx...wouldnt you all agree?
"It is illegal in both the US and Europe to use stevia as a food additive, primarily because of its carcinogenic properties"

Japan, Brazil and Paqraguay have used Stevia as a food additive for years.  In the US, the FDA determined that there wasn't sufficient proof that it was non-toxic and banned its use as a food additive....but it is sold as a "food supplement" and used for food and drink items billing themselves as "dietary supplements", such as the Stevia-sweetened diet drink Zevia.  

The FDA based their decision on two studies done back in 1968.  The first study done on female rats showed that drinking a concoction of Stevia LEAVES and STEMS reduced fertility.  The second study showed that STEVIOL, a breakdown product of Stevia, MIGHT cause genetic mutations.  

However, one should note that the present Stevia products are now purified and neither stems nor Steviol are used.

Stevia contains Rebaudioside and Stevioside.

The component of Stevia used in the HCV study that lowered the viral load was Stevioside....and Rebaudioside is the part used as a sweetener.  

Furthermore, in 2006, the World Health Organization reviewed dozens of studies done on Stevia and concluded that Stevioside and Rebaudioside were unlikely to harm DNA or the reproductive system.

Last month, the Journal of Food and Chemical Toxicology published 8 studies that showed no reproductive toxicity in rats exposed to Stevia for two generations.  And two human studies showed that 1000mg of Rebaudioside daily was safe.  

Rebaudioside is considered safe.  It is now on store shelves in New York under the brand name "TRUVIA".....with the FDA's blessing.
The recent study showed that Stevioside lowered viral load and the investigators knew patients who used Stevia regularly and cleared the virus without treating with interferon.

Many studies have shown that Stevia lowers insulin resistance, and it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.  Since many heppers are insulin resistant, and insulin resistance lowers SVR, Stevia may be a way of increasing SVR.

And unlike the grapefruit study which didn't use interferon, the Stevioside study DID!  And Stevioside and interferon showed a dose-dependent ADDITIVE effect.  So together they lowered the viral load more.  But they didn't show a SYNERGISTIC effect.  That means that Stevioside doesn't affect the concentration or blood level of interferon, which would make it safe to use during treatment.  Plus, the serving size for Stevia is very small.... about the size of a sesame seed.  And the study used a diluted solution.  So you wouldn't need to take much.

A word of caution:
Be aware that many of the companies that sell Stevia add fillers to their products to make them weigh more.  Things like ....rice, corn, silica, lactose, etc.  So make sure you look at the list of ingredients. It should have nothing added to it.

Stevia contains Rebaudioside and Stevioside.  The Rabinoside is sweeter, so companies will tell you that their product is/tastes better because it has more Rabinoside than other products.  But what you want is the STEVIOSIDE (that's what the HCV study used to lower the viral load), which has a slightly bitter, licorice or grassy taste.  Also, stay away from the liquid Stevia....it's diluted and sometimes it contains a small amount of alcohol.  

Stevia is very sweet so the serving size is a very tiny amount....about the size of a sesame seed so you don't need to buy large amounts.  And no, I'm not a distributor....LOL
The FDA are a bunch of idiots.....sorry...they say its ok to put all the preservatives and pseticides in our foods,,,but a simple natual sweetener is toxic....FDA CAN KISS MY ***